Do you think your name helps or hinders you in life?

The only time it hindered me in primary school because there 5 others with the first name

[name_f]My[/name_f] has always felt like a help, as most people assume I am way older than I actually am and thorefore when I was an older teen and early twenties I was afforded several [job] opportunities I would not have had if seeing my name written down hadn’t had ingrained assumptions of how old/experienced I was. I look much younger than my actual age too, so it really helped to balance things out when I needed it most starting out in a predominantly male industry, and again when I switched career paths in my mid twenties.

No one else ever had my name either, so it was known but usually I was the only actual person most knew with it, which helped me remain memorable when I otherwise wouldn’t have been I’m very quiet and socially awkward, so I need some help :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Neither really? I mean, I’m guessing it makes it pretty obvious how old I am, but that can be both a help and a hindrance depending on the situation. It’s also fairly gender-neutral and not super tied to any ethnicity, so it’s probably harder for people to make assumptions based on it than it might be for other names. I guess that in itself might be helpful (?) but I don’t think it gives me any sort of major advantage.

There are quite a few more minor annoyance it causes (mostly having to do with how trendy it is), but they’re mostly subjective things that bother ME personally, and don’t actually affect my life much.

I don’t see that my name has impacted my life at all.

i don’t think it has either way, but i do agree with helen’s statement about being quiet, but no one else has your name! it’s definitely helped me in that aspect! :sunny:

My full first name has always felt like a hindrance, as it’s very obviously from a different language and no one seems to be able to pronounce it properly in English. It also has a very strong popular culture reference, so people always ask me about that.

I have also felt it as a burden because I am named after a relative who died as a baby. I totally understand the sentiment of why my parents made that choice, but it feels like there is a tinge of sadness over my name - and it doesn’t really feel like my name for that reason.

As an adult, I go by a shorter version of my name, which is a common name in English and makes things so much easier. The name does have 2 common spellings and pronunciations, though, which is a minor annoyance.

Hindered me, personally. It’s impossible for anyone who isn’t from my country to say correctly the first time they see it, and as someone who has lived abroad, it hasn’t been ideal :sweat_smile: I’m shy, so having to correct people constantly has been uncomfortable for me. That said, I’d probably still give my child a name that’s not the easiest to pronounce abroad if I really loved it, so it’s not like I found it to be a major hindrance – more of an annoyance.

[name_f]My[/name_f] real name is [name_f]Isis[/name_f], so you can make your assumptions from there, lol.

Honestly? It hasn’t affected me much in day-to-day life at all. Most of the time I get compliments on my name, other times people are a bit confused. A quick explanation usually does the trick.

A positive is that I’m usually the only [name_f]Isis[/name_f] around, it’s easy and fast to spell, looks cute in cursive, has a nice etymology and history, and I overall love it personally.

my name helps and hinders. I mean it’s extremely uncommon, and it is 90% of the time pronounced wrong, and paired with a 100% unpronounceable last name… :sweat_smile: not to mention spelling issues…

it does help in some ways though. I am guaranteed to be the only one with my name, however big the assembly. my name is foreign to my country, so it gives me even less chance of meeting someone with my name. :grin:

so I guess it’s both :woman_shrugging: :