DH's suggestion...

so we’re TTC and debating names. DH and i don’t tend to have the same naming style. we have a 2 yr old, beckett reed. his suggestion today (for a GIRL)…quincy jane (jane is a family name, with the nn quin). i’m really not a fan of boy names on girls (as i know a lot of name nerds here aren’t either!) but i have to say, i really like this name! we want something spunky yet not too common. a favorite of ours is lucy, but that’s just way too popular for us. i think quincy might be an good compromise…but what do you think? is it too masculine for a girl?

I don’t think [name]Quincy[/name] is too masculine for a girl. I prefer [name]Quincy[/name] over [name]Quinn[/name] for a girl (love the name [name]Quinn[/name] for a boy, though :wink: )

[name]Quincy[/name] [name]Jane[/name] is adorable! Great alternative to [name]Lucy[/name], which I have been hearing so much of lately, too.

I really have a hard time picturing [name]Quincy[/name] on a girl, [name]Quinn[/name] yes but [name]Quincy[/name] is not unisex in the slightest to me. My first association is [name]John[/name] [name]Quincy[/name] [name]Adams[/name] my second is [name]Quincy[/name] [name]Jones[/name], neither of which are very feminine to me. [name]Quincy[/name] has never ranked in the top 1000 as a girls name but [name]Quinn[/name] ranks #485. What about using [name]Quinn[/name] as the fn with [name]Quincy[/name] as a nn? I do understand the feeling you are looking for. [name]Quincy[/name] is upbeat and spunky, but more so for a boy in my mind. I could def. see [name]Beckett[/name] and [name]Quincy[/name] as brothers!

well, my DH has this thing about girl names…they have to end in the E sound. like, maisie, lucy, ruby, lily etc. i need a spunky name that “goes” with beckett. so this just seems the best of both worlds for us! :wink:

i honestly don’t think quincy is any more masculine than addison, madison, harper, emery, avery and those names have taken off as girl names. i think its just a sign of the changing times and a more modern mindset.

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Quincy[/name] [name]Jane[/name]! It is so spunky, fun and sweet at the same time. A perfect fit for [name]Beckett[/name] [name]Reed[/name]! Good job hubby in coming up with that suggestion!

I personally feel [name]Quincy[/name] is purely feminine, and it would be really flimsy on a boy, but hey! I guess it’s only because the only [name]Quincy[/name] i know is a girl. It reminds me of the name [name]Darcy[/name], which yes, is typically a boys name, but i can only see it on a girl. I guess the “cy” ending is preferably feminine in my mind due to the classic [name]Lucy[/name].

[name]Hope[/name] this helps! [name]Quincy[/name] & [name]Beckett[/name] are meant to be.

[name]Quinn[/name] is great, and [name]Quincy[/name] is a nice name - I’d think [name]Quincy[/name] was a boy alongside [name]Beckett[/name], but I see your point about [name]Quincy[/name] potentially heading in the direction of [name]Addison[/name] in the like. Personally, I’d call her [name]Quincy[/name] [name]Jane[/name] just so it was clear what her gender was, though I do love [name]Quinn[/name] for a girl!

I know your husband has a thing for names ending in the “ee” sound, so [name]Mercy[/name] seemed like it might be a good fit for you! It’s got that quirky classic feel that [name]Beckett[/name] has, yet it is subtly feminine. [name]Mercy[/name] [name]Jane[/name] is adorable with [name]Beckett[/name] [name]Reed[/name], and you could even call her MJ, like in Spider [name]Man[/name]! [name]Just[/name] another thought…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Quinn[/name] is so cute for a girl and [name]Quincy[/name] makes it even more feminine. :slight_smile: I like it a alot. [name]Beckett[/name] and [name]Quincy[/name]. :slight_smile: Cute! You should totally do it!!

Imho I’m sorry but [name]Quincy[/name] is not a girl’s name in my mind, and [name]Quincy[/name] [name]Jane[/name] reaaally reminds me of [name]Quincy[/name] [name]Jones[/name]. If I heard [name]Quincy[/name] and [name]Beckett[/name] I would definitely think it was a boy.

Sorry, but [name]Quincy[/name] is completely masculine for me. I do not see it as a girl’s name at all. [name]Just[/name] because a name ends in a vowel sound does not make it feminine. I know three Quincys and they are some of the manliest men I know. If I heard you talking about your children [name]Beckett[/name] and [name]Quincy[/name] I would assume that both were boys with very handsome names.

I agree that [name]Quincy[/name] isn’t super masculine, but I would definitely think that [name]Quincy[/name] and [name]Beckett[/name] were two brothers. It would be adorable if you had another son and called him [name]Quincy[/name] though.

Not a big fan, but it can work!

What about [name]Marcie[/name]/[name]Marcy[/name] or [name]Mercy[/name]?

I think it works.

I think [name]Quincy[/name] [name]Jane[/name] is fantastic! It sounds great with your son’s name and I love unisex names for girls or boys - so I say go for it!

What matters most of all is that you and your DH love it and that it suits your daughter!

I also would be concerned about the tendency to assume [name]Beckett[/name] and [name]Quincy[/name] were brothers, although I agree that [name]Quincy[/name] is not particularly masculine sounding, I do think of the president first.

Like [name]Lucy[/name], it has a similar ending to girls’ names like [name]Nancy[/name], which is what I think makes it sound kind of feminine. I suggest looking at [name]Kinsey[/name], which is a very similar name more often given to girls, or [name]Cecily[/name], which for some reason struck me as the same style. I know you said your husband wants it to end in an EE sound, but how about [name]Jacqueline[/name] too? I can see getting [name]Quinn[/name] out of that.

Alternately, maybe go for [name]Jane[/name] [name]Quincy[/name] instead. You can easily use her middle name in everyday life, lots of people do, but it makes it more clear on formal documents (like at school, etc.) that she is a girl.

I would leave [name]Quincy[/name] for the boys. [name]How[/name] about [name]Ellery[/name] [name]Jane[/name]?

My best friend named her first born [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Jane[/name] ([name]Lucy[/name] is now 2 years old), and I think it’s an adorable name!! I often call her [name]Lu[/name] or [name]Lulu[/name]. :slight_smile:
[name]Quincy[/name] to me = masculine…[name]Beckett[/name] is a masculine name & I would really strive to keep your baby girl’s name feminine to better balance out the sibset.
If you & your DH like the name [name]Lucy[/name], have you considered a similar-sounding name such as [name]Lesley[/name] or [name]Lindsay[/name]?
I have been liking the name [name]Posy[/name]/[name]Posey[/name] for a girl recently–to me it sounds peppy yet sweet at the same time. Also, it is not an overly popular name! I also like [name]Rory[/name], as it has an upbeat feel to it as well.
Honestly, I do love the name [name]Quinn[/name] for a girl. Maybe you could suggest calling her ‘Quinnley’ to your DH?? Or you could give her a hyphenated first name like [name]Quinn[/name]-[name]Leigh[/name]…
I think [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Quinn[/name] is an adorable option. [name]Lucy[/name] Q! So Q-ute. :wink:
Best,
L.

I love this name and also the suggestion of [name]Mercy[/name] [name]Jane[/name]. I was working a couple of weeks ago and saw a little girl with a nametag on that said [name]Quincy[/name]! I think its adorable :slight_smile: