DH loves Jack! Jack Finnegan? PLEASE HELP!

My husband and 4 yo daughter love the name [name]Jack[/name] for the new baby, due in [name]December[/name]. I do like it for all the reasons DH states (strong, solid, cute for baby and good for a grown man, positive associations with everyone we know, goes well with last name, etc. etc.) but I am hesitating because it is sooooooo common, it’s #1 in the UK and pretty close here. So I thought about jazzing it up a little with a nice middle name that could be used with it. I have come up with [name]Jack[/name] [name]Finnegan[/name] and I can see myself calling him [name]Jack[/name] [name]Finn[/name] (also good combo for when I’m mad “[name]Jack[/name] [name]Finnegan[/name] [name]Carter[/name], you get over here!” WWYD if the name was too popular for your taste but your DH loved it and you really had no objections to the name itself? AND what is your opinion of [name]Jack[/name] [name]Finnegan[/name]? Please give me your opinion!!

Also, if it helps, DD’s name is [name]Quinn[/name] [name]Madeleine[/name], so [name]Quinn[/name] and [name]Jack[/name]…

bump. Anyone? Opinion?

Well, first of all [name]Jack[/name] IS a great name, for most of the reasons you mentioned. Because is is so great, it is also insanely popular. And not pseudo-popular either, we have at least 4-5 [name]Jack[/name]/Jacksons on my daughter’s bday party list. [name]Jack[/name] [name]Carter[/name] is not perfect for me because of the way it runs together in the middle. Sounds like [name]Jack[/name] Arter. There are so many boys’ names with a similar feel to a [name]Jack[/name] that aren’t quite so popular-[name]Sam[/name], [name]Luke[/name], [name]Nick[/name],[name]Tom[/name]… But if you do decide to go with [name]Jack[/name], [name]Jack[/name] [name]Finnegan[/name] is a great name!

I love this! [name]Jack[/name] [name]Finnegan[/name] is an awesome name! It also matches the feeling of [name]Quinn[/name] Madelein. [name]Jack[/name] is popular but in a good way, it isn’t an [name]Aidan[/name] name so it isn’t annoying.
I think it is a handsome, strong yet recognizable name! Go for it!
BTW [name]Jack[/name] [name]Finnegan[/name] [name]Carter[/name] sounds awesome!

Thanks for the opinions!! I cringe at the idea of him being “[name]Jack[/name] C” because there are three or four in his class. DH’s name is common and he keeps insisting he didn’t care at all, maybe boys care less about these things?? Anyway, I do like [name]Jack[/name] [name]Finnegan[/name], everyone’ll have single syllable names but me…we’ll see if I find something we both agree on that is less popular.

I think boys definitely care less about it, and the popularity of boys’ names doesn’t bother me as much, either.

I love [name]Jack[/name] [name]Finnegan[/name], and [name]Jack[/name] [name]Finnegan[/name] [name]Carter[/name] flows perfectly! [name]Jack[/name] and [name]Quinn[/name] are very nice together.

I love the name [name]Jack[/name], I would do [name]Jackson[/name] though so you could call him [name]Jack[/name] or Jacks. [name]Finnegan[/name] is ok, but it reminds me of the nausea med fenegran (not sure if I spelled that correctly). BUT… I think [name]Jack[/name] [name]Finn[/name] is adorable, if that is what you would call him. Good luck with whatever you decide. You have to be happy with the name.
We named our first son [name]Tristan[/name] [name]Blaine[/name]. He goes by [name]Blaine[/name]. Neither of those names were on our list of names, but it fit him.

[name]Jack[/name] is a great name. It is super popular but classic, not a dated trendy name. [name]Jack[/name] [name]Finnegan[/name] sounds nice together. Like you I am very aware of popularity of names and [name]Fin[/name] either short for [name]Finnegan[/name] or [name]Finley[/name] is as popular or more so than [name]Jack[/name] in my area. I know it is super hard to agree on a name and if you really like [name]Jack[/name] and your only objection is the popularity I think you should go for it. Maybe you can choose a more uncommon middle name to satisfy that part of you. There is prob be at least one other [name]Jack[/name] in his class so prepare yourself. I think its true men care way less about having a common name. My DH’s name is [name]Erik[/name] and at one point he had 2 work colleagues, a lawyer, a real estate agent and 3 friends with that name. DH says he does not mind having a common name and would much rather give a son a common name he liked than an uncommon one we chose just to be different.

I can see both sides of the argument. It’s a great name but it is pretty popular and, although it’s really a classic, I would even say it’s a little trendy right now. If it were up to me I would push for something less popular but I have a serious aversion to popular names. I love the suggestions of [name]George[/name] or [name]Thomas[/name]. [name]How[/name] about [name]Jett[/name] or Jediah nn [name]Jed[/name]?

Thanks, Berries! Food for thought! So it’s a likeable name but crazy popular. I have been thinking of middle names to satisfy my desire for a less popular name, but I don’t think I realized how popular [name]Finnegan[/name] is, so I thought I WAS being more out-there with that choice. DH doesn’t like [name]Jackson[/name] and my 4 year old has already started calling the baby [name]Jack[/name] (this morning hugged my belly and cooed “[name]Jackie[/name]!!” :slight_smile: ) so my dreams of [name]Atticus[/name], [name]Tiernan[/name], [name]Rhys[/name], [name]Stellan[/name] or [name]Sullivan[/name] (some of the names I like, anyone like any of these?) are slipping away. I [name]DO[/name] like the name and find it cute and classic, I just feel ugh! about it being everywhere (and in every nursery rhyme, BTW!) Thanks again!!

It is definitely very popular, but I still also really like the name [name]Jack[/name]! I love [name]Jack[/name] [name]Finnegan[/name]. [name]Adore[/name] it. I also love the name [name]Stellan[/name], but my boyfriend said no way- although I have no idea why! I think this name is fantastic! I like [name]Jack[/name] [name]Finnegan[/name] a lot :slight_smile:

I love [name]Jack[/name] [name]Sullivan[/name]! It’s a bit more grown-up than [name]Jack[/name] [name]Finnegan[/name], [name]IMO[/name]. (And I agree with your husband about [name]Jackson[/name]. [name]Jack[/name] is better on its own unless you have a [name]Jackson[/name] to honor.)

I love Jack Sullivan! It’s a bit more grown-up than Jack Finnegan, IMO.

I know what you mean, [name]Jack[/name] [name]Finnegan[/name] sounds like some Irish folk song character, lol!! But somehow that’s the appeal, it’s kinda rougue-ish. Which trust me, he will be! :smiley: I wanted [name]Sullivan[/name] but I think the nn [name]Jack[/name] [name]Finn[/name] is nice. Being on these boards has given me more alternatives to run by DH and I really appreciate your thoughtful comments. I agree that a common name is better than an outlandish one just to be different. I just don’t want to regret not being more daring, this could be my only boy.