Do you consider Caleb a biblical name?

It means “devotion to God”, which given that I’m not religious I’m torn whether it’s worth considering. I don’t want a “biblical name”. Though, it looks like it could also mean “dog” and “whole heart”.

What’s your first thoughts on the name [name_m]Caleb[/name_m]? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you consider it biblical?

1 Like

I would consider it Biblical, but I wouldn’t necessarily assume a [name_m]Caleb[/name_m] born today would be named after the Biblical figure. It’s a fairly mainstream name. As far as I can tell, the meaning is uncertain.

7 Likes

Yes, as it’s a figure in the Bible. It’s also a very common name in [name_u]North[/name_u] [name_u]America[/name_u] though, so I think you could get away with it if you really wanted to.

Here’s more info if you’d like to know more to make a decision: Caleb | Canaan, Hebron, Biblical References, & Facts | Britannica

1 Like

I do consider [name_m]Caleb[/name_m] Biblical, but I can’t even remember who the bearer(s) of the names were. I also only knew about the meaning “dog” until now.
To me it wouldn’t seem too strange for you to use it, especially given how it’s not too obscure.

1 Like

I don’t think most people nowadays would even recognize [name_m]Caleb[/name_m] as a biblical figure— there are many Calebs who are not religious/who do not come from religious families. At this point, [name_m]Caleb[/name_m] is popular enough to not be associated with the bible.

2 Likes

I do know [name_m]Caleb[/name_m] is biblical but it’s so well in use that it doesn’t feel overtly biblical

1 Like

I consider it Biblical in that it has a religious meaning and it is in the Bible, but I don’t consider it overtly religious. It’s very mainstream and I wouldn’t assume [name_m]Caleb[/name_m]’s parents are religious.

2 Likes

Yes, completely would consider it. [name_m]Just[/name_m] as I would [name_u]Noah[/name_u], [name_m]Matthew[/name_m], [name_m]Luke[/name_m]… I list these to say they are clearly biblical but also mainstreamed.

1 Like

I recognize that it is biblical, but I don’t think it’s as obviously biblical as some names can be. That being said, I never assume that someone with a biblical name is religious. I don’t know why anyone would assume that, honestly. [name_m]Just[/name_m] because someone in the Bible is named something doesn’t mean that name can only exclusively be biblical or religious.

5 Likes

I’m not religious either but I absolutely see this as a biblical name. But I echo what @ChelsAnne22 has said. Given the fact that both my boys have names from the Bible. I just liked the names.

1 Like

I don’t think most people would think of [name_m]Caleb[/name_m] as biblical because it is so mainstream and it’s not from a popular biblical story/ a name of a book of a Bible.

1 Like

Yes, a biblical name is one that’s in the bible like [name_m]Caleb[/name_m]. But many names that appear in the bible are widely used by people who are not at all religious so I don’t associate them with religious people.

1 Like

Yes, biblical name. No, I wouldn’t assume he’s religious.

1 Like

I consider it Biblical, but it’s definitely widely-used enough (at least in my area) that I wouldn’t particularly expect the family to be religious!

1 Like

Yes, I consider [name_m]Caleb[/name_m] a biblical name, but it’s also not a name I would consider or assume had any religious basis for it being chosen, just like [name_m]Jacob[/name_m] is a popular biblical name but so mainstream and well used it’s not heavily associated as strongly biblical. [name_m]Caleb[/name_m] is not as in your face biblical like [name_m]Jedidiah[/name_m], where I would probably assume the parents chose it for religious reasons.
I think [name_m]Caleb[/name_m] is a great name.

1 Like

I ever thought it was a biblical name until I looked it up. As long as no one sees it as “overtly biblical” I’m okay with that.

Nope

Yes I believe Caleb or Calev was a figure in the Torah. The Hebrew word Kelev means dog but it uses different vowels than Caleb/Calev.

It’s a name like Ezra or Daniel where yes I know it’s a biblical name but it’s also become extremely common so I wouldn’t assume that they are religious.

It’s so common that I don’t really mind where it origins anymore.

1 Like

maybe it came from the biblical figure, but it’s pretty popular and I don’t think it would be associated with the Bible.

1 Like