Do you pronounce Elisabeth and Elizabeth the same way?

… And which do you prefer?
I can’t decide, so I thought I’d start by figuring out if the pronunciation is the same in English :slight_smile: (it’s the same in Danish, but I know you have a “z” sound we don’t have)

Question 2)
What would you name a sister to [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]/[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]? Does [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] or [name_f]Alice[/name_f] work? Other ideas?

If you hear the name in conversation, you’re not going to know how it’s spelled (at least not in a country where multiple spellings are acceptable), so I would say I pronounce them the same. It’s the name of a relative of mine and she spells her with a ‘Z’, but I still say it with a softer ‘S’ sound.

As for siblings, I think you could pair a lot of things with [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]/[name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f], but my favourite from your selection is [name_f]Alice[/name_f].

I pronounce [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] the same in English (UK). I love both variants and also [name_f]Elisabet[/name_f], [name_f]Elisabetta[/name_f] and [name_f]Eliza[/name_f].

I think [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] and [name_f]Alice[/name_f] are better than [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] as sisters to [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]/[name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] - [name_f]Minne[/name_f] feels a bit too informal. A longer full name with nickname [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] might be better: [name_f]Minette[/name_f], [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_f]Millicent[/name_f], [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] (my favourite!), etc. etc.

Thanks guys! Anyone else?

I pronounce them both the same. The [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] spelling is a family name for me so I prefer this spelling.

I think [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] ‘[name_f]Minnie[/name_f]’ would be a really cute sister to [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f].

1. I don’t pronounce them the same way. Similar, but [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] is softer, [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] snappier. I prefer [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f].

2. I like [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]. I’d name [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]'s sister [name_f]Felicity[/name_f], [name_f]Margery[/name_f] or [name_f]Caroline[/name_f].

I pronounce [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] the same. [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] and [name_f]Alice[/name_f] would make darling sisters for [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. I do like [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] with [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] if you plan to use a nickname. [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] and [name_f]Betsy[/name_f], [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] and [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f], [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] and [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] and [name_f]Betty[/name_f], etc would be really cute.

I pronounce them just slightly differently, it’s noticeable to me when I say it but probably not to someone else unless they’re listening quite closely. I prefer [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f], like a previous poster said, for it’s softer (barely) sound.

Thanks guys! I also slightly prefer [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

I really like the idea of [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] and [name_f]Betsy[/name_f] or [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] and [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]!

Yes, my family and I pronounce [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] the same way. [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] is a family name of mine and I love it. A few names that I like for a sister name for [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] is [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], [name_f]Kate[/name_f], [name_u]Blair[/name_u], [name_f]Georgia[/name_f], and [name_f]Giulia[/name_f] (pronounced like [name_f]Julia[/name_f]).

Yes I pronounce them the same

I would pronounce [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] as Elees-a-bett. Verses [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], which is [name_f]El[/name_f]-iz-a-beth.

I pronounce them the same (Australian). I sometimes make the ‘z’ sound a little softer when saying [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f], but it’s a very subtle softening and I don’t think it makes the name overall sounds any different.

I think [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] (this is my preferred spelling, and a family name) goes really well with [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]. With [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] I’d probably go for [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] or something a little shorter, but that doesn’t mean [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] wouldn’t be a really cute, distinct sibset. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I pronounce [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] ee-LISS-ah-beth and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] ee-[name_f]LIZZ[/name_f]-a-beth. I like them both equally.

I think that [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] would work as a sisters name, as well as [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]/[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] nn [name_f]Minnie[/name_f], [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Catherine[/name_f], [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f], [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f]/[name_f]Georgina[/name_f], and [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f].

I pronounce them the same way, and DEFINITELY prefer [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]!

I pronounce [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] as ‘el-IZ-a-beth’ and [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] as ‘el-ISS-a-beth’.

I think lots of things could work as a sibling to [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]/[name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f], including [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] and [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]. [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is one of the most versatile names out there - pretty much anything would sound great! I’d go for something royal - [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_f]Anne[/name_f], [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] etc

I would pronounce [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]/[name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] the same :slight_smile: My favourite out of your names was [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]!

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosemarie[/name_f] I think are really nice together too!

I pronounce them the same.

I definitely don’t pronounce them the same. [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] is Eh-LISS-ah-bett unlike Eh-[name_f]LIZ[/name_f]-ah-beth, much prefer [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f].

I pronounce them the same. [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] is definitely preferred spelling because I find it is very feminine and just looks softer with the “s”. [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] and [name_f]Alice[/name_f] make lovely sisters for an [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]. :slight_smile: