Do I need a second middle name?

Husband isn’t keen on a second middle name but I am unsure whether the name ‘needs’ a one syllable name to break it up as both our surname and her middle name are long (think ‘[name_m]Harrison[/name_m]’ or ‘[name_m]Williamson[/name_m]’- very similar to our surname). What has a better flow?

Iris [name_f]Arabella[/name_f] [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] (for arguments sake)

or a second middle name - for example, something like:
[name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Arabella[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_m]Harrison[/name_m]

other one syllable middle names I like are:
[name_u]Snow[/name_u]
[name_u]Dove[/name_u]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Faye[/name_f]

The question is, is it necessary or would I just be complicating the poor girls life by giving her a second middle name? (feel free to tell me which one syllable name you like best if you like that option because I like all of them haha!)

Second middle name?
  • Yes, needed
  • No, not necessary

0 voters

2 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s completely necessary, but it does flow a little better

Giving her two middle names won’t complicate her life at all, I have two middle names, and I would never describe it as being complicated, most people don’t know them. I personally love them.

1 Like

Doesn’t feel necessary to me…it kind of feels more cumbersome in the example you gave, though I do have a pretty big bias against double middles. They hardly ever sound right to me.

Iris [name_f]Arabella[/name_f] [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] sounds nice (although the R sounds are a little close for me, syllable wise it works)

1 Like

I have second middle names in my combos solely because I love too many names and want to use them all! If there is not another name you feel that you NEED to use, I think [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Arabella[/name_f] ([name_m]Harrison[/name_m]) sounds amazing!

2 Likes

Iris [name_f]Arabella[/name_f] [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] flows perfectly well! I don’t think a second mn is necessary. :slight_smile:

1 Like

complicating her life by giving her a second middle name is not a concern at all. I have two middle names. they have not once been complicating. however, it isn’t needed. the flow is fine, and although I’m usually quite sensitive to ‘imbalance’ in combos, this feels quite alright, and you’ll be fine. essentially, there are no real positives or negatives to either solution. part of why I like double middles is because I like to get as much name into one name as possible. if you have a combo you love, the only real reason for a second middle would be if you loved it and really wanted more name in your name, which it doesn’t sound like you do.

1 Like

I… actually prefer how [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Arabella[/name_f] “[name_m]Harrison[/name_m]” sounds over [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Arabella[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] “[name_m]Harrison[/name_m]” :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I actually think the flow is easier without the second middle, which just makes the whole name longer. “[name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Arabella[/name_f] [name_m]Harrison[/name_m]” is wonderful!

1 Like

Don’t worry, there is no r sound in our actual surname so that won’t be a problem :slight_smile: thank you x

1 Like

I’d probably just go with one middle as the name is already long and substantial

1 Like

Thanks everyone! Appreciate your thoughts. Seems that most of you agree that the second middle name is not needed :relaxed:

No. I honestly think it makes the name too heavy. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you. [name_f]Arabella[/name_f] wouldn’t have been my first choice as a middle name but I like [name_f]Iris[/name_f] way more than he does so I felt like he should choose her middle name being as he was willing to let me have it :speak_no_evil:

1 Like

The second middle adds sparkle and uniqueness to the name. It sounds beautiful! However, I don’t think the second middle is absolutely necessary. I don’t think you would be complicating your daughter’s life (I have two middles :wink:). [name_u]Dove[/name_u] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f] are my favorite middles for [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Arabella[/name_f].
Choose the name you love! :cupid:

1 Like

I’d stick with one middle. I actually prefer the sound of [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Arabella[/name_f] ‘[name_m]Harrison[/name_m]’ than iris [name_f]Arabella[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] (or [name_u]Snow[/name_u] etc.) ‘[name_m]Harrison[/name_m]’. In saying that, I don’t think you’re complicating her life by giving her two middles at all.

1 Like

Two middle names are a favorite of mine! I think they add a little more charm to a name. I know a few people with 2 middle names and one of the has a little bit of a long one and it doesn’t bother her. I like the flow of [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Arabella[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] a little bit more.

1 Like