Devereux/ Devereaux

I’ve really been crushing on [name_f]Devereux[/name_f] recently and was wondering what other people thought about it. I pronounce it kind of like deveroaks, cool or bad?

I kind of like it… but not pronounced the way you do. The deveroaks pronunciation doesn’t really work for me, and sounds quite croaky. [name_m]Said[/name_m] the way I would say it (deveroe or devereuh), I think makes for a terribly dashing middle name!

8 Likes

My first impulse would be to pronounce it [name_m]Dev[/name_m]-er-O

3 Likes

It’s strongly associated to [name_f]Blanche[/name_f] [name_m]Deveraux[/name_m] for me, so I’m not sure it’s useable.

How I would pronounce the names:
[name_f]Devereux[/name_f]: dev-er-oo/dev-roo
[name_m]Devereaux[/name_m]: dev-er-oh/dev-ro

The names themselves are fine, but the dever-oaks pronunciation is very weird to me.

2 Likes

I prefer the dever-o pronunciation. It’s very dashing!

I like, but only pronounced as [name_m]Dev[/name_m]-er-oh.

I love it pronounced the more typical way. Pronouncing the X is sort of an odd choice in my opinion but I don’t think sounds bad persay, just like a mispronounced name. But if you love that pronunciation go for it!

1 Like

Personally, it doesn’t seem right to use a name from a specific culture and language ([name_u]French[/name_u], in this case) and purposely mispronounce it.

But I love the name [name_m]Devereaux[/name_m] for a boy. It’s bold and uncommon and I like the nature meaning.

5 Likes

Oh, I haven’t ever really heard that pronunciation.
I dont really like the deveroaks pronunciation, it seems a bit weird. I am a fan of [name_f]Devereux[/name_f] pronounced the traditional way though, it reminds me of ‘Despereaux’ (the little mouse from the movie!) and I think its very handsome.

I agree with @SarahMadelyn

I’ve also recently discovered this and I quite like it! I prefer [name_m]Devereaux[/name_m], though. Like most people I’d say dev-er-oh.
There is also the spelling [name_m]Deveraux[/name_m]!

I love this name! I much prefer the spelling [name_m]Deveraux[/name_m] though.
Also I’m sorry but the way your pronouncing it would set your son up for a lifetime of correcting people. The correct pronunciation is “[name_m]Dev[/name_m]-ro” or alternatively “[name_m]Dev[/name_m]-er-oh” but you would not pronounce the x.
I would say if you were looking for the way you are pronouncing it to just spell it as Deveroaks.

1 Like

The two spellings aren’t pronounced the same as the other, or how you’re looking to pronounce the name.

• [name_f]Devereux[/name_f] [dev-uh-ruh]
  • Devereau / [name_m]Devereaux[/name_m] [dev-uh-ro]

Agree 100% with @Elle1.

Suggest instead Denver Oaks. Or Dever Oaks.

@futuremama that wouldnt be correct. -eux is “uh” not “ooh”

Deveraux with o sound.

I’ve always loved [name_m]Devereaux[/name_m], but I would never pronounce the x.

It’s a [name_u]French[/name_u] name, so I feel like it would be better pronounced the french way as:

DE VER ROH