Do you know an Emmeline?

See the results of this poll: How does YOUR Emmeline pronounce HER name?

Respondents: 13 (This poll is closed)

• "EH-meh-lynn": 0 (0%)
  • "EH-meh-lean": 3 (23%)
  • "EH-meh-line": 10 (77%)

I wont vote because I don’t know anyone with this name. I naturally say “EH-meh-line”. I don’t know if that’s right .

I have a family member named [name]Emmeline[/name] and she pronounces it Eh-mah-lean. (Though I prefer the Eh-meh-line pro. it sounds much sweeter). Oh and she doesn’t use a nickname now, though when she was younger I believe they called her [name]Emme[/name]/[name]Em[/name]

I say EH-meh-lean and very much prefer that pronunciation. But I think EH-meh-line is more common. On [name]Army[/name] Wives there is a girl named [name]Emmeline[/name] pronounced EH-meh-lynn, but that should be spelt [name]Emelyn[/name] in my opinion.

I know an [name]Emeline[/name], which I’m guessing still counts for your purposes (I hope so because I voted above!).

She says her name “EH-meh-line,” though it’s often mispronounced by others as “EH-meh-lean.”

Also, she goes by [name]Emmy[/name] most of the time.

Thanks so much for the replies, everyone!

I was curious because I pronounce the name with an “EH-meh-line” pronunciation, but I noticed that apparently the traditional pronunciation is “EH-meh-lean.” Though I think that is nice, I don’t think I can switch over at this point, so its good to hear all of your thoughts. It seems that most of you use the same pronunciation I do, so I feel a bit better about using it…

Oh, and for whoever mentioned the [name]Army[/name] Wives character, I was tempted enough to go look that show up online, and it seems - according to the TV show website - that her character spells her name [name]Emmalin[/name]. Thus, the “EH-meh-lynn” pronunciation is acceptable.

Thanks!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I have never met one, but I pronounce it Eh-meh-lean. I much, MUCH prefer that pronunciation!

I know an [name]EmmAline[/name].

She pronounces it emm-uh-line. She doesn’t have any nicknames, but I think her dad calls her [name]Emmy[/name] sometimes.

Thanks for the feedback, [name]Lyndsay[/name] and [name]Annie[/name]!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I’ve always pronounced it Eh-meh-lean. I think it sounds better than Eh-meh-line.

Whoops. I was pretty sure that it was [name]Emmaline[/name]…oh well.