Do you have a name popularity limit?

[name]Do[/name] you have a hard rule in terms of the rank popularity of a name that makes it too common to use? For example, if it is above 500, or has been above 300 in the last 50 years, etc?

No I think if you really like a name just go with it. Popularity shouldn’t really matter.

My limit is the Top 100. That said, I fear trendiness more than popularity. I’d rather name my kid [name]Emma[/name] instead of, say, [name]Madison[/name], even though they’re comparable in popularity. Trendiness is what I worry about with a few of my favorites, particularly [name]Eloise[/name]. She’s gone from off the charts to in the 400s in only a few years. I really don’t want to give my daughter a name thinking it’s unique only to have it turn out to be the next [name]Jayden[/name].

This is a really good point. I have an irrational fear of the rank of the names I choose. We are trying to find a name for our second, gender unknown, and I had [name]Renata[/name] in my mind for a while. I was surprised when I saw it is at 757 last year and was as high as 337 in 1980. Maybe I need to remind myself that even a 337 doesn’t add up to that many babies with that name.

Definitely not. I don’t see the point in limiting my options.

I think I draw the line at top 10. Except for [name]William[/name]. That’s a family name on both sides and I would totally use it even if half the boys in [name]America[/name] were named [name]William[/name] or [name]Liam[/name]. That said, I prefer them to be under 50.

Not really, if I loved a name I would use it even if it was in the top 10. I think I might use [name]Lachlan[/name] even though he’s #7.

These replies are making me feel better. I had some weird compulsion to only short-list names that have never been in the top 1000. I just would hate to be the person who named their kid [name]Aiden[/name] before that boom, or that type of thing you know?

I wouldn’t give my kid a name that is in the top 10, or has been in the past 20(ish) years but that’s were I draw the line. I also wouldn’t use a name that’s rising quickly, as that’s quite often a sign that it’s becoming tredny. I think it’s a tad excessive to avoid a name simply because it was in the top 1000 and I certainly wouldn’t worry about a name in the 700’s as being popular.

:slight_smile: Definitely a [name]TAD[/name] excessive. I’m going to modify this weird self-imposed rule! I think you’re on the money with focusing on how fast it is rising.

I think it depends. There are names like [name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]Alexander[/name] that are popular because they’re classics, and then there are names like [name]Mckenzie[/name] and [name]Aiden[/name] that are trendy.

My hard limit is no top 50 names for first names (which means no [name]Henry[/name] or [name]Alice[/name] for us :frowning: ), but I would be extremely hesitant to use one in the top 100 and think of any name in the top 250 as too popular (though if I loved it, I might use it despite this). I also track trendiness though, and think of names that are rising quickly as just as worrisome as names in the top 250.

Mine is top 10. I don’t like many names that are overly popular. (enough to use them - anyway.) I was 1 in 10 [name]Katie[/name]/Kates in my class and I hated it so I dont want that for my child, but I like names that aren’t too weird and would stand out massively in a class of 30 children.

I have no limits in terms of ranking but I do draw the line at trendy names. I love the name [name]Ava[/name] but consider it to be trendy so I’ll never use it.

For me, I tend to pick popular or sometimes ‘classics’ as a middle name and an unusual pick for the first. But my limit is in the top 100 or 200.
Though, there are some exceptions on my list to the names that I really like/love:
Girls: [name]Autumn[/name] at #69.
Boys: [name]Isaiah[/name] at #43, [name]Sebastian[/name] at #68, and [name]Josiah[/name] at #78, I think.

FINALLY! I don’t really care about popularity or trendiness. If I like a name, I’d use it.