Do royal names scream "low-class"?

There are a handful of royal names that I like ([name_m]Kingston[/name_m], [name_u]Kingsley[/name_u], [name_m]Duke[/name_m]), and a lot of others I’m not fond of ([name_f]Queen[/name_f], [name_f]Princess[/name_f], [name_f]Empress[/name_f], [name_u]Reign[/name_u], [name_u]Royal[/name_u], etc.)

I kind of feel that only parents who are trying to be something they’re not would name a kid something like this. Like…there is no way in hell that a real member of nobility would name their kid [name_u]Royal[/name_u] or even [name_m]Kingston[/name_m]. It just wouldn’t happen.

So to me, it kind of seems embarrassing when parents pick these names for their kids, and it seems to immediately stamp them with a “low class” label, which is probably the opposite of what they’re going for.

What do you guys think? It doesn’t matter much to me personally anymore, but my sister is thinking of giving her son the middle name Nobleman, and she wants my advice.

It frankly reads as tacky and VERY tryhard. I strongly suggest against the idea. Perhaps a name instead relating to royalty or that have a definition relating to nobility? [name_m]Kendrick[/name_m], [name_m]Dario[/name_m], [name_u]Royce[/name_u], [name_m]Ansel[/name_m], [name_m]Errol[/name_m], [name_u]Lennox[/name_u], etc?

Most of them come across as quite low class and trying way to hard

I don’t mind [name_m]Noble[/name_m] and [name_m]Valor[/name_m] as middle names it I see them as virtue names

I do think so yes. Especially brand names or car names.
I often think of the [name_m]Kanye[/name_m] [name_u]West[/name_u] lyric from years ago “Couldn’t afford a car so she named her daughter [name_f]Alexus[/name_f]”

Any name that tries to unnecessarily elevate status can feel that way, and I certainly wouldn’t have wanted to grow up as “[name_f]Princess[/name_f]”

Why are [name_f]Diamond[/name_f] and [name_f]Jewel[/name_f] “low class” when [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] and [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] are perfectly acceptable names?

I know your question wasn’t directed at me, but for me, [name_f]Diamond[/name_f]’s is the name of one of the local strip joints… so there’s that…
Over all though, I am not sure where the gemstone line gets drawn and why, because you are right, [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], and [name_f]Opal[/name_f] feel much more wholesome than [name_f]Diamond[/name_f], [name_f]Sapphire[/name_f] and [name_f]Jewel[/name_f] for examples.

I think it boils to history of use. [name_f]Diamond[/name_f] especially is a relatively new word name that lacks namesakes. Both [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] & [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] have been used as names since the 1800s.

Lol i say no, but then again, my list is chock full of so-called low-class, downmarket, tacky, etc. names! :stuck_out_tongue:

So have [name_f]Jewel[/name_f], [name_u]Royal[/name_u], [name_m]King[/name_m], [name_f]Queen[/name_f], and many others in this category.

Anything that is an actual term ([name_f]Queen[/name_f], [name_m]Prince[/name_m], [name_m]Duke[/name_m], etc.) does come off as rather tacky to me. Names like [name_u]Kingsley[/name_u] or [name_m]Kingston[/name_m] are fine, they remind me of surnames rather that royal terms.

Honestly I love Han (Kaan/[name_m]Hakan[/name_m]), Tigin, and Hatun as names. There are also Bey, [name_u]Bay[/name_u], and Begüm - etc that are usable as baby names, so while I don’t fancy Western words I quiet like Turkic ones because I am biased.

I agree…

I’ve never felt that they are specifically low class; some names might just be names they like ([name_m]Kingston[/name_m]/[name_u]Kingsley[/name_u]). Some names have a definite connotation around them ([name_f]Diamond[/name_f]) and some I agree are just tacky ([name_f]Princess[/name_f], [name_u]Lexus[/name_u], [name_f]Porsche[/name_f] etc) :slight_smile:

Only a few in my opinion. I see nothing wrong with [name_u]Kingsley[/name_u], [name_m]Duke[/name_m], [name_m]Kingston[/name_m], [name_u]Reign[/name_u] or [name_u]Royal[/name_u] (not a personal favourite but not horrible). I think [name_f]Queen[/name_f] & [name_f]Princess[/name_f] just overdue it. I actually grew up with a young boy named [name_m]King[/name_m]. Sweet kid and no one seemed to bat an eye at his name. As far as your sister, I think Nobleman is a cool middle name.

I’m a little torn about royal names as well. I like [name_m]Kingston[/name_m] and, to a lesser extent, [name_u]Kingsley[/name_u]. I think [name_m]Duke[/name_m] is pretty cool because it’s unique but still familiar, and it reminds me of [name_m]Duke[/name_m] University, which has an absolutely beautiful campus.

[name_u]Royal[/name_u] and [name_u]Reign[/name_u] get on my nerves, though I can’t say exactly why. I think it’s because they just sound too hokey and because so many celebrities have chosen names like that lately.

I don’t like [name_f]Queen[/name_f] because for me, it’s too connected to [name_f]Queen[/name_f] [name_f]Latifah[/name_f]. [name_f]Queenie[/name_f] is a little bit better and sounds more like a name. There’s something kind of sweet and cute about [name_f]Princess[/name_f], but I also think that a little girl would be embarrassed to have that name as she grows older.

Nobleman is one I’ve never heard before, but I actually quite like it…I don’t know if I’d be brave enough to use it, but I don’t think it’s any weirder than the ones already mentioned.

I know a couple who are in their early 20’s that just named their baby [name_m]Duke[/name_m] last year. At first I thought it was strange, but now it fits the little guy perfectly!

Also, I have meet a person with the first name [name_m]Noble[/name_m]. Also strange but then you just get used to it.

And, I have a cousin named [name_u]Royal[/name_u].

Personally I wouldn’t choose a name like this for my child, but I do think once you get to know the person it just becomes normal after awhile.

There’s a gray area for me, and that’s when it comes to virtue names, like [name_m]Noble[/name_m], [name_f]Honor[/name_f], and [name_u]Royal[/name_u]. [name_f]Laura[/name_f] Ingalls’ brother-in-law was named [name_u]Royal[/name_u] [name_m]Wilder[/name_m] if I remember correctly. It’s got more of a Puritanical charm than anything. But [name_m]King[/name_m], [name_f]Queen[/name_f], [name_f]Princess[/name_f], [name_m]Lord[/name_m], etc.? It’s truly embarrassing and it’s basically screaming to the world what you and your child are not. If you were a queen, you wouldn’t be named [name_f]Queen[/name_f]. If your child was a princess, they wouldn’t be called [name_f]Princess[/name_f]. This is one area where I wish the US would establish some sort of naming laws.
The takeaway from all this? Titles are not names. We see people running into this problem even when drawing inspiration from fiction. For example, parents naming their daughters [name_f]Khaleesi[/name_f] (from Game of Thrones), not realizing it literally means “queen”. To me it’s just an indication that the parents didn’t really spend quality time thinking about their child’s name and the impact on their life.

The US does not need naming laws. You disliking a particular set of names is not a valid justification for outlawing them.

Living where I live I honestly couldn’t imagine naming your child a royal name as they are reserved for royalty such as Queen Elizabeth, Duke of Cambridge etc (we do have laws stating that your can’t give your child title name such as Queen, King, Princess, Duke, etc). To me I don’t really see it as low class by really more tacky. But that’s really just me.

Certain names ([name_f]Princess[/name_f], [name_f]Queen[/name_f], Royalty, [name_f]Porsche[/name_f]) seem really tacky to me but I will admit that I’m kind of a hypocrite as I think [name_m]Duke[/name_m] is cute (would only use it for a dog though) & my best friend’s favorite boy’s name is [name_u]Bentley[/name_u] which I think is cute too. It would really depend on the first name but Nobleman would be a fine middle name though it’s not my taste.