Discourse: 100 Days In (plus 200 day and 365 day updates)

100 days in, I’m curious to hear others’ reactions to Discourse and the new system.

I, for one, am loving it. I find it much easier and more rewarding to stay engaged in the forums than before the switch. Obviously kinks are still being rolled out, but I’ve been having a lot of fun.

[name_m]How[/name_m] about you?

2 Likes

I like it- the forums are much easier to flick through on a phone

1 Like

I was very anxious about it when they first announced it, but other than the very first day, I’ve been loving it! I agree, this platform feels much more engaging. [name_f]My[/name_f] posts have gotten a lot more wordy on since the switch, that’s for sure :rofl:

2 Likes

I love them too! the mobile version is super easy to use which I also love, and I’m finding less glitches over all :slight_smile:

1 Like

Overall I much prefer the new system!

1 Like

At first, I was not thrilled and didn’t like it one bit but after being here for 100 days, I got used it. Now, I like it and it’s easy to navigate.

1 Like

There certainly are some issues to work through, but overall they don’t put much of a damper on the experience. I love it! I miss things like changing font colors and such, but features including likes and being able to tag people far outweigh those losses. It took me a bit to get used to but it’s far easier to use and I’m really enjoying it.

1 Like

It definitely has taken some getting used to, as it is jarringly different than the original look, but I do like it a lot! It was certainly a needed update, and I appreciate all of the new features.

1 Like

I love it! I was worried when the switch first happened, but I got used to it very quickly. I think the site seems even more open, inviting, and friendly now! I’ve definitely started engaging with posts a lot more (which was rare for me before!) I also like the tagging, notifications, likes, and post/comment previews!
I only miss small things, like the soft colors we used to have compared to the mostly white we have now, the ability to change font size, and being told when I’ve already commented in a thread. Those are very minor things though, and the positives definitely outweigh the losses! Overall, I am very happy with the switch!

3 Likes

As a mod, I’m very glad to see you guys are enjoying the new format as much as we are (new spam filters!). If you encounter any problems or have questions, please don’t hesitate to tell us! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I agree about the spam filters - the spam was real bad in the weeks leading up to the switchover.

2 Likes

I certainly don’t miss wasting my time on miles long moderation queues or blocking these Russian spam bots promoting hair growth activators or black magic tutorials… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

I like it! I love the ability to like posts, and that I get notifications when somebody replies to me/mentions me/likes something I posted. I do miss the fact that signatures were visible all the time (easier to notice when people make changes), but the forums are cleaner without them, admittedly, and user cards do the same thing. Overall, I’m happy with the new layout!

1 Like

I’ll admit I was skeptical as I don’t like change, so I avoided nameberry for awhile. Now that I’m back on, I’m liking it. I haven’t had glitches or some of the issues I had with the old format.

The one thing I dislike is that when you’re on mobile it takes forever to scroll down to the bottom if the thread has a lot of replies (ex: baby name games). Nanowrimo has the same kind of program and it has the same issue, I wish the software allowed for you to click a button to get to the bottom or came up with the bar on the side like it does on desktop.

3 Likes

Hm, I use mobile and I have bar on the side, I wonder why you don’t have it…

@auroracallista

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you not have a blue box with numbers in it that looks like this [17/19] (numbers are just examples) at the bottom right?

Sorry, I’d post a picture but it’s not letting me! :scream:

If you do see the blue box, tap it and it will open up a topic timeline like on desktop. You can jump straight to the end by clicking the latest post time at the bottom, or use the scroll bar to select a specific post.

I love it :blush: So streamlined and easy to use. Such an improvement!

2 Likes

I like everything about it, except for copying and pasting names in the [name_u]Baby[/name_u] Name Games forum. The names turn into blue links and there are links everywhere and it makes it a lot harder to play, so I just don’t play that type of game anymore, but I don’t know if anyone else has that issue or if it’s just me.

2 Likes

Agree with @regionlatbest and @jessicajanex17. [name_u]Love[/name_u] how the community has come together, but I do miss colors that were softer on my eyes.

1 Like

200 days in and I’m still loving it, but I’ve noticed a huge dropoff in the membership of people (many teenberries but not exclusively) saying they have found it hard to balance Nameberry with other priorities irl and therefore needing to take breaks (and many of them wanting to take breaks but not staying away). I wonder how much of this is a function of this system being much more social media heavy. It does feel very different now to me in that way…

Curious to hear others’ thoughts, too…

2 Likes