Do you think Moses is too religious?

Hello Berries! Today I am practically in love with the name [name_m]Moses[/name_m] and I asked for some opinions for the name on another site and they said it was, but I know Nameberry tends to be a little more open-minded when it comes to names. With that being said, I am in fact unaffiliated though my Mother is [name_u]Christian[/name_u] and my Father is Muslim I am aware who [name_m]Moses[/name_m] was in the Bible. What do you guys think? Is it too religious?

1 Like

It depends on what you mean by ‘too religious’. Too religious for a non-religious person to use? I don’t think so. But too religious as in that’s the first association? For me, yes, but I don’t think it’s a bad association by any means. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think [name_m]Moses[/name_m] (nicknamed [name_u]Mo[/name_u] maybe?) would be adorable on a little boy!

To me it’s in the same category as [name_u]Noah[/name_u], a Biblical name but not one that would make me assume the parents are ultra-religous. I am [name_u]Christian[/name_u].

1 Like

For me, the Biblical figure [name_m]Moses[/name_m] comes to mind immediately. I don’t think [name_m]Moses[/name_m] has been secularized to the same extent as other Biblical names like [name_m]David[/name_m] or [name_m]Joseph[/name_m]. It’s too religious for me personally, but for someone else’s child I think it’s perfectly fine.

1 Like

I do know the association, but I don’t think it makes the name unusable for someone non-religious. It depends on how much you’re comfortable with having that association.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] immediate reaction is the biblical figure, and I would likely assume that the parents are fairly (if not very) religious. If that is too religious by your standards, then yes, it is too religious.

That being said, it’s a great name and certainly not unusable, but you would likely get a lot of assumptions in regards to your religion.

2 Likes

[name_m]Moses[/name_m] is completely tied to the bible figure for me, but not to such an extent that I’d assume his parents are deeply religious. It’s a cool name and I think it’s still usable, even though there may be the occasional comment on the religious connection.

1 Like

totally agree with this take. to me, moses isn’t like noah, david, or joseph in that they just feel like popular names. moses to me feels intrinsically connected to the character from the bible, but like rorawhale said, it’s just a matter of how much it would bother you and what that limit is.

3 Likes

I don’t think Moses is too religious, I think it is really cute actually!

1 Like

As a Jew, [name_m]Moses[/name_m] is very much symbolic of our religion and culture. (Although most Jews I know who are named after “Moses” use the Hebrew version, [name_m]Moshe[/name_m] or the Yiddish version, Moishe.)

[name_m]Moss[/name_m] is the usual secular Jewish nn for [name_m]Moses[/name_m] (as in [name_m]Moss[/name_m] Hart), and I think [name_m]Moss[/name_m] as a nn is adorable.

1 Like

Completely agree! It’s not popular enough to have a life as a secular name (in the way that I wouldn’t assume anything about the religious beliefs of a Noah or Luke’s parents).

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] first thought when hearing [name_m]Moses[/name_m] is definitely religious. I wouldn’t automatically assume you were religious if you used the name [name_m]Moses[/name_m], but that is where my mind goes. It’s a cute name! You’ll have that religious association though.

1 Like

I also love [name_m]Moses[/name_m] but unfortunately, I think it’s too religious.

1 Like

[name_m]Moses[/name_m] does feel very biblical to me, but I don’t think that makes it unusable

1 Like

It’s about as religious as it gets. What depends is how you feel about that. If I met a [name_m]Moses[/name_m], I would assume the parents were devoutly religious. It wouldn’t bother me if they weren’t, but that would be my assumption.

2 Likes

[name_m]Moses[/name_m] immediately and strongly makes me think of the Biblical figure. I would assume that the parents of a [name_m]Moses[/name_m] are religious. Since [name_m]Moses[/name_m] is such a key figure, and since the name hasn’t crossed over to wide secular popularity (like [name_u]Daniel[/name_u] or [name_m]Joshua[/name_m], for example), it does feel strongly religious. I would find it slightly surprising for a non-religious person to use it, but it’s up to the individual what is “too religious” to use. It’s a nice name and namesake, but it does have connotations to be aware of.

3 Likes

I do think of [name_m]Moses[/name_m] from the Bible, however I’ve known a few boys IRL called [name_m]Moses[/name_m] so it seems totally wearable. I would probably assume the parents were religious, but wouldn’t be too surprised if they weren’t.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] first association is the biblical figure and then it’s the song [name_m]Moses[/name_m] Supposes from Singing in the [name_u]Rain[/name_u]. I would assume that the parents had some religious ideology, but as far as being “too religious” i would say as long as it doesn’t bother you then it’s fine

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] first thought is The parting of the [name_u]Red[/name_u] [name_u]Sea[/name_u], but I think a variation like [name_u]Mo[/name_u] is really cute

1 Like