Dated or due for a comeback

I’ve got two boys already named Li@m and R@fferty and I’m trying to keep the Irish theme going with any future children. I’ve been thinking a lot about Caitriona lately but I’m wondering if it comes across a bit dated and dull? I’m thinking it could be kinda cute to see it on a kid but I don’t want people to think it’s a bit of boring choice either.

Also, in terms of nicknames, I find it slightly difficult. My best friend is Katie and my dad has a dog named Kitty, so I think Cat might be the only viable option for me (don’t love Trinny or Trina). My mum is K@y, so I do like that there’s an honour path to her there as well.

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated :blush:

ETA: I’m in Australia if that makes a difference to anyone.

1 Like

I’m not sure I’d find [name_f]Caitriona[/name_f] dated… I think most people think of the hurricane in [name_m]New[/name_m] Orleans more than anything else (unless you’re not in the U.S… not familiar with its use in the UK or Australia, etc.). Maybe [name_m]Kit[/name_m] or [name_f]Kitty[/name_f]? I’m a big [name_m]Kit[/name_m] fan! I think you could get [name_f]Iona[/name_f] or [name_f]Ione[/name_f] as a stretch, too, or [name_f]Kina[/name_f]? (If it does feel dated for you, I think [name_f]Alastriona[/name_f] is a stunning alternative, I wish she got more love! But would never want to talk you out of [name_f]Caitriona[/name_f] if she’s the name of your heart… I think she feels interesting next to all the Katelyn’s and Kate’s of the past few generations. She’s not my favorite [name_f]Katharine[/name_f] variant but I do feel lots of nostalgia toward her because of a radio drama I listened to growing up… there is a very lovely [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] on the show.)

2 Likes

I don’t think [name_f]Caitriona[/name_f] is dated or dull at all. I would love to see it on a child today! I also love how it honors so many people in your life!
As for nicknames, [name_f]Cat[/name_f], Rin/Rina, Catri, or [name_f]Cate[/name_f] all work imo.

1 Like

In Australia this name is probably completely fine, assuming people know how to pronounce it.
[name_f]Cat[/name_f] would be a cute nickname.

1 Like

I havent met a [name_f]Catriona[/name_f] in so long that it would feel quite fresh!

[name_f]Cat[/name_f] is a cute nickname. Nn could be [name_f]Rina[/name_f], [name_f]Kiki[/name_f], [name_f]Cece[/name_f], [name_f]Tia[/name_f] maybe

The [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] spelling does feel a little out of cycle but the [name_f]Caitriona[/name_f] spelling hits me differently. It carries a message about culture or heritage and I find it quite charming. I certainly wouldn’t call it dull. I would be surprised to hear it on a little one but pleasantly pleased. The family connection is lovely.

[name_f]Cat[/name_f] would be the most straightforward nickname. I like it. Brainstorming other ideas. I’m thinking of nicknames for in the home with some of these.

[name_f]Coco[/name_f]
[name_f]Cece[/name_f]
[name_f]Carrie[/name_f]
[name_f]Katya[/name_f]
[name_f]Ina[/name_f]
[name_f]Nina[/name_f]
[name_f]Katinka[/name_f]
[name_f]Tinka[/name_f]
[name_m]Kip[/name_m]
[name_f]Trixie[/name_f]
[name_f]Trix[/name_f]

I’m not from Australia so I can’t talk about how it’d be perceived there, but to me [name_f]Catriona[/name_f] doesn’t feel dated! It feels familiar, because of how familiar [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] & [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f] (and all their spelling variations) are, but I’ve never met or known of a [name_f]Catriona[/name_f] and I’d be pleasantly surprised to meet one! [name_f]Cat[/name_f] is a really cute nickname, and I also really like [name_f]Rin[/name_f], Rinnie or [name_f]Rina[/name_f]!

1 Like

@kachenka [name_f]Trixie[/name_f] is so cute!

1 Like

I remember when Catriona/Katrina was very popular in the 60’s/70/s. The names were about 50/50 in popularity in SE Queensland going by the birth notices in the local papers (the old equivalent of the internet) I remember I liked [name_f]Catriona[/name_f] better because it seemed to have more class and was very different, I still prefer it today As [name_f]Catriona[/name_f].

1 Like

I’d say it’s a bit old school, but not dated. I went to uni with a [name_f]Caitriona[/name_f] and it didn’t seem odd to me to know a young person with that name.

1 Like

From an [name_f]Irish[/name_f] perspective, I’d say it’s a bit dated to the 1970s/80s, but not to the extent that I can’t picture it on a child. [name_f]Caitríona[/name_f] Balfe wears the name well.

1 Like

[name_f]Caitriona[/name_f] is a magnificent name! I think it is a timeless choice. [name_f]Beautiful[/name_f] and elegant. I adore that it could honor important loved ones in your life.
[name_f]Cat[/name_f] is a cute nickname. You may also like Ri/Ree, [name_f]Caty[/name_f], Catia, [name_f]Rin[/name_f] and [name_f]Rina[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_f]Lovely[/name_f] name and I like the spelling. I have a goddaughter who is a [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] and goes by [name_f]Cat[/name_f]. I’ve always thought it very cool as I love cats, and they are so sleek.

1 Like

Catriona and Katrina are two very different names. Not sure why so many are comparing them as if they’re different spellings of the same name.

Personally I think Catriona is very pretty. Cat works as a nickname.

Other nickname ideas:

Carrie
Atri
Ona
Rio
Cai
Tria
Tia

From an [name_f]Irish[/name_f] perspective, they kind of are two spellings of the same name, because they have the same pronunciation.

1 Like

I see. I don’t know if Australia is the same. But in [name_f]America[/name_f], [name_f]Catriona[/name_f] has 4 syllables as [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] only has 3. Very different pronunciations

@Mamajaybird Caitriona and Katrina are pronounced the same way for me. I’m going for the Irish/Scottish pronunciation. I’m obviously not from Ireland but from my reading I believe that is correct?

In America it’s pronounced cat-tree-oh-na vs Ka-tree-na. With Catriona having a more romantic vibe. But it seems like they do often have the same pronunciation. I had no idea.

I’ve loved the name for many years. Years and years before the hurricane. I’d love to see it on a child. [name_m]Long[/name_m] names are almost impossible to view as dull.

I agree with @ashthedreamer and like Kit as an option.

Have you considered Catalina? It is close to the name you like, but feels easier to say and understand.