Does Callan sound like an invented name?

I am not a huge fan of invented modern names, but my husband and I like the nickname [name]Cal[/name]. He has vetoed [name]Calvin[/name], [name]Caleb[/name], and [name]Callum[/name] as possible full names. We found [name]Callan[/name] in a baby name book as a variation of the Scottish [name]Caelan[/name], which means victorious. It’s also a river in [name]Ireland[/name], I believe. I’m just concerned that no one will have ever heard of it and think we made it up. Thoughts?

Personally I love [name]Callan[/name]! I have heard it before, but it was spelled Khalin. I love the [name]Callan[/name]/Callin spellings much better. I say use it–it’s unique, but not unheard of. Go for it! Good luck:)

It doesn’t sound invented and I really like it! It’s probably one of the most trendy names (with [name]Kellen[/name], also) I have on my list.

I began with [name]Callahan[/name] and it slowly evolved into [name]Callan[/name].

My Grandpa’s nickname was [name]Cal[/name] and I love it!! [name]Callan[/name] sounds like a strong, classic name.

I love it! It sounds fresh and original, but not strange or made-up. It has such a nice Scottish/Irish vibe. I also love the nn [name]Cal[/name] and think this is a great way to get to it!

It’s not invented at all! My flriend has a little lad called [name]Kalan[/name] which is the Irish spelling of the Scottish [name]Callan[/name]. If you love it, do it!

I have a male cousin with this middle name spelled calen

I worked with someone named [name]Calan[/name] at one point. He also went by [name]Cal[/name]. I really like the name and nickname. I have seen [name]Calan[/name] on some name lists before, it’s just not very popular (Which is good!).

I actually know somebody named [name]Callan[/name]! However, she’s a girl. I think it would work splendidly as a boy’s name, though! It’s a fresh take on the plethora of Irish/Scottish names out there.

[name]Callan[/name] doesn’t sound invented to me. I quite like it actually. It’s different enough not to sound trendy and I love the nickname [name]Cal[/name]! Super cute. Here are a few other ways to get [name]Cal[/name], some are a bit out there- though I do really like [name]Callan[/name]:

[name]Callahan[/name]
[name]Calder[/name]
[name]Calix[/name]
Macalister
[name]Pascal[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] that helps!

Thanks for your help everyone! My husband will be glad to know that he’s right and it doesn’t sound like a made-up name!

Not really. I wasn’t familiar with it, but I could tell it had the look of an established name.

([name]Every[/name] time I read the title, I read it as “Does [name]Callan[/name] sound like an inverted name?” and wonder why anyone would think that.)

It actually reminded me of [name]Callaghan[/name]. I like [name]Callan[/name] a lot better than [name]Callum[/name], that’s for dang sure!

I know a [name]Callen[/name], and I think it’s a wonderful name!
But beware- it’s unusual, so some people might mispronounce it on first glance… ‘[name]Callen[/name]’ was called up during a ceremony as ‘[name]Colleen[/name].’ He said it happens all the time. [name]Just[/name] something to keep in mind!

Over here in [name]OZ[/name] there was a [name]Callan[/name] [name]Park[/name] Mental Institution other than that I have never heard of it.

I think it does sound invented. My friends have a [name]Cal[/name] that stands alone (siblings are [name]Evie[/name], [name]Mary[/name] and [name]Len[/name]).