Does Alexia seem like a "stripper" name?

It’s one of my top girls names, and used to be the number one, but lately I’ve been thinking that it might have a “cheap” quality to it?

I’m a fan of the [name]Alex[/name]- name family. Lately I’ve started to think [name]Alexia[/name] seems a bit…trashy, likely because [name]Alexis[/name] has become the quintessential party, promiscuous, sex-object name type for my generation.

I dunno. I still am fond of [name]Alexia[/name], but I feel that it might be hindering and not likely to be taken seriously like a [name]Charlotte[/name] would or even a [name]Melissa[/name]. That it’s a bit too risque?

No! i love that name it sounds beautiful. it is the perfect amount of risqué! keep it!!

I personally think it sounds cheap - and it’s also the name of a brain disorder - also known as Word Blindness, and no I’m not referring to dyslexia.

I like it, and while I was prepared to say I didn’t get the stripper feel at all (and I still don’t), but I do think it does have a cheaper feel than [name]Charlotte[/name] does, personally. :frowning: Sorry.

Yes, I think I’ve even heard it used as such.

I wouldn’t pick out [name]Alexia[/name] as a “stripper name,” but I think that i takes it a bit downmarket. [name]Alexa[/name] or [name]Alexandria[/name] are better, and [name]Alexandra[/name] better still.

Yeah, I’m aware. :stuck_out_tongue:
The way I see it, if [name]Alexia[/name] is good enough for Royalty, then it’s good enough for me. [name]Addison[/name] is rampantly used as well. [name]Alexis[/name] is a solid name on it’s own accord.
There are plenty of diseases and disorders that have names that are commonly used:
[name]Addison[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name]
Arthus ([name]Arthur[/name])
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Bernard[/name]
[name]Duncan[/name]
Edwards
[name]Hailey[/name]
[name]Leigh[/name]
[name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Riley[/name]
[name]William[/name]

The way I see it, a reading disorder isn’t enough for me to not use a legitimate name.

^^ I don’t like [name]Alexia[/name] OR [name]Addison[/name] for those reasons, I couldn’t give my child the name of a disease.

Understandable, but that would also rule out lovely classics like [name]William[/name], [name]Edward[/name], [name]Leigh[/name], and [name]Alexander[/name] itself.
And it’s not like the name is in existence because of the disease, it was around before the disease was named.

I wouldn’t care about the disease thing, either. And I don’t think it sounds like a stripper’s name, but I think very few names do. [name]Alexia[/name] is not my favourite name ever, but I find it a little bit tacky or dated, not trashy.

I think anything with “[name]Lexi[/name]” in it has a cheap stripperish vibe to me. I don’t mind [name]Alexia[/name] so much but its just the [name]Lexi[/name] part that really rubs me the wrong way. Maybe if you went by [name]Alex[/name] it would be better but I still think [name]Charlotte[/name], and [name]Melissa[/name] too for that matter, have a classier feel than any “[name]Lex[/name]” name ever will.

I don’t think it sounds like a stripper name buy I prefer [name]Alexa[/name].

Yep. It registers ‘tacky’ to me. I think [name]Alexandra[/name] or [name]Alexandria[/name] may be the only names in the family that didn’t suffer from the [name]Alexis[/name] overkill of the 80’s-90’s.

We’re in a very similar boat, you and I! I’m fairly certain I’m gonna name my next baby (2 1/2 months away) [name]Alexa[/name], but I worry about her not being taken seriously as an adult. So, this is my solution. On her birth certificate, her name will officially be either [name]Alexandria[/name] or [name]Alexandra[/name] (-ia ending has more favour to me atm), but I’m not telling anyone about it til everyone is used to calling her [name]Alexa[/name]. That way she’ll have the name I really want for her, but have the option of a more serious name later on in life.

The only [name]Alexis[/name] I knew was an awesome person, modest but in style and a fantastic personality. I don’t hear a negative sound in [name]Alexia[/name] at all. If you love it, use it.

It doesn’t sound stripperish to me but it isn’t very classy imo. I think [name]Alexandra[/name] nn [name]Alexia[/name] would be better :slight_smile:

I don’t think it sounds stripperish at all. I do prefer [name]Alexa[/name] or [name]Alexandra[/name], though. I don’t see why somone with any of the [name]Alex[/name] names would not be taken seriously. (I’m imagining looking at resumes, and if I saw one of these names on it, I woulld not think anything bad).

[name]Alexia[/name] / [name]Alexis[/name] sound juvenile while [name]Alexandra[/name] sounds sophisticated.

No.

I don’t like [name]Alexia[/name], but no name should ever be labelled as ‘stripper-ish’.

I don’t think [name]Alexia[/name] sounds stripperish at all, but I do like the idea of [name]Alexandria[/name]/[name]Alexandra[/name] nn [name]Alexia[/name] - it seems a little more “grown-up” :slight_smile: