Darla or Dahlia

I love [name_f]Darla[/name_f]. I think it’s short and sweet. [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] is pretty too. Any thoughts? Also a middle name to go with either. I like [name_f]Grace[/name_f] but am open to ideas.
I’m kind of obsessed with two syllable names ending in an ‘a’. It’s for the little sister of [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. [name_f]TIA[/name_f]!

I prefer [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]. I can’t say [name_f]Darla[/name_f] without a strong country twang, but that’s probably just a regional thing.

I prefer [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] too, it’s very sweet. For middles, I like your suggestion of [name_f]Grace[/name_f]. [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] is beautiful.

[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] grace! I would be happy to meet a little [name_f]Darla[/name_f] though!

I adore [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] too btw & the connection of [name_f]Rose[/name_f]/dahlia is sweet:)

[name_f]Darla[/name_f] to me is really unattractive, but I love [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f].

[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] [name_f]Faye[/name_f], [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], something short for the middle. I love [name_f]Dolly[/name_f] as a nickname.

[name_f]Darla[/name_f] reminds me of the little girl in Finding [name_m]Nemo[/name_m]… “Fishy, WHY ARE YOU SLEEPING?!” Haha… [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] gets my vote! [name_f]Darla[/name_f] is a nice name, I think I’d like it more if I had a better, or just simply more, associations. :slight_smile:

[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] is lovely

Yeah, I’d also pick [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] over [name_f]Darla[/name_f]. [name_f]Grace[/name_f] is pretty, just quite over-used as a middle such as [name_f]Marie[/name_f] or [name_f]Anne[/name_f]. But I guess the reason for that is because they flow so well with many names.

I like [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] wayyy more than [name_f]Darla[/name_f].

[name_f]Darla[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] would be so cute together! [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] is really pretty too, but for some reason at the moment, I love [name_f]Darla[/name_f] :slight_smile:

[name_m]Ah[/name_m]! Thanks for your comments! I’m just concerned that [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] might be a bit too flowery is she is a bit of a tomboy. But I do like the flower association with [name_f]Rose[/name_f].
What do you all think about [name_f]Darla[/name_f] [name_u]James[/name_u] or [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] [name_u]James[/name_u]? [name_u]James[/name_u] is a family name and I know that it’s becoming more popular as a girls name. Edgy or a no, no?
Thanks!

[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] [name_u]James[/name_u] would get my vote!
I don’t get a tomboy vibe from [name_f]Darla[/name_f] at all…quite the opposite! [name_f]Darla[/name_f] seems very darling and girlie.

I think I would save [name_u]James[/name_u] for a boy, or feminize the name. I would say anything starting with a J or containing any of the letters could work imo, honor naming doesn’t have to be direct.

But that’s just me. I hardly even like unisex names for girls, let alone a full-blown boy name, which I consider [name_u]James[/name_u] to be.

So I’m a fan of sisters [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] as a sweet and potentially spunky pair. I get the [name_f]Grace[/name_f] being considered “overused” argument, but I think it depends on why you’re using it. Does the concept of “[name_f]Grace[/name_f]” in association with your children speak to your spirit and say something about a quality you value? Or does it seem like an easy “filler” like [name_f]Marie[/name_f]/[name_f]Ann[/name_f]/[name_f]Beth[/name_f]/[name_u]Lynn[/name_u] have been in past generations?
I also hear the argument about [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] being a little more girlie if your daughter turns out to be more of a tomboy. In my experience these things take care of themselves - like a little [name_f]Katie[/name_f] choosing to go by [name_f]Kat[/name_f] as a teen, or a [name_u]Jamie[/name_u] going by [name_u]James[/name_u] as my niece chose. I can see a hip, cool [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] embracing her full name or the nickname Dahl with ease.
Not a fan of [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] [name_u]James[/name_u] - seems trendy; a little less timeless.
Not a [name_f]Darla[/name_f] fan - even though my neighbor has an adorable black lab by that name. Haha. I also heard the voice of that awful child in Finding [name_m]Nemo[/name_m]!

Hm, so [name_f]Darla[/name_f] and [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] are both pretty frilly. ([name_f]Darla[/name_f] reminds me of the girl from The [name_m]Little[/name_m] Rascals :slight_smile: If a girl is a tomboy, I think she’ll be able to hold her own no matter what her name is. I’m still in the [name_f]Darla[/name_f] camp!

I like [name_u]James[/name_u] as a name for a girl, but I don’t think you should go back on [name_f]Grace[/name_f] just because it’s commonly used. It’s commonly used because it’s pretty! I like the contrast though of the frilly name and then boyish name in the middle.

What about a name like [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], which is feminine but can have the nickname [name_u]Cory[/name_u]? [name_f]Delia[/name_f] was the name of a tomboy girl on the show Everwood and it totally worked.

Others:
[name_f]Jessamine[/name_f] - nn [name_u]Jess[/name_u] or [name_u]Jessie[/name_u]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f] - could call her [name_m]Will[/name_m], [name_m]Wills[/name_m], or [name_u]Billie[/name_u]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] - [name_m]Matt[/name_m] or [name_u]Mattie[/name_u]
[name_f]Roberta[/name_f] - [name_u]Bobbie[/name_u] or just [name_f]Roberta[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] - [name_u]Jo[/name_u]
[name_f]Thomasin[/name_f] - [name_m]Tom[/name_m] or [name_m]Tommy[/name_m] (basically all the boy to girl names)
[name_u]Piper[/name_u] or [name_u]Pepper[/name_u] - spunky and genderless

In To Kill a Mockingbird, [name_u]Scout[/name_u]'s birth name was [name_u]Jean[/name_u] [name_f]Louise[/name_f]. I say anything goes and again, I think a girl can pull off whatever she wants to and make it her own. [name_f]Darla[/name_f] [name_u]James[/name_u] would work if later on she wanted to be called [name_u]James[/name_u] or [name_u]Jamie[/name_u]. Or she could have another nickname altogether!

I strongly prefer [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] over [name_f]Darla[/name_f]. [name_f]Darla[/name_f] has a bit of a southern tinge to me. As for as [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] may be a tomboy, I just don’t think you name a child based on a what if like that. What if she turns out to be very feminine? It’s something you wouldn’t know for quite some time either way. Regardless, while [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] is a flower name, I don’t perceive it that same way as I do [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Lilly[/name_f], even [name_f]Lila[/name_f]. It’s not used very much so I think people’s perception of the name would likely be whatever your daughter turns out to be. Spunky and fierce, sweet and shy, or a wonderful mix of those!

I also agree with others regarding [name_f]Grace[/name_f]. It seems very filler, but it does flow well.

Thanks all! That’s food for thought!
What do you think about [name_f]Raine[/name_f] or [name_u]Laine[/name_u] as a middle name?

[name_f]Darla[/name_f] [name_u]Laine[/name_u] and [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] [name_u]Laine[/name_u] don’t really work because of that double ‘L’ sound. [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] sounds a little better with it than [name_f]Darla[/name_f] though.

[name_f]Raine[/name_f] doesn’t seem to suit [name_f]Darla[/name_f] very well stylewise but I think it works with [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f].

I love the name [name_f]Darla[/name_f] actually! I have it on my own list :slight_smile: For middle names, I’m thinking of [name_f]Darla[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Darla[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f].