Delaney?

What does everyone think of [name_u]Delaney[/name_u] as a little girls name! What are some potential nicknames? :slight_smile:

I’ve checked my provinces baby name #, and in 2015 it was listed as 5 babies being born with the name and in 2014, there was 7.

Our last name is long and starts with an R, ends in an ‘ee’ sound.

[name_u]Delaney[/name_u] is a family name, my grandmothers maiden name. I’d love to use it, but fear backlash from inlaws for not honouring their side as well, then.

Some inlaw names, if anyone has any suggestions for similar? :frowning: Ranked from top to bottom…

[name_f]Dawn[/name_f]
[name_f]Lillian[/name_f]: [name_f]Lily[/name_f]?
[name_f]Diane[/name_f]: [name_f]Deeanna[/name_f]? Too mumch of a stretch maybe.
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_f]Gertrude[/name_f]
[name_f]Lola[/name_f]: We like [name_f]Lula[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f] too…?

With the ‘l’ in [name_u]Delaney[/name_u] be too close for [name_f]Lola[/name_f], for example? And a [name_u]Delaney[/name_u] [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] too matchy?

'Thanks all! :slight_smile:

I love [name_u]Delaney[/name_u]! [name_u]Delaney[/name_u] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] is lovely and more modern to my ears than [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] but either are nice. Also [name_u]Delaney[/name_u] [name_f]Lula[/name_f] would be a nice choice.

[name_m]Will[/name_m] your daughter be taking your in-laws last name? To me, that’s enough honor! But if you think there needs to be more honor, I don’t see a problem with [name_u]Delaney[/name_u] [name_f]Dawn[/name_f]. [name_u]Delaney[/name_u] [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] sounds nice as well. If you feel there are too many d’s or L’s going on, maybe add a second middle name to break it up.
[name_u]Delaney[/name_u] [name_f]Quinn[/name_f] [name_f]Lula[/name_f] or Delaney Grace Lillian for example.

Won’t age well

I love [name_u]Delaney[/name_u], and I think @whitegardenia’s suggestion of [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] as a middle is perfection!

[name_u]Delaney[/name_u] holds a very special place in my heart! I used to know a precious little girl with this name who saved my life when she was just three, and almost three years ago (it will be three years on [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] [name_u]Day[/name_u]), she lost her battle to a rare form of leukemia. She was my favorite little person ever, and I miss her with all of my heart. I’ve got a pretty strong no-unisex-names policy for my girls’ list (I have a unisex name and hate it), but I’ve thought of making an exception for my beloved [name_u]Delaney[/name_u]! I adore the combo [name_u]Delaney[/name_u] [name_f]Iris[/name_f], as well. :slight_smile:

The little [name_u]Delaney[/name_u] I knew went by [name_u]Laney[/name_u], which is adorable, but I think a [name_u]Delaney[/name_u] could get [name_f]Annie[/name_f], too. If I ever used it, I’d use the nn [name_f]Della[/name_f], which I’m a massive fan of.

I think, from your options, [name_u]Delaney[/name_u] [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] is my favorite ([name_u]Delaney[/name_u] [name_f]Lily[/name_f] is just too rhymey), but [name_u]Delaney[/name_u] [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] is precious, too! [name_u]Delaney[/name_u] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]/[name_u]Delaney[/name_u] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] is also cute. Or [name_u]Delaney[/name_u] [name_f]Lola[/name_f]! I adore [name_f]Lola[/name_f], and [name_u]Delaney[/name_u] [name_f]Lola[/name_f] is too cute for words. I’d vote for [name_u]Delaney[/name_u] [name_f]Lillian[/name_f], [name_u]Delaney[/name_u] [name_f]Lola[/name_f], or [name_u]Delaney[/name_u] [name_f]Dawn[/name_f]! They’re all delightful.

Good luck!