Do I have to stay classic?

[name]Hi[/name] everyone! I’m new to nameberry and am so excited to have found it! What a great resource. I am currently pregnant with my second child. My first is a boy who we named after his father, [name]Matthew[/name]. We call him [name]Matty[/name], [name]Matty[/name] J, and MJ (for [name]Matthew[/name] [name]Jr[/name].). I have to say I wasn’t thrilled with the idea of a junior. But, when my husband told me he had always dreamed of a junior it was hard to say no. Well, now that we are on to our second I’m worried about the need to stay in the same style. [name]Do[/name] we need to stay classic?
The doctor thinks we are having a girl, but is not 100% because he didn’t get a great look. Here are a few of the names we like:

Girls:
[name]Isla[/name] (this was my favorite until I saw how popular it is on here!)
[name]Quincy[/name] ([name]Quinn[/name])
[name]Amelie[/name]

Boys:
[name]Lincoln[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Myles[/name]
[name]Lennon[/name]

I know this is a short list, but before I really delve into it, I want to know if it’s okay to have say a ‘[name]Matty[/name] and [name]Isla[/name]’, or do I need to play it more safe?

I think it would only seem odd if you named your next child something very trendy and invented, like [name]Jayden[/name] or [name]Kayleigh[/name]. Also, because [name]Matthew[/name] is definitely a boys’ name, I would avoid ambiguous gender names, such as [name]Jordan[/name] and [name]Taylor[/name].

The names you are deciding between go perfectly with [name]Matthew[/name], in my opinion, especially the girls’.

I especially love [name]Isla[/name] of your list, although I also adore the quirkiness of [name]Quincy[/name]. For the boys, I would avoid another M name. Of [name]Lincoln[/name] and [name]Lennon[/name], I think [name]Lincoln[/name] goes the best with [name]Matthew[/name]. You may also like [name]Leonard[/name] (lenn-ard).

Good luck!

I think the names you are thinking of work fine with [name]Matthew[/name].

I don’t think you have to stay classic. I think [name]Isla[/name] sounds great with [name]Matthew[/name]. [name]Amelie[/name] is pretty but doesn’t sound right with it. [name]Quincy[/name] is a boy’s name so I wouldn’t use it for a girl. The boys names are all nice. I like [name]Milo[/name] and [name]Matthew[/name].

[name]Matthew[/name] is a very versatile name it’ll go well with many other names, some classic some not.

The only one from your list I don’t like with [name]Matthew[/name] is [name]Isla[/name]. Something about the dissimilarity of sounds strikes me as clashy, and they seem the most different in styles although the clashing sounds disturb me a lot more.

The doctor thinks we are having a girl, but is not 100% because he didn’t get a great look. Here are a few of the names we like:

Girls:
[name]Isla[/name] (this was my favorite until I saw how popular it is on here!) - I can see [name]Isla[/name] with [name]Matthew[/name].
[name]Quincy[/name] ([name]Quinn[/name]) - I don’t like it that much with [name]Matthew[/name].
[name]Amelie[/name] - [name]Love[/name] [name]Matthew[/name] and [name]Amelie[/name] together. Gorgeous!

Boys:
[name]Lincoln[/name] - love, it is a substantial name and for some reason, works with [name]Matthew[/name]. At least for me it does.
[name]Milo[/name] - too matchy with [name]Matthew[/name]
[name]Myles[/name] - I would spell it [name]Miles[/name], and it’s too matchy with [name]Matthew[/name].
[name]Lennon[/name] - not my style, don’t like it with [name]Matthew[/name].

Other ideas:
[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Franklin[/name] - similar to [name]Lincoln[/name].
[name]Owen[/name]
[name]Reed[/name]

I think that for the most part your choices here are classic, and work well with [name]Matthew[/name].

I love [name]Isla[/name] (popularity on this site doesn’t always equate with popularity in the real world, although [name]Isla[/name] is becoming more popular is real life too).
[name]Quincy[/name] - If I heard of a family with [name]Matthew[/name] and [name]Quincy[/name], I would think it was two boys. You might be ably to get away with [name]Quinn[/name] though which seems to be getting more unisex.
[name]Amelie[/name] - so pretty and definitely works with [name]Matthew[/name]

[name]Miles[/name] - I think it works but prefer spelling with ‘i’. You would have to decide if you like the two M’s.
[name]Milo[/name] - a little more modern in sound but actually is a classic name. Could also be used as a nickname for [name]Miles[/name]
[name]Lincoln[/name] - very handsome and I think this works with [name]Matthew[/name]
[name]Lennon[/name] - I don’t really like this one but it is my personal opinion, not because it doesn’t fit with big brother. It’s too Beatles to me.

Thank you so much for all your advice! I think I started to head down the wrong track and was thinking I would have to stick with an ‘80s’ name. I now see there are a lot of classic names out there that aren’t necessarily dated. My husband and I are still on the fence about everything and he actually doesn’t like any of the boys names I listed. The ONLY boy name we have agreed on is [name]Caelan[/name]. What do you think of [name]Matthew[/name] and [name]Caelan[/name]? Does [name]Caelan[/name] sound too much like the [name]Aiden[/name], [name]Brayden[/name], [name]Jaden[/name], [name]Cayden[/name] trend? That is the LAST thing I want. Thanks!

For me, [name]Caelan[/name] sounds to much like [name]Cayden[/name], etc.
[name]Matthew[/name] and…

[name]Anders[/name], a form of [name]Andrew[/name]
[name]Asher[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Clive[/name]
[name]Daniel[/name]
[name]Edward[/name]
[name]Ethan[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]James[/name]
[name]John[/name] nn [name]Jack[/name]
[name]Lachlan[/name]
[name]Lionel[/name] nn [name]Leo[/name]
[name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Nicholas[/name] nn [name]Cole[/name], [name]Nico[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Peter[/name] - love
[name]Philip[/name]
[name]Phineas[/name] nn [name]Finn[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name]
[name]Seth[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name] nn [name]Toby[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name] - love
[name]Victor[/name]
[name]Zander[/name]

“Does [name]Caelan[/name] sound too much like the [name]Aiden[/name], [name]Brayden[/name], [name]Jaden[/name], [name]Cayden[/name] trend? That is the LAST thing I want.”

That’s the first thing I thought of before I even read your sentence. Although many names go with [name]Matthew[/name], [name]Caelan[/name] is one that doesn’t seem to fit. It’s also such a trendy spelling… even if you pick a more “unique” name compared to [name]Matthew[/name], I’d keep a normal spelling.

[name]Amelie[/name] is gorgeous, and [name]Isla[/name] is a close second. [name]Both[/name] sound wonderful with [name]Matthew[/name]. Any new boys names come into the mix?

I agree with [name]Susan[/name] that [name]Caelen[/name] unfortunately sounds very trendy next to the classic, solid [name]Matthew[/name]. However, some of the names she listed are brilliant, in my opinion! I especially love :

[name]Matthew[/name] and [name]James[/name]
[name]Matthew[/name] and [name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Matthew[/name] and [name]Peter[/name]
[name]Matthew[/name] and [name]Nicholas[/name]
[name]Matthew[/name] and [name]Tobias[/name]
[name]Matthew[/name] and [name]Thomas[/name].

I was also reminded of :
[name]Alexander[/name] (or [name]Alexei[/name], a quirky alternative)
[name]Archer[/name] nn [name]Archie[/name]
[name]Cooper[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Harry[/name]
[name]Jackson[/name] nn [name]Jack[/name] (normally not a fan of surname names, but I adore the nn [name]Jack[/name])
[name]Jonathan[/name]
[name]Leonard[/name] ([name]LEN[/name]-ard).

Good luck!

Okay, I thought [name]Caelan[/name] was too trendy sounding, despite it not being on any lists. I’m having a really hard time with boys names and am wondering if it’s a sign we’re having a girl. :slight_smile:

Out of the boys names suggested, here are the ones I like:

[name]Theodore[/name]- I [name]LOVE[/name] this name, it has been a favorite of mine for quite some time. I love the nn [name]Theo[/name] and [name]Teddy[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name]- I also really like this name, however am not a fan of the nn [name]Ben[/name]. Since we call [name]Matthew[/name] [name]Matty[/name], I am afraid of having a [name]Benny[/name] as well
[name]Lachlan[/name]- this is a name I’ve never heard. I’m interested in seeing what my husband thinks. What nn?
Phinneaus

I should also let you wonderful helpers know our last name is [name]Ray[/name]. One would think this would be an easy name to create flow, but A LOT of names sound very country that otherwise wouldn’t. That’s why nn are so important to me. I don’t like one syllable names with our one syllable last name.

Thanks so much for all your opinions and help!

I adore [name]Theodore[/name]! It is one of my sons’ middle names (only nixed as a first name because we couldn’t have the nn [name]Teddy[/name], which I adore, for theming reasons). I also think [name]Phinnaeus[/name] is so handsome and unusual, and I knew a [name]Lachlan[/name] who simply went by his full (brilliant) name.

I think literally any girl’s name would go with [name]Matthew[/name]. As for [name]Caelan[/name], I agree it reminds me of the [name]Caden[/name] trend.