Deciding on a sibset style

Hey berries,

My husband and I are now TTC (!!! nervous and excited!), and we’ve been thinking about a unifying sibset style. We want to have 3-4 kids, and I know kids will grow up and become their own people, but it’d be nice to have the names be somewhat similar in style. I know we have a while to decide, but I like thinking about names in the meantime!

I have posted on here multiple times looking for strong, badass, goddess/warrior, celestial type girl names (space goddess vibes!), which I still LOVE, but I also wonder if that might be a lot for a little girl to live up to and may not be suitable for all personality types. And it may be hard to make an entire sibling group with that same type of theme. However, it’s hard to let go of that image and vibe! Examples of these names are [name_f]Juno[/name_f], [name_f]Astrid[/name_f], [name_u]Artemis[/name_u], [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], [name_f]Stella[/name_f], [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f].

But… my most recent love is [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], and my husband actually agrees and loves it too. It’s rare for us to both like, let alone be really excited, about a name! [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is much gentler and more classically feminine than the aforementioned names, with more of a quiet strength. I worry that if we go with [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], that means saying goodbye to the style I love. But going with the style I love and foregoing what seems to be the holy grail of names (versatile, feminine, tons of nickname options but gorgeous on its own as well, well known but not very common or popular, plus I truly love it and it makes my heart happy) might be something I regret! I have a ton of ideas for sister names that go well with [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] that I also love, if that helps – [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] or [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] (nicknamed [name_f]Pippa[/name_f]), [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], [name_f]Felicity[/name_f], [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], [name_f]Victoria[/name_f]. The names sound beautiful together and make for an awesome sibset, but the style seems more classic/typical feminine and not as powerful or unique as the names in the previous paragraph. But does that matter?

So, really, the root of my question is how do you decide on a naming style? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you choose a name you love and then find sibling names that fit, or do you decide the style and then choose names that fit within that style?

For me, I would pick a name I love and go from there. Maybe by the time you have another baby, your style will change and you’ll want a completely different name.

Let’s say you decide to go with your theme and name your daughter something else, and then you get all boys! Maybe you’ll regret not using [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] since it’s your favorite.

I love [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] and [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] together!

3 Likes

I personally love almost every name you’ve listed! And aside from the more out there choices of [name_f]Juno[/name_f] and [name_u]Artemis[/name_u], I think any from your first list of badass names would work well with [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]. While I agree siblings should have a similar sound and feel, I don’t think [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] clashes with [name_f]Stella[/name_f], [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] or [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] at all. I think they work quite well! [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] and [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] aren’t quite as good of a match, but I don’t think they clash by any means. You should do what works best for you and go with the name you love, but don’t be afraid to pair [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] with some of your other gorgeous choices!

Best of luck!

1 Like

I like both styles of names and I actually think [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] belongs in the second category as it goes better with [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] and [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] etc. I also think most of the names from either of your lists would be okay together with the exception of [name_u]Artemis[/name_u]. Personally, my style of girl names is vintage, some are old lady and some are more spunky. But my girl’s name style doesn’t match my boy name style. For boy’s names, I like very random and feminine/softer sounding names like [name_u]Sascha[/name_u] and [name_m]Solomon[/name_m]. I also love uncommon Hebrew and Israeli names for boys like Netanel and [name_m]Ben[/name_m]-[name_u]Ami[/name_u]. I don’t really care that they won’t go together well with each other or with their sisters because I love the names individually. I’d rather use a name I love than one that I don’t love but matches his sisters better, I can’t explain it! :joy:

Perhaps you can mix and match the names eg have space goddess group 1 as first name and feminine classical group 2 as mn or vice versa.

For myself, I’m like [name_u]Abi[/name_u] @Babies123456 so I don’t intend on putting a style on my kids names. I rather go with the names and combos I love then restricting my name options. I also rather show the diversity of my names than have them all similar :woman_shrugging: but I’m probably the anomaly for that so don’t mind with what I do but I still think my first paragraph is a good idea

1 Like

Something that I’d like to suggest that you keep in mind is if you go for a sib set style, then you mind find yourself not liking some of your children’s names as much if that makes sense? For example if you were to decide on a style after only liking one name then you aren’t focused on finding names that you like as much you’re focused on finding names that fit the other kids name. Maybe I’m wrong but I would suggest focusing on if you like the name more than focusing on the style.

I’ll rain on the name-nerd parade here: In real life, don’t stress about it. Take it one child at a time.

It’s fun and a hobby to imagine, but in reality, who knows how many kids you’ll have, and which genders they will be? Maybe you’ll wind up with an honor name at that point that is more important to you than any of the above? Or perhaps something other of significance that you’ll want to hint to in the child’s name? Take it as it comes.

Figure out name for child 1 when it’s coming, then imagine all you want, but when it actually happens, you have to go with your gut and what you love - no need to stress about the technicalities now. Have fun if you want, but don’t stress.

2 Likes

I don’t think sibsets have to fot perfectly. [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is a strong name to me and could totally sit beside [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] or [name_f]Stella[/name_f] easily.

Honestly I think naming is hard enough as it is without restricting yourself by only going with names that fit a particular style. I would use the name you love and start from there. Also I think [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] (gorgeous by the way) definitely works with [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], [name_f]Stella[/name_f], [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] & [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] they all share that vintage flair therefore you wouldn’t have to loose out and not use the names you love. I know siblings called [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] & [name_f]India[/name_f] I think those two names are beautiful but have a completely different vibe I don’t see why you couldn’t use [name_f]Juno[/name_f] just like they went with the equally as spunky choice of [name_f]India[/name_f]. The only name which would stand out would be [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] I don’t think she works with [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]. But could make a quirky middle name for [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]!

1 Like

Thanks all, this is very helpful!! I appreciate your input. I just like thinking about it, not stressing at all :slight_smile:

I think that [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] and [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] actually go really well with [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]! And [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] might be more stereotypically feminine but it means “[name_f]Victory[/name_f]” which I think is a strong meaning and [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] while more feminine is still a strong mythological character.
I think you can blend your styles!

I honestly don’t think any of your names clash with [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]! They’re not all perfectly matched, but it’s honestly not jarring and certainly not enough reason to give any of them up.

2 Likes

For me I would chose a name then select future names that fit with the first borns name, otherwise you could go a bit crazy coming up with a multitude of names and procrastinating between them all. For the record I think [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is stunning and I love all your other names too. [name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] :heart_eyes:
I thought of [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] which have the same vibe. And I’d be inclined to use godly/mythological type middle names

1 Like

Oh and [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] :heart_eyes:

I’m happy to hear that you guys think these names go together!!! [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] is probably my other favourite name, and it was sad to think of giving up [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] if I go with [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], but maybe they could go together after all, especially if I use one as middle :slight_smile: [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] or [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] would be a neat name I think! Thanks for the suggestion @anon25197097!

1 Like

Beautiful. [name_u]Unique[/name_u]. :100: go for that.

I agree [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] goes with a lot of your other names. I would just pick your favorite and see how it develops from there. I’m liking:

Genevieve, [name_f]Astrid[/name_f], [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], and [name_m]Ivan[/name_m]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f], [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], and [name_u]Milo[/name_u]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], [name_f]Astrid[/name_f], [name_f]Pippa[/name_f], and [name_m]Soren[/name_m]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], and [name_u]August[/name_u]

2 Likes

Oh my gosh I ABSOLUTELY LOVE these, my heart just melted!!! Amazing suggestions!!! I feel like I can really see any of those being the names of my future kids which is so exciting. I especially like [name_u]Milo[/name_u] and [name_m]Soren[/name_m] from your boy name suggestions! I haven’t spent as much time thinking about boy names as girl names but those get me excited too. Thank you so much!!

2 Likes