Do you love or hate them? Convince me!

Thanks (sarcasm) to self-isolation and thanks (genuine!!) to you berries, I have a top names list! I would describe my girl names as free-spirited, uncommon, and inspired by beauty in the world (nature, places, works of art, etc.) and this is the style I see myself sticking to if I ever have a daughter.

[name_f]My[/name_f] top 21 is in my user card, if you’re curious. :grin:

Now, I have a few names that I can never quite figure out where to place. Some are old favorites, some are new crushes, some fall in the middle. Since I’m hopeless to do it on my own, I want your help convincing me on these names. Pick as many names as you want, and either prove to me that this is the name of my future daughter or convince me that this name is the worst and should die in a fiery hellfire.

You guys are all such sweet people but please, I won’t be offended if you dump on a name—I encourage it! This is where you can be as nice or as mean as you want.

The list:
[name_f]Alaia[/name_f]
[name_f]Boheme[/name_f]
[name_f]Bryony[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f]
[name_u]Darcy[/name_u]
[name_u]Dove[/name_u]
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f]
[name_u]Fable[/name_u]
[name_u]Fifer[/name_u]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Kaia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f]
[name_f]Liv[/name_f]
[name_f]Lua[/name_f]
[name_f]Mavis[/name_f]
[name_f]Nola[/name_f]
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f]
[name_f]Reverie[/name_f]
[name_u]Scout[/name_u]
[name_f]Seville[/name_f]
[name_f]Thora[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_f]Xanthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Yara[/name_f]
[name_f]Zinnia[/name_f]

Thank you for your opinions, no matter how brutal they are!

3 Likes

[name_u]Fifer[/name_u] just sounds weird to me. Theyre all really interesting!
I especially like [name_f]Liv[/name_f] because that’s what the protagonist in the book I am writing is called. I can see all these names working on the kind of free-spirited name you want for your daughter! [name_f]Liv[/name_f] [name_f]Boheme[/name_f] would be a cool combo. [name_u]Scout[/name_u] makes me think of to kill a mockingbird which is a great book. So yeah those are my one to avoid and favourites

1 Like

Ooh I do like a lot of these for you!! [name_f]My[/name_f] favourites are [name_f]Alaia[/name_f], [name_f]Bryony[/name_f], [name_u]Darcy[/name_u], [name_u]Dove[/name_u], [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], [name_u]Fifer[/name_u], [name_f]Georgia[/name_f], [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_f]Kaia[/name_f], [name_f]Lilla[/name_f], [name_f]Liv[/name_f], [name_f]Nola[/name_f], [name_f]Olive[/name_f], [name_f]Willa[/name_f] and [name_f]Yara[/name_f] for you - they all have the outdoorsy, fun-loving, summery vibes I get from your other top names!

The only ones I don’t really like are [name_f]Lua[/name_f] (I would like this if I hadn’t misread it as [name_f]Pua[/name_f], the pig from [name_f]Moana[/name_f] :woman_facepalming:t3:), [name_f]Seville[/name_f], [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] (I feel like I see it everywhere on NB and I’m a bit tired of it?), [name_u]Scout[/name_u] and [name_f]Zinnia[/name_f] (the mom from [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] - [name_f]Zinnia[/name_f] Wormwood is all I think of :stuck_out_tongue:).

[name_f]Boheme[/name_f] and [name_f]Reverie[/name_f] I can see as MN options for you, and [name_f]Mavis[/name_f], [name_f]Cecily[/name_f], [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f], [name_f]Thora[/name_f] and [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] I do like, but they feel much heavier than your top names.

1 Like

[name_u]Fifer[/name_u] is not my favorite of these: it has similar sounds to many words but doesn’t sound super pretty as a name. [name_f]Seville[/name_f] sounds a bit too much like [name_m]Neville[/name_m] and severe (or [name_m]Severus[/name_m], as some sort of twisted ship name) mixed together: not my favorite. [name_u]Dove[/name_u] sounds like a name people would make fun of as a weird, stereotypical hippie name (though I think it’s lovely).

I love [name_f]Liv[/name_f] and [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] because they’re simple and natural but not too common. [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] is a charming name that lends itself to nicknames and a vintage name that seems fresh enough for modern use. [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] is distinguished and unique.

1 Like

[name_f]Alaia[/name_f]- Ooh, this name has a really nice, light and airy sound to it. I assume it’s like princess [name_f]Leia[/name_f] but with an ‘uh’ sound in the beginning? I wouldn’t name a daughter this, but I don’t dislike it. This one is just the type of name that I want to like and I think that others like it, but don’t really love it.
[name_f]Boheme[/name_f]- This name, I don’t really like. It, of course, reminds me of Bohemian, and that just doesn’t sound very nice to me. I really like the meaning and connotations, though.
[name_f]Bryony[/name_f]- [name_u]Love[/name_u] it! One of my favorite combos from a while back is [name_f]Bryony[/name_f] [name_f]Luned[/name_f]. It sounds so strong and awesome!
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f]- I love this name too! It always makes me envision a bow (like the type tied with a ribbon), it’s just so neat and pulled together… ah, such nice imagery!
[name_u]Darcy[/name_u]- Yes! This name is so spunky and cool- I would probably put it in the middle spot, just because it lends itself so well to such things!
[name_u]Dove[/name_u]- I want to like this name, but I just don’t. Maybe as a middle?
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]- I love it! It’s so sophisticated and waaaay prettier than [name_f]Elise[/name_f]. It sounds so french and always reminds me of the children’s books that I loved!
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f]- This name sounds so soft. It reminds me of sheep for some reason, though. Maybe because some books say that the sound sheep make is ‘low’, although ‘baa’ fits it way better.
[name_u]Fable[/name_u]- This is definitely a name that I would put in the middle spot. I like it, but as a first name I think it would be kind of weird.
[name_u]Fifer[/name_u]- This just makes me think of [name_f]Michelle[/name_f] Pfeifer (did I spell that right?) and the Pied [name_u]Piper[/name_u].
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]- I hate the state of [name_f]Georgia[/name_f] simply because it’s so hot and I haaaaaate heat. But the name is actually really cute! I love the nickname [name_u]Georgie[/name_u] for a spunky little girl.
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]- This is another name that I want to love but don’t really. There’s some punk band with it in the name, I forget the full name, but…
[name_f]Kaia[/name_f]- This was the name of my first-grade-teacher’s dog. And a girl in my class back then. I like this spelling the best, but I don’t like the name in general that much.
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f]- Ooooh, I’ve never heard of this name before! It’s really pretty.
[name_f]Liv[/name_f]- This itself is a super cute name, but I always view it as a nickname for [name_f]Olivia[/name_f].
[name_f]Lua[/name_f]- This is an interesting name. I’d say to go for it! I like the flowy sound. L’s always lend that feeling to me, they feel so flexible, and the ua sound after it completes the vibe!
[name_f]Mavis[/name_f]- I like this better than [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], but I don’t particularly like the sound of it. It seems so tepid to me.
[name_f]Nola[/name_f]- This is an interesting sound. I like it!
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]- I used to love this name, but now I know several people named [name_f]Olive[/name_f] who I don’t particularly like and DEFINITELY don’t want a daughter to end up like. Plus, it would be awkward ordering pizza :smirk:
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f]- I really like this name! It sounds wise and intellectual, although the children’s book character is anything but.
[name_f]Reverie[/name_f]- oooooh, I’ve never seen this as a name before. [name_u]Love[/name_u] the imagery! Could be a little weird as a first name though, so I would use it as a middle.
[name_u]Scout[/name_u]- Another one for the middle spot, or as a nickname. I reaaaaaally like this, but it would be odd as a first name. I once saw [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] nn [name_u]Scout[/name_u], what do you think of that?
[name_f]Seville[/name_f]- this reminds me of the Rabbit of [name_f]Seville[/name_f], that looney toons silly symphony thing. I love the cartoon, but…
[name_f]Thora[/name_f]- Hmmmmm. This is a very strong name, but it seems a little harsh for me.
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]- The exact opposite. I find this name to sound too wishy-washy and tepid.
[name_f]Xanthe[/name_f]- This is a pretty name! I don’t love it, but it’s nice!
[name_f]Yara[/name_f]- I don’t like this. It just doesn’t sound good to me, and makes me picture emptiness in a bad way.
[name_f]Zinnia[/name_f]- This is a really pretty name! I love the sound of it and the flowery image!

1 Like

@jonquils, I love that description of [name_f]Boheme[/name_f]! The word “boho” always comes to mind when I think of my style so I didn’t know it it was perfect or too perfect lol.

@LadyMacbethWho, [name_u]Fifer[/name_u] came as a “backup” for [name_u]Piper[/name_u] if I ever decide that one is too popular. It does have a weird sound though. Maybe not for me!

@leafsgirl44, I forgot [name_f]Zinnia[/name_f] was the mom from [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]! And I just read that book for a class… hmm, I wouldn’t want that if/when I someday read the book to my daughter.

@almostactually, oh I hate that description of [name_f]Seville[/name_f]… I’ve seen people say it reminds them of [name_m]Neville[/name_m] before but that doesn’t bother me because the emphasis is different (NE-ville vs se-VILLE) so it didn’t register to me. Snape/[name_m]Neville[/name_m] ship name though? That’s nasty. Thank you for that insight!

From the first batch of arguments, points going to:
[name_f]Boheme[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Liv[/name_f]

Points going against:
[name_u]Fifer[/name_u]
[name_f]Seville[/name_f]
[name_f]Zinnia[/name_f]

(Again, if I thank you for a harsh criticism, I’m being 100% genuine! [name_f]My[/name_f] logic is that if I still love a name despite brutality against it, then I actually love the name. If someone can convince me otherwise on it, then it’s not a true love)!

2 Likes

[name_f]Alaia[/name_f] - I love it. I love how it sounds. [name_f]My[/name_f] only issue with it currently is that it keeps appearing in some strange and badly written werewolf romances that keep getting advertised on my facebook, so it’s WEIRD. Also it does sound a little bit like ‘a liar’ (she’s alaia/a liar) but I don’t think that in itself makes it unusable, just a weird association for me.
[name_f]Boheme[/name_f] - I don’t like the sound, I don’t like the meaning, and it just feels like it’s trying too hard to me. Sorry. Fiery pits for this one. (I dislike it both as [name_u]Bo[/name_u]-heme and [name_u]Bo[/name_u]-em)
[name_f]Bryony[/name_f] - I really like [name_f]Bryony[/name_f], I like the sounds and the flowers. It’s off-beat without being try hard.
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f] - [name_f]Lovely[/name_f]! I really like [name_f]Cecily[/name_f].
[name_u]Darcy[/name_u] - I really like [name_u]Darcy[/name_u], I enjoy it on any gender. It would have to be paired well to work in a sibset with most of these other names though.
[name_u]Dove[/name_u] - It’s fine, I prefer it as a middle name. It’s a brand of soap/toiletries here, so that’s my first association rather than the bird. Also, Pigeons are a type of [name_u]Dove[/name_u]. I guess I just don’t find the sound that appealing and I’m unmoved by the imagery? It’s a cool word middle though.
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] - I’ve just never met a nice one. There are so many nicer [name_f]El[/name_f] names out there. I also don’t like [name_u]Louise[/name_u] or [name_f]Lois[/name_f], so [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] was never going to be up my street!
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f] - I think it’s lovely. Potentially becoming a bit of a Nameberry staple, but a lovely name nonetheless!
[name_u]Fable[/name_u] - I know a cat named [name_u]Fable[/name_u], I can’t not see it as a pet name only. Again it could be cool as a middle, but I can’t really see it as a first.
[name_u]Fifer[/name_u] - I can’t explain why, but my eyes hate reading this name. It’s just difficult for me. I generally enjoy the sound (I really like [name_u]Piper[/name_u]), but I really don’t like how it looks.
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f] - It’s fine, I neither love it nor hate it.
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] - It’s fine, I neither love it nor hate it. Getting quite popular though.
[name_f]Kaia[/name_f] - [name_u]Love[/name_u] it! It’s got the nice eye-ah sound from [name_f]Alaia[/name_f] but without the weird connotations or the unfortunate sound alike.
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] - It’s fine. It sounds a little choppy for me, I much prefer [name_f]Lilia[/name_f]. It’s not awful, I just don’t care for it - if you want [name_f]Lily[/name_f] / a ‘[name_f]Lil[/name_f]’ name without it being too popular, there are cooler options.
[name_f]Liv[/name_f] - I’ve never liked [name_f]Liv[/name_f]. I don’t like it as a nickname for [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] either. It just feels so - I’m not sure, is ‘jolly hockey sticks’ a vibe outside of [name_f]England[/name_f]? [name_f]Liv[/name_f] is sporty but not very clever, and always oppressively cheery but in that cloying way rather than a nice optimistic way.
[name_f]Lua[/name_f] - I wasn’t expecting to love it, but I do. I also love [name_u]Noa[/name_u], so I guess they do have overlap.
[name_f]Mavis[/name_f] - I don’t mind [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], but [name_f]Mavis[/name_f] is still solidly a ‘great-aunt you see at [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] and don’t like’ name for me.
[name_f]Nola[/name_f] - I love [name_f]Nola[/name_f]! It’s so pretty! It’s got a lot of the currently popular name things, but without feeling overdone.
[name_f]Olive[/name_f] - I don’t like the food or the colour, so the name isn’t very appealing to me at all. Sorry!
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f] - It’s fine, I’ve never really liked the sound. It feels very much like a name of a book character whose ‘not like other girls’, if that makes sense?
[name_f]Reverie[/name_f] - Honestly, I love it. I don’t know if I love it as a first name, but it’s cool.
[name_u]Scout[/name_u] - I’ve never liked the name [name_u]Scout[/name_u]. 1. I don’t care for the character in To Kill A Mockingbird. 2. To me it sounds like a nickname given to a girl by their dad who actually wanted a son. I get that that’s a silly reason not to like it, but it is what it is.
[name_f]Seville[/name_f] - I have a blanket dislike of place names (places named after people e.g. [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] or [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], fine, but naming someone after a place just doesn’t do it for me). But if I did like place names, I still wouldn’t like this one, sorry. It just doesn’t look or sound nice to me.
[name_f]Thora[/name_f] - It’s cool, I really like it.
[name_f]Willa[/name_f] - It’s nice, I don’t adore it but I think it’s a solid choice.
[name_f]Xanthe[/name_f] - it’s fine, I’m just not sure I enjoy the general sound. Sorry!
[name_f]Yara[/name_f] - It just makes me think of the character in Game of Thrones ([name_f]Asha[/name_f], in the books I think). Who lets her brother grope her because she knows he doesn’t recognise her. I think [name_f]Yara[/name_f] is a cool name, but I can’t disassociate it from that and it’s a bit squicky.
[name_f]Zinnia[/name_f] - It’s fine. A cool sound, I’m not fussed either way by the flowers.

Favourites: [name_f]Bryony[/name_f], [name_f]Cecily[/name_f], [name_u]Darcy[/name_u], [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], [name_f]Kaia[/name_f], [name_f]Lua[/name_f], [name_f]Nola[/name_f], [name_f]Reverie[/name_f], [name_f]Thora[/name_f] and [name_f]Willa[/name_f].
The ones I can actually see on your child are [name_u]Darcy[/name_u], [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], [name_f]Kaia[/name_f], [name_f]Nola[/name_f], [name_f]Thora[/name_f] and [name_f]Willa[/name_f].

Least favourites: [name_f]Boheme[/name_f], [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], [name_u]Fifer[/name_u], [name_f]Liv[/name_f], [name_f]Mavis[/name_f], [name_f]Olive[/name_f], [name_u]Scout[/name_u], [name_f]Seville[/name_f].

The others I can take or leave.

1 Like

[name_f]Alaia[/name_f]- I haven’t researched this name, so I don’t know the meaning or history behind it. I like it, but for your list, I think it doesn’t fit. It sounds a little made up and doesn’t have a lot of spunk. You seem to like unique names, but intriguing ones. I don’t think this one fits those categories.

[name_u]Dove[/name_u]- I love this. I think this captures the “mood” of your list really well. [name_u]Unique[/name_u], but not unheard of. The type of names that a lot of people might consider a “guilty pleasure,” but wouldn’t think badly of anyone who used the name for an actual child. This name has a quiet strength. It’s feminine, but definitely has spunk, and I think it is perfect for you.

[name_u]Fifer[/name_u]- This is gorgeous. As [name_u]Piper[/name_u] is becoming more common, it might not be as attractive (or maybe it is). [name_u]Fifer[/name_u] embodies the cheer and spirit of [name_u]Piper[/name_u] while being a little more unique.

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f], [name_f]Georgia[/name_f], [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_f]Mavis[/name_f], & [name_f]Olive[/name_f]- Because of what I said earlier, I was a little surprised to see these on your list. These certainly aren’t “guilty pleasures!” But now that I think a little more, I understand. These are tried and true names, but they’re not [name_u]Joan[/name_u] or [name_f]Ann[/name_f]. They’re old fashioned but they fit a modern girl very well, all the spunk and ambition of a newer generation, as well as the sweetness and femininity of a newer one! These deserve a place on your list!

[name_f]Willa[/name_f]- I could have included this in the last one, but I couldn’t. I have always been partial to [name_u]Willow[/name_u] and [name_f]Willa[/name_f], but recently, I’ve had a huge crush on [name_f]Willa[/name_f]. It’s simply enchanting and whimsical, somehow strong and sweet at the same time. I could definitely see this name making a comeback, but I hope it stays and undiscovered pearl. This also deserves a place!

[name_f]Zinnia[/name_f]- I personally don’t like this name. It fits your theme very well. However, I have always thought that this is a flower name that “tries to hard.” It’s a little too…something. Very eloquent, I know, but I guess what I’m trying to say is it’s a little too similar to [name_f]Pansy[/name_f] or [name_f]Petunia[/name_f]. A little too frilly. I normally like super frilly names, but this one is trying to hard. It can’t fit in with the classical, tasteful [name_f]Rose[/name_f] because it’s too modern. Yet, it’s not the cheerful, modern yet acceptable [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]. It’s stuck in an unattractive middle place. Still, just an opinion, and this name fits your list, even if I don’t like it.

[name_f]Seville[/name_f]- I love this, it feels exotic yet familiar. I feel this way about another one of my favorite names, [name_f]Vienna[/name_f].

[name_u]Scout[/name_u]- I understand why this has a place on your list, but I don’t like it. I think it will feel dated and trendy too soon. On the other hand, [name_f]Reverie[/name_f] has more dimension and grace, and I like it a lot

[name_f]Lilla[/name_f], [name_f]Liv[/name_f], and [name_f]Lua[/name_f]- I love these, but that’s all. They’re not special, but there’s nothing wrong with that.

[name_f]Boheme[/name_f], [name_f]Bryony[/name_f], [name_u]Fable[/name_u], [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f]- Your unique ones, your wildcards! I like these, everyone, very much. I don’t know if I can say, “use these for your future daughter,” but I certainly won’t say not to use them. They have so much spunk, yet they still have grace and femininity! Keep these!

[name_f]Yara[/name_f] & [name_f]Kaia[/name_f]- I’m normally not a huge fan of shorter names. There are certainly some I love, but unfortunately, not these. Again, these might have a lot of history and meaning, and if they do, I’m sorry, and don’t listen to me. These are similar to [name_f]Alaia[/name_f] for me. They’re sweet, they’re cute. But that’s all.

[name_f]Cecily[/name_f], [name_u]Darcy[/name_u], [name_f]Nola[/name_f], [name_f]Thora[/name_f], & [name_f]Ramona[/name_f]- I love these ones too! These are your “classic-ish” names: classic with a little extra spice. Perfect for your theme, all of them would be good choice for a future daughter.

[name_f]Elowen[/name_f]- Gorgeous, mystical, exquisitely Irish.

I think I got all of them. I love your style and I love your list. You have an amazing style!

1 Like

@dogs_books, I think this will require a longer reply, so here we go!
-I pronounce [name_f]Alaia[/name_f] as uh-LYE-uh. [name_f]Leia[/name_f] is nice but would be too airy for me. Not sure if that changes your stance!
-[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] is my go-to middle and I love it! Sophisticated might not be what I’m going for though. [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t get me wrong, it’s a positive adjective, but I don’t want to add names that people might see as prim or buttoned down.
-Agreed, the state of [name_f]Georgia[/name_f] sucks! I don’t like [name_u]Georgie[/name_u] much either. Hmm…
-I worry that [name_f]Liv[/name_f] will always be mistaken for a nickname. That’s my holdup with it, although I love its meaning and connotations.
-Hmm, I don’t like olives. Although, part of this name is a full name for [name_f]Liv[/name_f] besides [name_f]Olivia[/name_f].
-I always liked [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] [name_m]Quimby[/name_m]!
-I don’t like [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], sorry.
-[name_f]Yara[/name_f] does lend itself to empty sounds. I don’t know if I find it strong or wishy-washy

@anon68906791, I was going to ask about your scale but you beat me to it!

Points to:
[name_f]Bryony[/name_f]
[name_u]Darcy[/name_u]
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f]

Points against:
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_f]Yara[/name_f]

FYI, my point system is going to be very arbitrary.

Alright, I’ll give it a shot!

[name_f]Alaia[/name_f]-I know that this is a real name, because I just looked it up on behindthename.com. But it just looks kind of one of those made up trying too hard modern names. And I don’t care for the most natural nn, [name_u]Allie[/name_u]. It’s kind of 90s.

[name_f]Boheme[/name_f]-I don’t care for this one. It just reminds me of bohemian, & it’s just a strong connotation, you know?

[name_f]Bryony[/name_f]-I’m not a fan of this either. It doesn’t have a pleasant sound for some reason.

[name_f]Cecily[/name_f]-Ooh, I like this one. It’s unique & not weird. It has a sweet sing song-y sound.

[name_u]Darcy[/name_u]-I’m not a fan of this. It reminds me of [name_f]Marcy[/name_f], & that’s just snobby for some reason.

[name_u]Dove[/name_u]-I think that this is okay for a mn, but it’s kind of too hippy for a fn in my opinion.

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]-This is lovely! It’s smart, a little quirky & sassy, & just fun to say.

[name_f]Elowen[/name_f]-I like this too. It’s a little bit pixie-ish. But also elegant. And it has the cute nns of [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] or [name_f]Winnie[/name_f].

[name_u]Fable[/name_u]-I don’t know. It seems a bit more of a not name.

[name_u]Fifer[/name_u]-This reminds me of [name_u]Piper[/name_u], which just doesn’t sound pretty in my opinion.

[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]-This is nice. It has kind of a cool Southern feel. It’s not super special & a little bit common, but a good name. I like the nns [name_f]Gigi[/name_f] & [name_u]Georgie[/name_u] a lot.

[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]-This is a cool name, but it’s becoming really popular.

[name_f]Kaia[/name_f]-I don’t love this, because it’s just a little modern sounding & I personally generally prefer older names. But it’s not bad.

[name_f]Lilla[/name_f]-This looks off. I love [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] or [name_f]Lilie[/name_f], but this seems weird.

[name_f]Liv[/name_f]-I don’t like this much either. I love [name_f]Olive[/name_f] & kind of like [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] too. And I love [name_f]Livy[/name_f]! So, there’s no reason that I shouldn’t like this, but it’s way too short on its own.

[name_f]Lua[/name_f]-This just seems like [name_f]Luna[/name_f] missing something, & [name_f]Luna[/name_f] is so dreadfully trendy.

[name_f]Mavis[/name_f]-I don’t mind this. I want to like it. It’s a little bit too nerdy (and I like nerdy names), but I like that it’s unique & old fashioned w/out being weird.

[name_f]Nola[/name_f]-This is okay. Not sure why I don’t like it. I like similar names like [name_f]Finola[/name_f], [name_f]Nora[/name_f] & [name_f]Nava[/name_f].

[name_f]Olive[/name_f]-[name_u]Love[/name_u] this one! It’s charming, quirky, simple & vintage-y sounding.

[name_f]Ramona[/name_f]-I kind of like this. It’s okay. I want to like it, but it’s not my style. It’s a good solid not too over done name though.

[name_f]Reverie[/name_f]-This is a little much for a name. Maybe in the mn name spot.

[name_u]Scout[/name_u]-This is really cute & spunky, but I like it better as a nn for [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] or [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f].

[name_f]Seville[/name_f]-Hm. That’s a little not that pretty.

[name_f]Thora[/name_f]-Kind of cool & different, but sounds a little bit dark.

[name_f]Willa[/name_f]-I like this. It’s smart, simple & has a nice sound. But I don’t like the possibility of the nn [name_u]Willie[/name_u] much.

[name_f]Xanthe[/name_f]-Meh, this one just looks weird to me. Not sure why. I know it’s a real name, I just can’t get into it.

[name_f]Yara[/name_f]-Meh, this doesn’t sound that pretty in my opinion.

[name_f]Zinnia[/name_f]-This is cool. I like unique floral names.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@maerad, yes thank you for your brutality!
-I’ve seen the “a liar” thing before, it doesn’t bother me. I don’t hear it, being a stupid American and all who pronounces Rs at the end of things :wink:
-Wow, did you read my reply earlier before you posted about [name_f]Boheme[/name_f]? Hit my concern right on the nose. Great point.
-[name_u]Love[/name_u] that description of [name_f]Bryony[/name_f].
-I do worry that [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] is too buttoned-up, almost spoiled. It will remain my go-to middle though…
-[name_u]Fifer[/name_u] might be done. You guys are convincing me
-I get two vibes from [name_f]Liv[/name_f]. One is the spunky, free-spirited little girl that I can picture myself yelling at because she’s my daughter and she’s going to hurt herself if she keeps trying to climb that tree barefoot. The other one is a lot like you described but maybe not sporty? Maybe like [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]. So this might be something to consider
-[name_f]Mavis[/name_f] has never seemed old or stuffy to me :woman_shrugging:t3:.
-I don’t mind olive green but I hate olives as a food.
-I totally get that about [name_f]Ramona[/name_f]. That description is why I’ve never been able to get into [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
-I think [name_f]Yara[/name_f] Shahidi and I’ve never consumed a second of Game of Thrones material. I might have to crowdsource some more opinions about that one though

@IrinaNicolaStrong,
-LOVE that description for [name_u]Dove[/name_u]! And you’re making [name_u]Fifer[/name_u] look good…
-I think those names ([name_f]Eloise[/name_f], [name_f]Georgia[/name_f], [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_f]Mavis[/name_f], and [name_f]Olive[/name_f]) are on my “maybes” list because they’re old fashioned. I like a fair number of vintage names but struggle with how much I see myself actually using them. I like that description for them though!
-I love that about [name_f]Seville[/name_f]. It’s an exotic (for me) place name in Spain yet it’s also the name of a street in downtown Kansas City, where I lived for 9 years. It’s faraway but it also reminds me of home.
-I think if I do use classic names, they will have to have a little spice!

Points to:
[name_f]Bryony[/name_f]
[name_f]Nola[/name_f]
[name_u]Dove[/name_u]
[name_f]Seville[/name_f]

Points against:
[name_f]Boheme[/name_f]
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_u]Fifer[/name_u]
[name_f]Seville[/name_f]
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]

@MichelleM
-[name_f]Alaia[/name_f] would become [name_u]Allie[/name_u] over my dead body… I’m not a nicknamer though.
-Snobby is not one that I’d seen yet for [name_u]Darcy[/name_u]
-[name_f]Ellie[/name_f] is my little sister’s nickname so the possibility of [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] becoming [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] is a turnoff.
-Popularity is definitely a turnoff for me so [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] is looking less likely to remain on my list.
-I do think [name_f]Liv[/name_f] is short but as I said, I’m not a nicknamer. I feel like I’ll be the person who wants to call them what I put on the birth certificate. Maybe [name_f]Liv[/name_f] is too short for me
-Ya know, I don’t mind that [name_f]Thora[/name_f] sounds a little dark.

Points to:
[name_f]Thora[/name_f]

Points against:
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]

I’d keep

[name_f]Bryony[/name_f] - frilly but not fussy
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f] - charming and sweet
[name_u]Darcy[/name_u] - beautiful but rugged
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] -sleek and charming
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f] - a name with depth and intrigue
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] -charming and pretty
[name_f]Kaia[/name_f] -full of kick and spunk
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] -light and lovely
[name_f]Mavis[/name_f] - full of old fashioned charm
[name_u]Scout[/name_u] -quirky, sweet but rugged
[name_f]Thora[/name_f] -strong and pretty
[name_f]Willa[/name_f] -cheerful and free

Ones I’d lose
[name_f]Boheme[/name_f] - i find it a bit awkward
[name_f]Liv[/name_f] -the popularity of [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Liv[/name_f] puts me off
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f] - I’m not a big fan on the sounds
[name_f]Seville[/name_f] -reminds me of Snape and generallyjust doesnt appeal

1 Like

From your list I personally don’t like the following:
[name_f]Boheme[/name_f] - a bit too hippie for me
[name_u]Fable[/name_u] - more word than name to me
[name_u]Fifer[/name_u] - reminds me too much of [name_m]Pfeiffer[/name_m]’s disease.
[name_f]Olive[/name_f] - this name is just not my style and I don’t like olives so I don’t really like this name
[name_u]Scout[/name_u] - in general I don’t like word names that much and this one is no exception

I love these names:
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f] - melodic sound and sweet feel but still suitable for an adult as well
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] - lovely nature name
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] - this name is just so beautiful
[name_f]Liv[/name_f] - short and strong
[name_f]Yara[/name_f] - a wonderfull name

I don’t have strong opinions on the other names

1 Like

I´ll do it this way:

[name_f]Heaven[/name_f]:
[name_u]Fable[/name_u]- so soft and lovely, I prefer it as a middle bc it pairs well with lots of names, nn [name_f]Fay[/name_f] if used as a fn

[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]- Such a regal name and who doesn’t love the nn [name_u]Georgie[/name_u]?

[name_f]Ramona[/name_f]- So versatile and sweet. Nn [name_u]Remy[/name_u], [name_f]Mona[/name_f], [name_f]Minnie[/name_f], [name_u]Romy[/name_u] etc

[name_f]Mavis[/name_f]- This is just gorgeous, plus a vintage and nature vibes! NN [name_f]Mae[/name_f]/[name_f]May[/name_f] and [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]

[name_u]Scout[/name_u]- So spunky

[name_f]Olive[/name_f]- I can see this being a name of a free-spirited, smart girl and aging right along with her

Hell (please don’t hate me):

[name_f]Boheme[/name_f]- I don’t know how to pronounce this and I think it will get butchered, it looks overly trendy IMO

[name_f]Bryony[/name_f]- Again this looks really trendy plus the sounds are very sharp to me, [name_u]Briar[/name_u] is a better option

[name_f]Elowen[/name_f]- I think this could be cute with the nn [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] or [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] but I don’t like the name itself

[name_u]Fifer[/name_u]- It sounds too much like someone replaced the Ps in [name_u]Piper[/name_u] with Fs :sweat_smile:

[name_f]Lilla[/name_f]- I want to like this but it doesn’t sound enough like a name, I prefer [name_f]Lila[/name_f] or [name_f]Willa[/name_f]

[name_f]Thora[/name_f]- Too much w the [name_m]Thor[/name_m] connotation, but I think [name_f]Thea[/name_f] is a good alternative

[name_f]Reverie[/name_f]- I just don’t like this and I think it will be mispronounced

[name_u]Darcy[/name_u]- Not sure if this is ready for a comeback

The others are ones that I definitely think are usable and cute but just not my favorites!

1 Like

@Greyblue, [name_f]Thora[/name_f] and [name_f]Bryony[/name_f] are quickly emerging as ones I like.
I don’t like the popularity of [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] but I’ve actually never met one who goes by [name_f]Liv[/name_f].
[name_f]Boheme[/name_f] and [name_f]Seville[/name_f] are quickly becoming less appealing.

@Johannaa, as much as I like the name [name_f]Olive[/name_f], I don’t like olives (the food) either

@Babies123456, it made me happy to see [name_u]Fable[/name_u] in your “[name_f]Heaven[/name_f]” list because I think it’s one that’s come out of this stronger, which makes me think it could be one to last.
-See, I actually don’t like [name_u]Georgie[/name_u] much at all. Would that be inevitable for [name_f]Georgia[/name_f]? Because that would be a dealbreaker
-I also can’t get behind [name_f]Mavis[/name_f] nn [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]… [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] is longer than [name_f]Mavis[/name_f] written out! It bothers me. I have toyed with Maevis nn [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] but that has a different feel
-Trendy doesn’t bother me and I can’t use [name_u]Briar[/name_u] (although I like it)
-[name_f]My[/name_f] youngest sister is [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] “[name_f]Ellie[/name_f]” so if I used [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], I wouldn’t want a nickname. The potential for [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] is why [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] and [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] are maybes
-So um haha [name_f]Thora[/name_f] was actually inspired by [name_m]Thor[/name_m] (I saw it, was reminded of [name_m]Thor[/name_m], I really like [name_u]Chris[/name_u] Hemsworth, etc) so that’s actually a plus for me
-One thing I don’t want is for my names to sound dated. That’s a death sentence right there so I’m going to have to give [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] a second look

This is such a fun list!

I love:
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]–Somehow manages to sound gently old-fashioned but also fresh, energetic, and lively. [name_u]Love[/name_u] love love.
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f]–[name_f]Lovely[/name_f], fun to say, and so underused. [name_m]Just[/name_m] delightful.
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]–What’s not to love about [name_f]Georgia[/name_f]? Energetic, sweet, and smart.
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]–Another one of those names that strikes a perfect balance between old-fashioned and current. Sweet and soft yet strong.
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]–Completely adorable but not cutesy.
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]–Simple but has so much personality. I would love to meet a little girl with this name.

I like:
[name_f]Alaia[/name_f]
[name_f]Bryony[/name_f]
[name_f]Kaia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f]
[name_f]Liv[/name_f]
[name_f]Nola[/name_f]

Perfect in the middle:
[name_u]Dove[/name_u]
[name_u]Fable[/name_u]
[name_f]Reverie[/name_f]
[name_u]Scout[/name_u]

I think [name_f]Georgia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Gia[/name_f], [name_m]Geo[/name_m], or [name_f]Gigi[/name_f] could also work, but I think her name would definitely be shortened. I totally understand about [name_f]Mavis[/name_f] nn [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]. She doesn’t really need a nn but I think [name_f]May[/name_f]/[name_f]Mae[/name_f] are good ones if you decide to use them. Some alternatives to [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] ([name_f]Elowen[/name_f]) could be, [name_f]Winnie[/name_f], [name_f]Lola[/name_f], Wen/[name_u]Wynn[/name_u] and for [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]: [name_f]Lola[/name_f], [name_u]Isa[/name_u], [name_f]Evie[/name_f].

1 Like

Yes Votes

[name_u]Darcy[/name_u] - fresh, fun, and spunky, but I vastly prefer it on a boy, where it gains a softness, refinement, and wealth of literary cred.

[name_u]Dove[/name_u] - Swoonworthy as either a first or a middle! I love the soft, quiet O sound followed by the gentle purr of the V. For those who think [name_u]Dove[/name_u] isn’t a wearable option, I present [name_u]Dove[/name_u] [name_u]Cameron[/name_u] as Exhibit A :stuck_out_tongue:

[name_f]Elowen[/name_f] - Easily one of my favorites on this list. It’s full of liquid elven sounds and has that magic combination of being very uncommon, but sharing a lot of similarities with the names that are trending right now. It brings to mind lots of shady trees and green meadows.

[name_u]Fable[/name_u] - Another favorite. I find [name_u]Fable[/name_u] to be utterly, quintessentially magical. It’s evocative, mythic, easy to spell and pronounce, and works great for either gender.

[name_u]Fifer[/name_u] - I’m in the minority here, because I really like this name. It has a lot of merry, mischievous energy to it and makes me think of fauns dancing to drums and fairy flutes.

[name_f]Reverie[/name_f] - Another favorite. [name_f]Reverie[/name_f] nn [name_f]Evie[/name_f] has been on my list for years! I’m a huge fan of [name_u]Claude[/name_u] Debussy, an impressionist composer, and he has a gorgeous piano piece by this name that never fails to make me swoon.

Honorable mentions: [name_f]Boheme[/name_f] (I love it on paper), [name_u]Scout[/name_u] and [name_f]Olive[/name_f] (exactly what I envisioned from your description), [name_f]Thora[/name_f] (love the long O sound!), [name_f]Willa[/name_f] (soft and gentle, like [name_u]Willow[/name_u]), [name_f]Yara[/name_f] (she’s a bad@ss).

No Votes

[name_f]Alaia[/name_f] - Seems rather insubstantial and made up, like [name_f]Alaina[/name_f] without the N, or a smoosh between [name_u]Allie[/name_u] and [name_f]Kaia[/name_f].

[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] - Confusing. Does this rhyme with [name_f]Willa[/name_f] or [name_f]Lyla[/name_f]? Is it supposed to be a variant of [name_f]Lily[/name_f]? [name_f]Lillian[/name_f]?

[name_f]Liv[/name_f] - Too nicknamey to be a standalone name. Would be a cute nn for [name_f]Olive[/name_f] though.

[name_f]Lua[/name_f] - Seems like a typo of another name like [name_f]Luna[/name_f] or [name_u]Luca[/name_u].

[name_f]Nola[/name_f] - I will never not see the abbreviation for [name_u]New[/name_u] Orleans. Unless that’s the goal, I’d pass on this one.

[name_f]Ramona[/name_f] - [name_m]Quimby[/name_m], age 8.

[name_f]Seville[/name_f] - Of all the names on your list, this one is my least favorite by a good margin. Partly because my brain associates the look of it with things like evil, poisonous serpents, and Cruella DeVille, and partly because my inner autocomplete is like, “[name_f]Seville[/name_f], the [name_m]Barber[/name_m] of” immediately starts blasting Figaro at full volume

No votes based entirely on personal preference: [name_f]Bryony[/name_f] and [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] (my synesthesia brain hates these), [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] (love the look of it, hate the harsh EEZ sound at the end), [name_f]Kaia[/name_f], and [name_f]Mavis[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_f]Alaia[/name_f] - Pretty but I hear “A Liar”
[name_f]Boheme[/name_f] - Nope
[name_f]Bryony[/name_f] - LOVE IT
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f] - Pretty but means “blind”
[name_u]Darcy[/name_u] - I know 2 [name_u]Darcy[/name_u]’s, this would sound rather fresh
[name_u]Dove[/name_u] - Keep it in the middle
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] - Beautiful
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f] - OK
[name_u]Fable[/name_u] - Nope
[name_u]Fifer[/name_u] - Nope
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f] - Beautiful
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] - It’s OK
[name_f]Kaia[/name_f] - Beautiful
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f] - Pretty
[name_f]Liv[/name_f] - [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] is better
[name_f]Lua[/name_f] - IDK
[name_f]Mavis[/name_f] - IDK