Do royal names scream "low-class"?

Did I say that it was the only justification? Please do not attempt to read between the lines. I just thought it was relevant since we are one of few countries who don’t have a few laws set in place to protect children from unsuitable/inappropriate names. I’m not the only one with concerns. No need to be incendiary or spiteful. I’m not advocating anything, just musing.

I wonder how many people realize that low class names are nothing more than a sad, stereotypical generalization of an underprivileged group? It’s a little elitist to brand something as simple as a name as low class, generalizing ALL people with such names as being from the lower, blue collar working class (where the term low class comes from), just for bearing the name, when you stop to think about it.

I agree with this.

But, honestly, I’m a bit of a hypocrite - I’d say using [name_f]Queen[/name_f]/[name_f]Princess[/name_f] would be tacky (not necessarily low-class), but my cousins’ middle names are [name_m]Prince[/name_m] and [name_f]Princess[/name_f] respectively and it suits them well (more so [name_m]Prince[/name_m]). I think using [name_f]Queen[/name_f] or [name_f]Princess[/name_f] is overdoing it, especially if it’s in the first spot; [name_m]King[/name_m] or [name_m]Prince[/name_m], I feel, less so.

Why should any one entity have the authority to determine what names are unsuitable or inappropriate for children? These are incredibly subjective terms. Despite the classist musings exhibited on this thread, there are in fact well-adjusted and successful adults with names like [name_m]King[/name_m] and [name_f]Princess[/name_f]. I’ve lived my entire life among the much-despised “lower class” of Americans. I’m very familiar with the type of parents most likely to bestow these names. This idea that names branded as “low class” should be outlawed or discouraged because they’re “unsuitable” is honestly so offensive. There are plenty of “real” names, some of them quite popular on this website, that I personally feel are unsuitable for children, but I certainly don’t think they should be outlawed. Whether or not their child’s name would be selected by a royal is simply not a concern for most parents. It’s very disheartening to return to this forum and be reminded of how judgemental and out of touch with “real world” naming some berries seem to be. Yeesh.

Though wouldn’t that be a bit like naming a daughter Reina? I’ve never watched GoT (or read it) but I’d think the GoT connection as the only association is a bigger deal than meaning of the name. The books are not all written yet and you never know how a character turns out…

Oh and I agree that maybe non-strict naming laws ruling out real titles wouldn’t be such a bad idea!

I don’t think so. I can agree that some may seem “tacky” and “over the top” but I wouldn’t say “low-class”. Personally, some like [name_m]King[/name_m] and [name_m]Prince[/name_m] are not my style. I do like [name_m]Noble[/name_m] (Nobleman seems like a bit much…is it a family name or something?). In the end, even if no one else likes it or supports her decision, it is at least a middle name…

They are not “real titles” in the US. There is no sound basis for outlawing them. A personal dislike of a name is not grounds to outlaw it. Additionally, many of these titles are also surnames. Should we outlaw the use of these names as surnames also?

It’s very disheartening to see the shameless classism being exhibited on this thread.

I think you have a strong point here. I wonder if the fact that the US doesn’t have royal titles or titleholders is what makes title names feel a bit out of reach or, to me, upper-class, to use as a regular person’s name? [name_m]Just[/name_m] mulling this around a bit in my mind.

Anyhow, sorry, OP, I don’t mean to get away from your questions on the name Nobleman.

I am just going to go ahead and end this one before the discussion continues to get less than friendly. In the future let’s try to avoid threads discussing “low class/trashy/etc etc” names as a topic, it leads to passionate emotions.
The original poster has already created a separate thread for the name Nobleman, so please feel free to voice your thoughts on the name/combination over there. (While keeping class out of it)