Do you think politicians/activists names could influence people's baby naming style?

I was just wondering if the names of the famous who are not movies stars or singers would influence parents to give that name to their child especially if they were politically minded. In particular present day people in the news.

I didn’t think I was politically minded but when [name]Jacqueline[/name] [name]Kennedy[/name] was the ‘queen’ of the tabloids in the 70’s I thought that the name was so glamorous, stylish and gorgeous that I could not resist giving the name to my beautiful daughter. I recognise that singers and movie stars seem to have more influence today but I wanted to find out if a name associated with a political figure would encourage you to use the name for your baby.

The names that I have in mind (and you can probably think of lots more) are:

[name]Julian[/name] (Assange)
[name]Nelson[/name] ([name]Mandela[/name])
[name]Barak[/name] ([name]Obama[/name])
[name]Theresa[/name] (Mother)
[name]Winston[/name] ([name]Churchill[/name])
[name]Jack[/name] ([name]Kennedy[/name])
[name]Quentin[/name] ([name]Bryce[/name]) Australia’s woman [name]Governor[/name] [name]General[/name]

I am very interested to see your answers.

rollo

PS No political rants please

The example that comes to mind is [name]Adolf[/name] / [name]Adolphus[/name] - a perfectly normal, fairly classic name that has become almost unusable thanks to the namesake.

Names I can think of who were definitely popularised by popu culture or a famous person:
[name]Victoria[/name] (which was almost unheard of in English-speaking world before the [name]Queen[/name] (named after her [name]German[/name] mother and wasn’t expected to inherit the throne), and became an classic)
[name]Scarlett[/name] - “Gone With The Wind”
[name]Dustin[/name]
[name]Leonardo[/name]
[name]Florence[/name]
[name]River[/name]
[name]Ava[/name]
[name]Denzel[/name]
[name]Tallulah[/name]
[name]Maddox[/name]
[name]Dylan[/name]
[name]Marley[/name]
[name]Hayley[/name]
[name]Ingrid[/name]
[name]Lana[/name]
[name]Marilyn[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name]
[name]Franklin[/name]
[name]Jagger[/name]
[name]Oscar[/name]
[name]Lincoln[/name]
[name]Raegan[/name]
[name]Angelina[/name]
[name]Hillary[/name]

I think it’s a great idea. I know a lot of people seem to like [name]Eleanor[/name] because of [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Roosevelt[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name] of [name]Aquitaine[/name]. I think a lot of musicians/songwriters/etc. (not pop music, but composers, like Berlioz and [name]Mozart[/name] and [name]Bach[/name], etc.) make great namesakes. I have seriously considered [name]Amadeus[/name] in honor of [name]Mozart[/name], who has always been my favorite composer. He was spoiled and conceited, but he wrote beautiful music! I’ve also considered [name]Edvard[/name], for [name]Edvard[/name] Grieg (In the [name]Hall[/name] of the Mountain [name]King[/name]!).

I also love [name]Booker[/name] for [name]Booker[/name] T. [name]Washington[/name]. A lot of the people who spoke out for the rights of African Americans had a lot of intriguing, great names, and they’re people very worthy of being honored. [name]Frederick[/name] [name]Douglass[/name], W. E. B. DuBois, [name]Booker[/name] T. [name]Washington[/name], [name]Harriet[/name] Tubman (or [name]Moses[/name], even–I hope that doesn’t hold negative connotations–I always thought [name]Moses[/name] was very cool association for [name]Harriet[/name] Tubman!), [name]Mary[/name] [name]McLeod[/name] Bethune, etc.

And [name]Boone[/name] for [name]Daniel[/name] [name]Boone[/name], or [name]Lincoln[/name] for [name]Abraham[/name] [name]Lincoln[/name].

As for modern-day politicians, there’s not a lot that I personally find worthy of being honored, but I do know someone on here named her daughter [name]Palin[/name]. Not really after [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Palin[/name], they just thought they name sounded cute.

I definitely like the idea of naming my future children after politicians or activists who did a lot of good for our world, if there was someone who particularly inspired me. As sugarplumfairy mentioned, royal connections like with [name]Victoria[/name] may influence me. Though it wouldn’t be my only reason for considering [name]Elizabeth[/name], I like how it’s the name of two queens. And of course I would be influenced by literature… I love [name]Darcy[/name] for a boy, among many others.