Declan? Beckett? Finn? Isla? Gemma? Aaaargh....

Hello Everyone… I’m pregnant with my second child and in a naming tizzy… nothing feels right! My three-year-old daughter is [name]Lily[/name] [name]Kate[/name] [name]Lorraine[/name] ([name]Kate[/name] and [name]Lorraine[/name] after family). I chose [name]Lily[/name] simply because I loved it and had NO idea of its popularity (and I chose it before I knew sites like this existed to help with naming). That being said, I love her name and don’t regret it at all, mostly because she’s such a, well, [name]Lily[/name]. But now when it comes to naming our second I can’t exactly get too creative because the sibset would be mismatched (and husband will nix anything too different anyway). So here’s my list (we don’t know gender). Our last name is Blamire. Oh, and husband is British (we’re in [name]Canada[/name]) and would love a British name (his first choice for a girl is [name]Jemima[/name]… I just can’t do it even though I like it). I would love your thoughts:

Girl (middle names will likely be ________ [name]Rose[/name] [name]Vivien[/name] - family names):

• [name]Isla[/name] - This leads the pack for me. It has meaning for me because I grew up on an Island and am very connected to that community. However, I worry naming her [name]Isla[/name] will be the 2010 equivalent of [name]Tanya[/name] or [name]Jessica[/name] or [name]Amy[/name] in the 70s… I don’t really mind its ascending popularity but worry it’s not a classic name ([name]Lily[/name], while a popular name, is still classic to me and not dated as there are [name]Lily[/name]'s of every age and the name has been around for a long time).
  • [name]Gemma[/name]
  • [name]Iris[/name] - [name]Iris[/name] and [name]Lily[/name]? Too floral?
  • [name]Magnolia[/name] - [name]LOVE[/name] this but my husband thinks its too out there although I think [name]Lily[/name] and [name]Maggie[/name] sound beautiful
    together
  • [name]Pearl[/name] - too old lady?
  • [name]Rosie[/name] - too British? I know a slew of Rosies in [name]Britain[/name], none here
  • [name]Cora[/name]
  • [name]Scarlett[/name] - worry about the nickname “Scar”… ick… don’t like [name]Carly[/name] or [name]Lettie[/name] either… any other possibilities?

Boys (middle names will likely be _______ [name]James[/name] Fry)

• [name]Declan[/name] - We both like this but don’t like Dec as a nickname. Discovered the awesome idea (thanks nameberry!) of nicknaming him [name]Dex[/name] but husband thinks this is a stretch.
  • [name]Beckett[/name] - like it a lot but have the same worry as [name]Isla[/name]… that it will be dated
  • [name]Finley[/name] - really like it but it is, of course, very popular… also worry it’s going to the girls a little
  • [name]Atticus[/name] - great, great name but sadly no good nicknames
  • [name]Magnus[/name]
  • [name]Hugo[/name]
  • [name]Rowan[/name]

I would welcome ANY other ideas too!

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated.

I love your names. If I had to choose one I would choose [name]Isla[/name]. I know it is on a lot of lists now but I don’t think it will get as big as people think and I think it goes well with [name]Lily[/name]. I would take out [name]Rosie[/name] if you MN is rose. [name]Declan[/name] is a fav of mine but if your worried about the nn then my next choice would be [name]Rowan[/name]. I think it makes [name]Lily[/name] sound more classic than if you went with [name]Beckett[/name] which would make it more trendy. [name]Hope[/name] that helps a little. I know it’s tough.

The first name that came to mind when i saw you were interested in an English name was the name [name]Georgia[/name]. I personally think [name]Lily[/name] and [name]Georgia[/name] sound amazing together, especially with the sweet nickname [name]Georgie[/name]! The middle names [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Vivien[/name] go well with [name]Georgia[/name], however to make a better flow i would use [name]Georgia[/name] [name]Vivien[/name] [name]Rose[/name] instead of [name]Georgia[/name] [name]Rose[/name] [name]Vivien[/name]. Syllables 2 - 3 - 1 sounds better to me then 2 - 1 - 3. Out of the girls names on your list i really love [name]Isla[/name], and wouldn’t fear about it’s “popularity” as i don’t believe many babies are being named this as much as the love of the name is being expressed on message boards!

As for boys, how do you feel about the name [name]Cooper[/name]. [name]Lily[/name] and [name]Cooper[/name] sound fantastic together and [name]Cooper[/name] [name]James[/name] Fry sounds so regal and handsome! Out of the names on your list i feel either [name]Declan[/name] or [name]Beckett[/name] go best with [name]Lily[/name], and i must say how much i love the nn [name]Dex[/name] for [name]Declan[/name] and don’t think it is a stretch at all! I also love the name [name]Atticus[/name], but the lack of nicknames also turn me off of it. You could call him [name]Atti[/name] but it doesn’t sound super masculine. Have you thought about using the name [name]Holden[/name]? It was the same feeling as [name]Atticus[/name] with the litterary connection, seems like a very proper English name and has some cute nn potentials ie. [name]Denny[/name], Hol, Hold, [name]Holli[/name] etc. [name]Holden[/name] [name]James[/name] Fry is also super amazing!!!

hope this helps!

I think [name]Lily[/name] is really pretty, and I hate that it got so popular. I agree that it’s more classic than trendy, though, so I think you should choose something that matches it for her sister. I love [name]Rose[/name] [name]Vivien[/name] for middle names!

[name]Isla[/name]: I like [name]Isla[/name], but it’s very trendy. I know of a few (including my cousin) born in the last few years, and I think it’ll rise in popularity. [name]Lily[/name] and [name]Isla[/name] sound nice together though, and since it does have personal meaning, maybe you can overlook its trendiness. [name]Isla[/name] [name]Rose[/name] [name]Vivien[/name] is gorgeous!

[name]Gemma[/name]: I definitely think [name]Gemma[/name] is more trendy than classic. I’m not a personal fan (for that reason, plus I think it sounds incomplete) but it’s nice with [name]Lily[/name]. I think you have better on your list.

[name]Iris[/name]: I love [name]Iris[/name], but it’s way too matchy with [name]Lily[/name] (not to mention with [name]Rose[/name] [name]Vivien[/name]).

[name]Magnolia[/name]: I think this is too matchy, too. It also doesn’t completely sound like a name the way other flower names do. [name]Maggie[/name] is very cute-- what about [name]Margaret[/name]? [name]Margo[/name], [name]Marguerite[/name], or [name]Magdalena[/name] would work, too.

[name]Pearl[/name]: I don’t think it’s too old lady. It’s not a favorite of mine, but it’s a nice name. Not the best flow with [name]Rose[/name] [name]Vivien[/name]…

[name]Rosie[/name]: As a full name? It’s way too nicknamey. [name]Rose[/name] is lovely, but too matchy with [name]Lily[/name].

[name]Cora[/name]: I really like this with [name]Lily[/name]! I think it’s my favorite on your list. It’s definitely not trendy.

[name]Scarlett[/name]: This is the trendiest on your list, I think. I don’t like it at all, and like you said, no good nicknames.

My favorites are [name]Cora[/name], [name]Isla[/name], and [name]Pearl[/name].

What about:

[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Madeleine[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Sylvie[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Bridget[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Juniper[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Ianthe[/name]

[name]Declan[/name]: I really like [name]Declan[/name]! This is my favorite on your list. It’s wonderful with [name]Lily[/name]. I can’t see how [name]Dex[/name] is a stretch at all-- it seems pretty intuitive to me…

[name]Beckett[/name]: I really dislike this. It’s a surname, so there is a big chance it’ll become dated. It also reminds me of buckets…

[name]Finley[/name]: I like [name]Finley[/name] (I love [name]Finn[/name]) but, unfortunately, I think it’s going to the girls. :frowning: What about just plain [name]Finn[/name], [name]Finnian[/name], [name]Griffin[/name], or [name]Phineas[/name]?

[name]Atticus[/name]: I find this a tad pretentious… maybe that’s just me. I don’t really care for it.

[name]Magnus[/name]: I think it’s a little ‘out there’. I’m not a huge fan.

[name]Hugo[/name]: I’m not sure how usable it is in the US, but I do like it. Actually, I can see potential teasing-- ‘huge-o’… maybe I’m overthinking it. The first thing I thought of was [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name], where [name]Lily[/name] and [name]Hugo[/name] are future cousins, but that’s probably just me being a [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] nerd. :slight_smile:

[name]Rowan[/name]: I like [name]Rowan[/name]; this is my second favorite on your list.

[name]Lachlan[/name]
[name]August[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name]

Okay as soon as I read your list I fell in love with [name]Rowan[/name] [name]James[/name] Fry… little [name]Rowe[/name] and [name]Lilly[/name]? too cute!

[name]Isla[/name] is awesome and while popular most people love the name but don’t necessarily use the name! Go for it!