Delia Dalia and Dahlia

[name_f]Delia[/name_f], [name_f]Dalia[/name_f], and [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] although spelt and pronounced so similar are each their own name. Which do you like best and why?

[name_f]Delia[/name_f]- Greek. Pronounced dee-lee-a. Meaning from Delios the island in Greek mythology where the twin god and goddess [name_m]Apollo[/name_m] and [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] were born.

[name_f]Dalia[/name_f]- Swahili. Ponounced dah-lee-a. Meaning gental/ tender. Also the name of the [name_f]Goddess[/name_f] of weaving and fate in Lithuanian mythology.

[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]- [name_f]Flower[/name_f] name. Pronounced day-lee-a or dah-lee-a.

Does [name_f]Delia[/name_f] feel too nicknamey?
Does [name_f]Dalia[/name_f] look incomplete?
Is [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] still too tied to the black [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] murder?
Any other thoughts and opinions?

[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] is my favourite. It’s such a sweet, flower name. [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] is not too popular but sounds familiar. It works well with: [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] [name_f]Serafina[/name_f], [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] or [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] [name_f]Eleonore[/name_f].

I like [name_f]Delia[/name_f] the most out of all of these names. [name_f]Dalia[/name_f] sounds like dale-e-ah to me and [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] sounds clunky. I also love [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] but that’s not on your list.

I prefer [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f], but only because [name_f]Delia[/name_f] feels outdated to me ([name_f]Delia[/name_f] [name_m]Smith[/name_m], if anyone knows her, and whom I cannot stand!) and [name_f]Dalia[/name_f] looks incomplete. I do, however, think of the black [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] murder, but only because it thoroughly interested me and so I hold a lot of knowledge about it… I doubt many people will think of it, though, and it wouldn’t put me off it if I loved the name a lot.

I like all three.

[name_f]Delia[/name_f] does not feel too nicknamey to me. Like [name_f]Celia[/name_f], it is short and elegant. We named our unborn daughter [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] but in my heart I call her [name_f]Coral[/name_f] or [name_f]Delia[/name_f] much of the time. I think of it as being a nickname for [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] of a different origin than Delios perhaps, but it works alone too.

[name_f]Dalia[/name_f] does look incomplete to me, though it is not a bad name. I just prefer [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] (and love the plant dahlia).

I don’t think we live in a literate enough society for people to remember much, including the [name_m]Black[/name_m] [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] murder, especially when it’s a common and lovely flowering plant as well.

[name_f]Delia[/name_f] sounds spunky to me and [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] sounds more dramatic and exotic, especially since I pronounce it dahl-ya.

[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] is gorgeous!

I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Delia[/name_f], gorgeous! I think [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] is equally as gorgeous. Both really romantic and sweet names. NAF of [name_f]Dalia[/name_f].

I also love [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]- that would have fit in well with this post too, can’t believe I forgot it!

I love [name_f]Delia[/name_f]- it’s so sweetly spunky and classic. [name_f]Delia[/name_f] feels elegant, and not at all nicknamey, in my opinion. [name_f]Dalia[/name_f] looks a bit incomplete and a bit like a smoosh between [name_f]Talia[/name_f] and [name_f]Danielle[/name_f], to be honest- I much prefer [name_f]Delia[/name_f], which personally sounds a lot friendlier to me. I don’t think that [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] is too tied to the [name_m]Black[/name_m] [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] murders, but I still much prefer [name_f]Delia[/name_f]- [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] looks a bit off to me, for some reason.

I am glad to hear so far that the black [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] connection is not as much of a problem as I thought it was.

I think my favorite is [name_f]Delia[/name_f], very torn as to using as a given name or nickname for [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f].

[name_f]Dalia[/name_f] I think I want to like it more than I actually do. Especially now that [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] is growing on me, [name_f]Dalia[/name_f] just looks like it is missing an H.

I agree [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] feels very dramatic and exotic whereas [name_f]Delia[/name_f] feels spunky and fresh. I love both names/ styles/ images.

Anymore thoughts on [name_f]Delia[/name_f] vs [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]?
Thoughts on [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]?
Opinions on any of the names?

To me, [name_f]Delia[/name_f] feels friendly and wearable, whereas the others seem more sexy and have a bit more “try” about them.

I love all three and [name_f]Delilah[/name_f], too! I think they can all stand alone. My favorite to least favorite are listed below:

1. [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] (any of the other three could be nns for [name_f]Delilah[/name_f])
  2. [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]
  3. [name_f]Delia[/name_f]
  4. [name_f]Dalia[/name_f]

Why can’t you stand [name_f]Delia[/name_f] [name_m]Smith[/name_m]?

Edit: [name_m]Just[/name_m] realized how old this thread is.