Daycare vs. Nannies Vs. Stay at home Mom

Thankfully we women are quite varried and have so much to offer the world both at home and beyond. There are so many right ways to be a woman and a mom. I would like to see less perpetuation of the notion that “a woman’s duty is in the home…” Some women find that being at home full time to raise children fulfills their purpose in life and others have callings in science, business, medicine, teaching, politics… and they are often also mothers who love their children and prioritize the best care for them possible while fulfilling their purposes in life.

Somtimes working outside the home is a financial necessity, sometimes it is not so much a necessity financially, but important to the very nature of who the woman is - a scientist for example cannot just take a few years off and expect to jump back into the same career, it is very unlikely to happen… The children of women with exciting professional careers also benefit from the example of a successful mom who has power and influence in the world - but also loves them more than anything, is there when they awake, makes them dinner, plays with them, reads them stories, tucks them in at night and treasures every moment with her little ones. I think especially for daughters a professional mother sends a clear message that she can aspire to be what ever she wants to be and does not have to choose career over being a mom someday. Is there a sacrifice? - Sure there is. Can there be balance that is beneficial to all? - I like to think so. I think the happiest are those that find a way to do everything they want in their careers part-time and are at home with their kids part time. That does not work for everyone though.

Like I said in the beginning, there are so many right ways to be. I agree with Candiw that we should support and celebrate one another and not judge. I think the judgment often comes from jealousy and insecurity anyway and who needs that?

I get the best of both worlds, I suppose. My husband and I are not comfortable with anyone else having our daughter during the day, so he works days and I work nights. It’s tiring, but it works for us!