Dashiell vs. Asher

The title basically says it all. :slight_smile:

[name]Asher[/name] has been a huge favorite of mine for the past couple of months, and I love the nn [name]Ash[/name] for a boy… I am a bit concerned that people would get me and my son mixed up. [name]Even[/name] if I just introduce myself as [name]Ashley[/name] (which I generally do, anyway), I still get called [name]Ash[/name] often enough that I could foresee it being a problem. I thought [name]Dashiell[/name] might be a nice alternative, and I do absolutely adore it, but I’m not sure if [name]Dashiell[/name] fits with my other favorites quite as well as [name]Asher[/name] does ([name]Caleb[/name], [name]Jack[/name], [name]Everett[/name], [name]Grayson[/name] nn [name]Gray[/name], [name]Brody[/name], [name]Spencer[/name], [name]Bailey[/name], [name]Beckett[/name] nn [name]Beck[/name], [name]Lincoln[/name], [name]Henry[/name], [name]Boone[/name], [name]Avery[/name], etc.), and I’m not sure I love [name]Dashiell[/name] (and [name]Dash[/name]) quite as much as I love [name]Asher[/name] (and [name]Ash[/name]). I do realize I could use [name]Ash[/name] for [name]Dashiell[/name] but I’m not completely convinced on it. And they’re obviously too similar to be used for brothers.

I’m just looking for opinions on the two names, and which one you think fits better with my list. As it is, [name]Asher[/name] is definitely on my top 5, along with [name]Caleb[/name], [name]Jack[/name], [name]Everett[/name], and [name]Grayson[/name], but I’m not sure [name]Dashiell[/name] would be. I’m still trying to decide how I feel about it…

Thanks, ladies!

I don’t think you really love [name]Dashiell[/name] enough! It is a lovely name but feels more trendy than your other names. I think [name]Asher[/name] is a much better fit and you obviously love it more. I think if you started calling your son [name]Ash[/name] than most people would stop calling you [name]Ash[/name]. I know a TON of juniors and they have the exact same name as their father not just they same NN and it is never a big problem. I think in the end the NN will fade for one of you. Everyone will either gravitate towards calling him [name]Ash[/name] and you [name]Ashley[/name], which I think is most likely, or the NN will just never catch on for him and he will be [name]Asher[/name] and you will be [name]Ash[/name]. I think the only real NN option for [name]Dashiell[/name] is [name]Dash[/name] and [name]Dash[/name] and [name]Ash[/name] is pretty much just as confusing, if not more. With [name]Ashley[/name] and [name]Asher[/name] it seems like you are kind of naming him after yourself, (in a non-narcissistic way), but [name]Dashiell[/name] and [name]Ashley[/name] just seem similar in the same way that [name]Dashiell[/name] and [name]Asher[/name] do, to close to use but no real connection.

I prefer [name]Asher[/name] myself, even though he was a minor son of [name]Jacob[/name] I love the meaning. My cousin [name]Dashiell[/name]'s name was pronounced Dah-SHEEL, not dash-ull, so I’m prejudiced against the name when people pronounce it incorrectly. Also, he went by [name]Sam[/name] anyway, because that was his first name…

Have you thought of Adiel or [name]Adriel[/name], two other names getting some popularity in [name]Israel[/name] right now? Also, I love [name]Avner[/name] nn [name]Avi[/name].

[name]Dashiell[/name] doesn’t appeal to me personally. The first time I ever heard the name was on The Incredibles, so I will forever associate it with the cartoon character. It’s a cool association for a little boy, though. I know [name]Dashiell[/name] is a legitimate name but it just feels made up to me. I think [name]Asher[/name] fits better with your other favorites and has Biblical ties to make it feel more classic.

I have the same problem you’re having with mother-son name similarity. My name is [name]Emily[/name] and I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Emmett[/name] for a boy. I just can’t bring myself to put it on my list because I don’t want people to think I named my son after myself. [name]Ashley[/name] and [name]Asher[/name] are even more similar than [name]Emily[/name] and [name]Emmett[/name]. I wouldn’t do it, but if you’re okay with it more power to you.

I seriously love [name]Asher[/name]! [name]Dashiell[/name] nn [name]Dash[/name] is more of a guilty pleasure kind of love, if that makes sense. (For me, and maybe you too?) I prefer [name]Asher[/name] with you other favorites as well.

Hmm, maybe! I never thought about it that way. For the longest time I thought [name]Asher[/name] and [name]Ashton[/name] were unusable to me because of my name, but after getting opinions about the whole [name]Ashley[/name] vs. [name]Asher[/name] thing I figured it could work. [name]Dashiell[/name] has been growing on me a lot lately and I think it was just one of those things where I knew I couldn’t have both and I wanted to make sure I had made the right choice with [name]Asher[/name]. :slight_smile: It’s absolutely impossible for me to pair it up, but I can’t help but grin when I see [name]Asher[/name]. I like [name]Dashiell[/name] a lot, and [name]Dash[/name] is well… just so dashing, but I think @dillonsfan01 is right–my heart does lie with [name]Asher[/name].

Besides, you can’t get much better than [name]Asher[/name]'s meaning. :slight_smile:

Hmm, no, I haven’t, yet, anyway! I’m not sure either of them appeal to me, to be honest, but I sort of like the idea of [name]Avi[/name]. I love looking at Hebrew names, though–my best friend was a practicing Jew before she passed away last [name]December[/name], and I feel like my faith (Christianity) wouldn’t exist had it not been for the Jewish faith. And I just love a lot of their names! haha. I absolutely love [name]Ayelet[/name] and [name]Noam[/name], although I’m not sure I would use them. And Ya’akov (is that how it’s traditionally spelled in Hebrew? I’ve seen other variations, like [name]Yakov[/name] and such, so I wasn’t sure…). If you have any other Hebrew gems, I’m more than open to hearing them. :slight_smile: I’m still looking for a second MN for [name]Asher[/name] and I like that most Hebrew/Biblical names have good associations and stories with them.