Do you love or hate them? Convince me!

I absolutely love [name_f]Liv[/name_f], [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], [name_f]Olive[/name_f], [name_u]Scout[/name_u] and [name_f]Willa[/name_f] and also really like [name_f]Kaia[/name_f], [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f], [name_f]Lua[/name_f], [name_u]Fable[/name_u], and [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]. There are others that are absolutely fine, just not my style, but I must say I really dislike [name_f]Zinnia[/name_f], [name_f]Nola[/name_f] and [name_f]Mavis[/name_f]. All I can think of with [name_f]Zinnia[/name_f] is tinia, the fungal infection of the skin, mixed with zit :grimacing: Sorry, I know thatā€™s quite the imagery! The sound of [name_f]Nola[/name_f] just doesnā€™t appeal to me for some reason and [name_f]Mavis[/name_f] makes me think of [name_m]Beavis[/name_m] (as in [name_m]Beavis[/name_m] and Butt-Head). Sorry to dump on those! There are plenty of lovely names here, though.

1 Like

Iā€™m really enjoying the energy and musicality of ā€œ[name_u]Fifer[/name_u]ā€.
[name_f]Reverie[/name_f], [name_f]Georgia[/name_f], [name_u]Fable[/name_u], [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], [name_u]Dove[/name_u], and [name_f]Bryony[/name_f] are nice, too. [name_f]Boheme[/name_f]ā€¦I donā€™t know; what if she wanted to be an accountant, lol!
You have some interesting choices!

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite name on the list is [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]. I know that it may be a very common name but hear me out. [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_m]Lancaster[/name_m] is one of the strongest and kind and selfless characters around. [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] is the main character of the Fault in Our Stars. According to [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] Waters (her boyfriend) you donā€™t have to worry if she is smarter than you because you know she already is, she is funny without ever being mean, she cared about not how far she was loved but she desired to be loved deeply. When you name your baby [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] many people will have these connotations with her.

1 Like

@dandy_orchid, thanks!
I love how [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] sounds and I agree, it is so fun to say. I understand what people mean when they say to keep the names in the middleā€¦ I donā€™t think thatā€™s for me though. Iā€™ve actually had combos (come current) with all of those in the middle and I havenā€™t found any that work for me. I just canā€™t get behind the idea of burying something in the middle if I love it more than the first name, and I havenā€™t found a first name I love more that works with them (not to say I donā€™t have first names I love more than themā€”I doā€”but they either donā€™t work or already have combos).

@lavenderwitch,
-[name_u]Darcy[/name_u] is great on a boy, but not for me. I far prefer it for girls. Iā€™ve become worried itā€™s dated though
-[name_u]Dove[/name_u] [name_u]Cameron[/name_u] is exactly what Iā€™m going for! I think sheā€™s so talented and such a great role model!
-LOVE your descriptions of [name_u]Fifer[/name_u] and [name_u]Fable[/name_u]
-[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] rhymes with [name_f]Willa[/name_f]. Iā€™m not sure of its origins.
-Did I miss a final book where [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] becomes a serial killer or something, or am I just remembering [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] [name_m]Quimby[/name_m] differently than everyone else? Because I quite enjoyed her character and her books when I was youngerā€¦

@QueenieGuldbaek,
-Iā€™ve never heard ā€œa liarā€ from [name_f]Alaia[/name_f] but I can see why others would. Not sure it bothers me
-The meaning of [name_f]Cecily[/name_f] isnā€™t ideal but itā€™s one of my momā€™s favorite names so that meaning is far more important to me than its literal meaning
-I really donā€™t like [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] so I wouldnā€™t use it as a full name for [name_f]Liv[/name_f]

1 Like

@TDFM,
Iā€™m starting to think [name_f]Zinnia[/name_f] isnā€™t for me, although I like the flowers. Iā€™m not familiar with [name_m]Beavis[/name_m] and Butt-Head.

@voughtlori,
[name_f]Glad[/name_f] to see some love for [name_u]Fifer[/name_u]! I might just be dumb, but I donā€™t understand the [name_f]Boheme[/name_f] as an accountant thing thoughā€¦

@cjwalsh121,
Iā€™m quite neutral on The Fault in Our Stars (if anything, I hold a grudge because itā€™s a large part of what made [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] so popular haha) but that description is lovely. I actually had the opportunity to visit the [name_u]Anne[/name_u] [name_m]Frank[/name_m] House in [name_u]March[/name_u], before the world went crazy, and at the end of the tour, thereā€™s a video that plays about the history of the museum. They included [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_u]Green[/name_u] reading from the book and that stuck out to me (despite having never read the book, although I did watch the movie). Iā€™m not sure if [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_m]Lancaster[/name_m] is a positive association for me but Iā€™ll never forget that.

1 Like

Hmm, Iā€™m not much of a nicknamer. With all of those, Iā€™d rather call her [name_f]Georgia[/name_f], [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], or [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] in full. For [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], Iā€™d actually love to call her [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], but it was used in the family already and I have such a small family, so itā€™s not much to avoid names. I like [name_f]Lola[/name_f] and [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] but not nearly as much as [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] and [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]. Same with [name_f]Gia[/name_f] and [name_f]Gigi[/name_f] versus [name_f]Georgia[/name_f].

I canā€™t decide if the names being shortened would be enough for me to drop them to my long list or if it would just simply be not ideal.

1 Like

Iā€™d say yes to:
[name_f]Alaia[/name_f] - So beautiful! It has such an elegant sound and I really like it
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f] - Very cute, reminds me of [name_m]Peter[/name_m] Rabbit
[name_u]Darcy[/name_u] - This is a little more trendy than some of your other names (and I personally prefer it on a boy) but itā€™s not a bad name by any means
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] - This has such a sweet sound and I can see it fitting so many different personalities
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f] - Mystical, pretty and elven
[name_u]Fifer[/name_u] - I actually really like this! Itā€™s like a more unique version of [name_u]Piper[/name_u]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] - Vintage and charming
[name_f]Kaia[/name_f] - Such a gorgeous name! Thereā€™s something about that ā€˜aiaā€™ sound
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] - At first I misread this as [name_f]Lilia[/name_f], which is probably something to note. I think it has such a lovely, soft sound though and is a great alternative for [name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Lua[/name_f] - Short, cute and sassy
[name_f]Nola[/name_f] - I love the way this just rolls off the tongue!
[name_f]Olive[/name_f] - [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] and [name_f]Olive[/name_f] would be the perfect sisters! This is such a pretty name
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f] - Spunky and unique
[name_f]Thora[/name_f] - Itā€™s so strong yet so soft at the same time
[name_f]Willa[/name_f] - I can never decide whether I prefer this or [name_u]Willow[/name_u], theyā€™re both so beautiful!
[name_f]Xanthe[/name_f] - This definitely makes me picture a Greek goddess, which I think would be a great association for a little girl!
[name_f]Yara[/name_f] - A gorgeous name
[name_f]Zinnia[/name_f] - It does bring to mind [name_f]Zinnia[/name_f] Wormwood (the mother in [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]) but I donā€™t think itā€™s a problem

[name_f]Boheme[/name_f], [name_u]Dove[/name_u], [name_u]Fable[/name_u], [name_f]Reverie[/name_f], [name_u]Scout[/name_u] and [name_f]Seville[/name_f] are great, but Iā€™d keep them in the middle spot (or [name_u]Scout[/name_u] as a nn)

Iā€™d say no to:
[name_f]Bryony[/name_f] - Iā€™m just personally not a fan of this name, but itā€™s not a bad name at all
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f] - This is my name and I just find it really boring. I know quite a lot of Georgias so itā€™s not really special to me (based on what previous posters have said, Iā€™d just like to say I donā€™t know any who go by a nn)
[name_f]Liv[/name_f] - I think itā€™s a little insubstantial on its own. Iā€™d prefer it as a nn for something like [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] or [name_f]Lavender[/name_f]
[name_f]Mavis[/name_f] - It just makes me think of old ladies and Hotel Transylvania, sorry!

On the whole you have a great list!

1 Like

I like:
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f]
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f]
Not [name_u]Fable[/name_u], but I like [name_f]Sable[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] (but might get confused for [name_f]Lila[/name_f], which I also like)
[name_f]Liv[/name_f] (favorite!)
[name_f]Mavis[/name_f] (also like Maevyn and [name_f]Maeva[/name_f])
[name_f]Nola[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f] (also like [name_u]Willow[/name_u])

1 Like

I really like (asterisk = love):
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f]* - Such a sweet and unique version of [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]!
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]* - Iā€™ve always loved this name. Itā€™s sophisticated and uncommon.
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f] - A really sweet and intriguing Cornish name.
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]* - Elegant and timeless.
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]* - Beautiful, and reminds me of a wonderful friend I knew with this name as a child.
[name_f]Kaia[/name_f] - Pretty, sleek and modern-sounding.
[name_f]Liv[/name_f] - Reminds me of [name_f]Liv[/name_f] [name_u]Tyler[/name_u]. [name_u]Love[/name_u] her!
[name_f]Nola[/name_f] - A nice, uncommon alternative to [name_f]Nora[/name_f].
[name_f]Xanthe[/name_f] - Very pretty, and strikingly different.
[name_f]Yara[/name_f]* - A lovely, multicultural name with beautiful meanings.

The rest for me are mix of ā€œokayā€ and ā€œnot my styleā€.
Some comments:
[name_f]Alaia[/name_f] - This reminds me of the luxury fashion brand of this name. Also, in accents that drop Rs it would sound identical to ā€œa liarā€.
[name_f]Boheme[/name_f] - I wouldnā€™t be sure how to pronounce this, plus it comes across as very hipster-ish to me and ā€œtrying hard to sound differentā€.
[name_u]Fifer[/name_u] - Very surname-y and just doesnā€™t sound nice to me.
[name_f]Olive[/name_f] - This would be an awkward name to have if she hates olives.
[name_f]Seville[/name_f] - I just think of the [name_m]Barber[/name_m] and the Cadillac.

1 Like

I love: [name_u]Dove[/name_u], [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], Geogria, [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_f]Liv[/name_f], [name_f]Mavis[/name_f], [name_f]Olive[/name_f] and [name_u]Scout[/name_u]
The only name I really dislike is [name_u]Fifer[/name_u]. It really reminds me of [name_m]Pfeiffer[/name_m]ā€™s disease (infectious mononucleosis, glandular fever) and it sounds a little like a toddler is trying to say ā€˜[name_u]Piper[/name_u]ā€™. [name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_m]Five[/name_m] or [name_u]Fife[/name_u]? Something completely different, but it sounds similar.

1 Like

@[name_f]Gia[/name_f].berry, Iā€™m glad you like [name_u]Fifer[/name_u]! It appears that itā€™s another of of those names you either love or hate so thatā€™s something to take into consideration.
I, too, adore the ā€œaiaā€ sound. Anything with a long I, really.
I know [name_f]Georgia[/name_f] is less common in the US but popularity, even perceived popularity (for example, a name seeming boring) is definitely a turnoff. I must say, I adore your name though!
Iā€™m worried that Iā€™m starting to agree with you about [name_f]Liv[/name_f]. The thing is, Iā€™m not really a nickname person. I think Iā€™d be the type who wants to call my child whatā€™s on their birth certificate so while I enjoy [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] and [name_f]Lavender[/name_f], it would take away from the beauty of [name_f]Liv[/name_f] if I have to tuck it in as a nickname. Itā€™s a shame.

@Claire1013, I canā€™t use [name_f]Sable[/name_f], sorry! I also like [name_u]Maven[/name_u] and [name_u]Willow[/name_u].

@choupette,
Iā€™m torn on [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]. On the one hand, itā€™s sophisticated but I think it also sounds spunky. I guess it depends on the person which comes out more. Also happy to see people have positive associations with [name_f]Yara[/name_f]! As I said, I have no idea about the GoT reference.

@foeva, it seems that [name_u]Fifer[/name_u] is polarizing. Iā€™ve never heard of [name_m]Pfeiffer[/name_m]ā€™s disease. [name_m]Five[/name_m] isnā€™t really a name to me and [name_u]Fife[/name_u] seems incomplete. Iā€™d just stick with [name_u]Piper[/name_u] unless it gets too popular, in which case Iā€™m not sure about [name_u]Fifer[/name_u] at this point.

2 Likes

Top 5 Favorites:

• [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]: Pretty, vintage, and has a nature association!
  • [name_f]Ramona[/name_f]: Nameberry describes this as a ā€œSweet Spotā€ name and I agree. Itā€™s not very popular but itā€™s not too unusual either. I imagine a young [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] as quirky and cool.
  • [name_f]Zinnia[/name_f]: I love this name. Itā€™s unique, but familiar since itā€™s the name of a flower!
  • [name_u]Darcy[/name_u]: A lovely gender neutral choice. To me, [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] could be a tomboy or a very feminine young girl- not a name that has too strong of an association either way, but that makes it a strong choice.
  • [name_f]Mavis[/name_f]: Vintage and beautiful.

5 Least Favorites:

• [name_f]Boheme[/name_f]: While [name_u]Bo[/name_u] and [name_f]Emmie[/name_f] would be cute nicknames, I really canā€™t see this as an actual name for a person. And what if she isnā€™t bohemian :P?
  • [name_f]Seville[/name_f]: I just think ā€œseverā€ or ā€œsevereā€. Or [name_m]Neville[/name_m].
  • [name_f]Bryony[/name_f]: Normally I like nature names, but this one just sounds harsh to me. [name_m]Don[/name_m]ā€™t care for its similarity to the name ā€œ[name_m]Brian[/name_m]ā€ either.
  • [name_u]Fifer[/name_u]: I just donā€™t like the way it sounds. [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] and [name_u]Piper[/name_u] sound better to me.
  • [name_f]Alaia[/name_f]: I immediately pronounced this ā€œah-leyaā€, like [name_f]Leia[/name_f] but with an A at the beginning. According to Nameberry though itā€™s meant to be pronounced ā€œah-LYE-ahā€. So I imagine this one is gonna face a lot of pronunciation issues.

I think the names [name_u]Dove[/name_u], [name_u]Fable[/name_u], and [name_u]Scout[/name_u] would make good middles.

1 Like

[name_f]Alaia[/name_f] ā€“ I like it! Fresh and sweet. The amount of vowels (in comparison) is a little off-putting to me personally, but I think itā€™s lovely.

[name_f]Boheme[/name_f] ā€“ I totally get the appeal of modern, hipster names; I love a few myself! But the sound of [name_f]Boheme[/name_f] just doesnā€™t appeal to me personally at all. I find it a bit lacking ā€“ it would be fiery pits for me :pensive:

[name_f]Bryony[/name_f] ā€“ LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! One of my personal favourites is [name_u]Briar[/name_u], so [name_f]Bryony[/name_f] is another name I adore. I think itā€™s strong and spunky, but still feminine. I immediately associate with [name_u]Briar[/name_u] (as in the princess connotation), so thatā€™s a plus too. Stunning name.

[name_f]Cecily[/name_f] ā€“ Erm, fiery pits! Iā€™m so sorry! To me, it just seems outdated and old-fashioned, like something that belongs on a great-aunt.

[name_u]Darcy[/name_u] ā€“ It doesnā€™t really do that much for me, but I donā€™t hate it either; Iā€™m no help with this one!

[name_u]Dove[/name_u] ā€“ fresh, light and lovely imagery. What a wonderful choice for a fun middle name. I personally wouldnā€™t go for it as a first name.

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] ā€“ this is a timeless classic. [name_f]Elle[/name_f] is such an adorable nickname.

[name_f]Elowen[/name_f] ā€“ this seems to be a Nameberry favourite! I really like this; feels like a fresh and modern twist on [name_f]Eloise[/name_f].

[name_u]Fable[/name_u] ā€“ I adore this name; mostly as a literary, sweet middle, but also as an unusual first.

[name_u]Fifer[/name_u] ā€“ Sorry, fiery pits for me! [name_m]Just[/name_m] not a fan of the double F sound. [name_u]Piper[/name_u] is a pretty alternative.

[name_f]Georgia[/name_f] ā€“ [name_f]Lovely[/name_f] name, but a overdone for [name_f]Gen[/name_f] Z I think. Was always ā€œ[name_f]Georgia[/name_f] Kā€, ā€œ[name_f]Georgia[/name_f] Lā€, etc.

[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] ā€“ sweet and vintage. Fantastic name with lots of history and thereā€™s also the nature connection. [name_m]Can[/name_m]ā€™t go wrong.

[name_f]Kaia[/name_f] ā€“ I like it! Spunky and strong.

[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] ā€“ Well, itā€™s definitely not the fiery pits, but I wouldnā€™t say ā€˜future daughterā€™s nameā€™ either. [name_f]Lily[/name_f] will forever be my favourite variation. Thereā€™s [name_f]Lillian[/name_f], which is a nice way to get to [name_f]Lilla[/name_f] (so she has the option of other nicknames). I do like [name_f]Lila[/name_f] more, I think it has a fresher feel than [name_f]Lilla[/name_f]. However, this is an unusual variation! I see why you like it.

[name_f]Liv[/name_f] - this will forever be too nicknamey for me :pensive:

[name_f]Lua[/name_f] - Something about the sound just puts me off, Iā€™m sorry!

[name_f]Mavis[/name_f] - Fiery pits for me! Sounds outdated to me, sorry! [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] and [name_f]Mauve[/name_f] are fresher alternatives :relaxed:

[name_f]Nola[/name_f] - I donā€™t mind it! Feels fresher and more interesting than [name_f]Nora[/name_f].

[name_f]Olive[/name_f] - This is vintage and strong; I know a nineteen year old who wears this name well! Great name, but [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] is my favourite vintage choice here.

[name_f]Ramona[/name_f] ā€“ spunky, but feels very ā€˜80s grungeā€™ to me; which isnā€™t necessarily a bad thing, if thatā€™s what youā€™re going for!

[name_f]Reverie[/name_f] - Fiery pits for me! Too frilly and feminine for me.

[name_u]Scout[/name_u] - I quite like it. To Kill a Mockingbird immediately springs to mind. [name_u]Scout[/name_u] has always been on my list of dog names though, so I do like it more for a pet, sorry!

[name_f]Seville[/name_f] - Fiery pits! Feels like a mashup of two names, and the sound isnā€™t at all appealing to me personally.

[name_f]Thora[/name_f] ā€“ vintage and strong, love the meaning behind it.

[name_f]Willa[/name_f] ā€“ [name_u]Willow[/name_u] has been one of my top names for a long time now, so Iā€™ll always love [name_u]Willow[/name_u] more, Iā€™m afraid. However, [name_f]Willa[/name_f] is fresh and sweet, definitely a contender for your future daughter in my opinion.

[name_f]Xanthe[/name_f] ā€“ This is spunky and futuristic, especially with the strong nickname [name_m]Xan[/name_m].

[name_f]Yara[/name_f] ā€“ not my personal style, so I really canā€™t vote on this one; Iā€™m indifferent.

[name_f]Zinnia[/name_f] ā€“ Iā€™m not a big fan! However, since you like both this and [name_f]Nola[/name_f], how about [name_u]Zola[/name_u]? I always thought that was such a lovely name (I heard it on [name_u]Grey[/name_u]ā€™s Anatomy).

1 Like

[name_f]Alaia[/name_f]- This just seems made up to me, and I feel like she might get mixed up with all the other [name_f]Elena[/name_f], [name_f]Alayna[/name_f], and [name_f]Layla[/name_f]ā€™s.
[name_f]Boheme[/name_f]- I canā€™t get over the sound of this one. It gives me bad imagery and just sounds heavy and too try-hard.
[name_f]Bryony[/name_f]- I donā€™t mind this, but would never use it.
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f]- very pretty, gives me good vibes :slight_smile:
[name_u]Darcy[/name_u]- I love this sweet little unisex treasure for a girl. So sweet.
[name_u]Dove[/name_u]- love this as a middle. So sweet and pure.
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]- very classic and put together. I just feel like there are a lot of ā€œ[name_f]El[/name_f]ā€ names. [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_u]Ellis[/name_u], [name_f]Ellen[/name_f], etc
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f]- LOVE ā€œ[name_f]Winnie[/name_f]ā€ as a nick name for this one, just feel like the name itself is trendy
[name_u]Fable[/name_u]- precious vibes. Could see it as a first name possibly, but love it as a middle!
[name_u]Fifer[/name_u]- i have a HUGE crush on this one. I love how it sounds, and I can picture such a friendly, spunky little girl. I just donā€™t know how well it will wear into adulthood :thinking:
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]- so cute and wearable!
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]- Iā€™ve always loved this one. It just sounds so sweet and mellow.
[name_f]Kaia[/name_f]- not my cup of tea, kind of boring to me
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f]- I feel like this gets lost with all the [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Lillian[/name_f], [name_f]Lila[/name_f], and [name_f]Lilias[/name_f].
[name_f]Liv[/name_f]- cute nickname, seems very unsubstantial as a first name
[name_f]Lua[/name_f]- seems very made up and nicknamey
[name_f]Mavis[/name_f]- I think this is so pretty! Gives me shy, polite girl vibes
[name_f]Nola[/name_f]- love this as a nn for [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f], not so much love for it by itself
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]- I think this is so precious! I just donā€™t love how close it is to [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] :slightly_frowning_face:
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f]- I think this might be cute, but I canā€™t get over the ā€œmoanā€ sound in the middle
[name_f]Reverie[/name_f]- I feel like this one will get very popular, and I can see why. I love the whimsical feel it gives me.
[name_u]Scout[/name_u]- this one is precious, I just canā€™t picture a grown woman with this name
[name_f]Seville[/name_f]- this one is interesting, but I like it more for a boy.
[name_f]Thora[/name_f]- this one gives me very masculine vibes. Not my cup of tea.
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]- love [name_f]Willa[/name_f]! So sweet and southern
[name_f]Xanthe[/name_f]- I can see the appeal of this one, I would just never use it. However, I picture a strong girl-boss using this name. :slightly_smiling_face:
[name_f]Yara[/name_f]- kind of boring
[name_f]Zinnia[/name_f]- not a huge fan of the sounds, but I love the floral imagery it gives me

1 Like

Hereā€™s an update for where I am with everything:

[name_f]Alaia[/name_f]- OUT. Still on the long list but I also have [name_f]Amaia[/name_f] and I prefer that

[name_f]Boheme[/name_f]- Unsure. Did some research and itā€™s possibly offensive? [name_m]Will[/name_m] ponder

[name_f]Bryony[/name_f]- IN. Definitely a top name list consideration. I love its strength, rarity, and nature connection

[name_f]Cecily[/name_f]- IN. Vintage isnā€™t necessarily a bad thing but this seems to be a spicy vintage name, which I love

[name_u]Darcy[/name_u]- Unsure. Possibly dated. [name_m]Will[/name_m] ponder

[name_u]Dove[/name_u]- Unsure. It dies in the middle for me so thatā€™s not an option. [name_m]Long[/name_m] names make it seem too soft in the middle, short names just sound soft as a combo. Iā€™ve tried, doesnā€™t work for me.

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]- Middle name only. Talk of sophistication aside (not my thing), I canā€™t use [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] or [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], and it sounds like people want to shorten this

[name_f]Elowen[/name_f]- IN, on one condition: [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] can be avoided

[name_u]Fable[/name_u]- IN. Absolutely in. The votes were somewhat split but I still love it

[name_u]Fifer[/name_u]- OUT. It was supposed to be an alternative to [name_u]Piper[/name_u] but I just like [name_u]Piper[/name_u] more. If it gets too popular, Iā€™ll just let [name_u]Piper[/name_u] go

[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]- OUT. I like it but Iā€™m just not sure itā€™s for me!

[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]- Middle name only. Too popular. It can shine as a middle for me though so Iā€™m fine with it

[name_f]Kaia[/name_f]- OUT. Still on the long list but I havenā€™t been able to find a middle name for it in 5+ years

[name_f]Lilla[/name_f]- OUT. Iā€™ll still probably fall in love with this again but I find my infatuation goes away.

[name_f]Liv[/name_f]- Unsure. Currently pondering [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] [name_u]Pax[/name_u] ā€œ[name_f]Liv[/name_f]ā€. Still unsure if nicknames are something I can commit to though.

[name_f]Lua[/name_f]- OUT. Still on the long list but youā€™re right, itā€™s missing something

[name_f]Mavis[/name_f]- Unsure. I still donā€™t find it frumpy :woman_shrugging:t3:.

[name_f]Nola[/name_f]- Still on my long list.

[name_f]Olive[/name_f]- OUT. I can appreciate it for others but it might not be for me.

[name_f]Ramona[/name_f]- IN. I love [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] and [name_u]Romy[/name_u], and I think itā€™s another spicy classic

[name_f]Reverie[/name_f]- Unsure. Another one that doesnā€™t do anything for me in the middle. I think it ends up sounding wishy-washy but maybe Iā€™ll find something. I donā€™t hate [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] [name_f]Reverie[/name_f]. But Iā€™d just as easily consider this as a first name

[name_u]Scout[/name_u]- Unsure. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom would hate it. Like [name_u]Dove[/name_u], often dies in the middle.

[name_f]Seville[/name_f]- I still love this. No one else does, and thatā€™s fine. Iā€™ll likely consider it for a character.

[name_f]Thora[/name_f]- IN. The ā€œbadā€ arguments were its dark sound and similarity to [name_m]Thor[/name_m]. Well, I have [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] on my middle names list and a sticker on the laptop Iā€™m typing this on with a quote from [name_m]Thor[/name_m]: [name_m]Ragnarok[/name_m] soā€¦ Also the ā€œgoodā€ arguments were pretty good!

[name_f]Willa[/name_f]- Unsure. I think itā€™s as much me as [name_f]Iris[/name_f] is but as much not me as [name_f]Olive[/name_f] is, so you can see my dilemma.

[name_f]Xanthe[/name_f]- IN, but with the right partner. Iā€™ll update you on that once I get over my fear of commitment.

[name_f]Yara[/name_f]- OUT. Iā€™m too confused by it. [name_m]Will[/name_m] probably use it for a character.

[name_f]Zinnia[/name_f]- OUT. [name_f]Zinnia[/name_f] Wormwood sold it for me. Plus, I like [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] more and theyā€™d be too similar to use together

[name_f]Alaia[/name_f] - I donā€™t dislike this one, but much prefer the similar sounding [name_f]Elena[/name_f]!
[name_f]Boheme[/name_f] - Too close to Bohemian for me and it sounds a bit harsh to me.
[name_f]Bryony[/name_f] - Very pretty! I like this one a lot.
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f] - This is very frilly and dainty to me, in a good way. [name_u]Love[/name_u] it.
[name_u]Darcy[/name_u] - Similar to [name_f]Cecily[/name_f], I like this a lot. It also has a nice spunk to it, despite being very pretty.
[name_u]Dove[/name_u] - Not my personal style, but I love this. Very fresh and pretty. It strikes me a bit as a ā€œcool girlā€ name.
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] - [name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I actually just landed on this name, so Iā€™m awfully biased, but I think itā€™s absolutely beautiful. Timeless and charming.
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f] - I like this a lot too!
[name_u]Fable[/name_u] - Oh, this is cool. Again, not totally my style, but Iā€™d be delighted to meet someone with this name.
[name_u]Fifer[/name_u] - Maybe Iā€™m pronouncing this wrong, but I donā€™t like this one. I think of ā€œfee, fi, fo, funā€ from the giant in jack and the beanstalk.
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f] - This is very pretty. In the same league as ā€œ[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]ā€ in my mind - timeless with a slight southern feel to it. Maybe itā€™s because it seemed to be very popular where I grew up ([name_u]Texas[/name_u]).
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] - Another beautiful name, love this one.
[name_f]Kaia[/name_f] - Very sleek!
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] - This is one of my personal favorites, very graceful sounding.
[name_f]Liv[/name_f] - This just seems too short for me. I feel like a girl named [name_f]Liv[/name_f] would often get asked ā€œwhatā€™s that short forā€
[name_f]Lua[/name_f] - I saw someone above misread it as [name_f]Pua[/name_f] and now I canā€™t think of anything else!
[name_f]Mavis[/name_f]- Iā€™m a bit torn on this one. I think it could fit in well with the revival of cute ā€œold ladyā€ names, but itā€™s just not my personal favorite.
[name_f]Nola[/name_f] - A lot of my friends from the south often refer to [name_u]New[/name_u] Orleans as ā€œ[name_f]Nola[/name_f]ā€, so itā€™s not necessarily a bad connotation, just one that immediately came to mind for me!
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]- I didnā€™t used to love this, but thereā€™s a sweet little [name_f]Olive[/name_f] at my church who changed my mind. Very charming and spunky.
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f] - This oneā€™s very sweet too.
[name_f]Reverie[/name_f] - I donā€™t love this one. [name_m]Don[/name_m]ā€™t have any particular reason not to, itā€™s just not my favorite.
[name_u]Scout[/name_u] - Very spunky and fun, but would prefer it as a middle.
[name_f]Seville[/name_f] - Not my style.
[name_f]Thora[/name_f] - I think the grandmother from [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] is named [name_f]Thora[/name_f]! I like it, though.
[name_f]Willa[/name_f] - Heart eyes.
[name_f]Yara[/name_f]- I havenā€™t heard this before but I really like it!
[name_f]Zinnia[/name_f] - Made me think of the mom from [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], so not the biggest fan.

1 Like

[name_u]Love[/name_u]!:
[name_f]Boheme[/name_f]
[name_f]Bryony[/name_f]
[name_u]Fable[/name_u]

Like:
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f]
[name_u]Dove[/name_u]
[name_f]Alaia[/name_f]
[name_f]Reverie[/name_f]
[name_f]Thora[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]

Meh (or overdone):
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Kaia[/name_f]
[name_f]Liv[/name_f]
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f]
[name_f]Xanthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Yara[/name_f]
[name_f]Zinnia[/name_f]
[name_f]Mavis[/name_f]
[name_f]Nola[/name_f]
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]

Lose:
[name_u]Scout[/name_u]
[name_f]Seville[/name_f]
[name_u]Darcy[/name_u]
[name_u]Fifer[/name_u]
[name_f]Lua[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f]

1 Like

There are some [name_f]Beverly[/name_f] [name_m]Cleary[/name_m] books that I love (especially the Mouse and the Motorcycle), but I never could stand the [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] series. We were required to read them for school when I was in elementary, and then we watched the movie in class. Iā€™ve always been sensitive to secondhand embarrassment, and [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] does so many cringeworthy, mortifying things. I had to read the section about smashing the egg on her head out loud in class and I just wanted to sink through the floor and die! I remember all the characters being really horrible to each other, and the nickname Beezus always sets my teeth on edge, haha. Not many positive associations for me with that series.

Thatā€™s really odd because I also have awful secondhand embarrassmentā€¦ I canā€™t stand The Office and I could never do those prank shows, even as a kid, yet I never felt that way about [name_f]Ramona[/name_f]. I really donā€™t like the name [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] so Beezus doesnā€™t do anything for me either. But [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] has always been positive for me. Not trying to invalidate your experienceā€”I did ask and I really appreciate the comment!ā€”itā€™s just strange to me because I have a similar cringe response to secondhand embarrassment.

1 Like

Not to derail your thread, but I find it really interesting that people can have the same cringe response but not necessarily to the same things. I canā€™t handle The Office either, but I can watch things like [name_u]New[/name_u] Girl or [name_f]Jane[/name_f] the Virgin, which send my partnerā€™s secondhand embarrassment through the roof! Another one like [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] for me is [name_u]Anne[/name_u] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables. I can read the books just fine, but Iā€™ve watched several TV or movie adaptations, and each time Iā€™m just mortified on her behalf - usually when she cracks the slate over [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m]ā€™s head, haha. [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] is even worse for me, though. Maybe because [name_u]Anne[/name_u] isnā€™t necessarily obnoxious, just strange and impassioned? [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] seems to go out of her way to cause trouble and annoy people, and I remember just internally begging her to stop and feeling like I was watching a car accident happen in slow motion.