Does it make you sad when ....

someone close to you uses a name you [name]LOVE[/name], therefore, making the name unusable ? :frowning:

I just found out my cousin is naming her baby [name]Emmy[/name] [name]Grey[/name] – which, I swear, is a combo I have LOVED, just full name [name]Emery[/name] nn [name]Emme[/name], for soo long. I very well know that I have zero claim over it, and [name]Grey[/name] is a mutual family name … therefore, I would never say anything, but I am still bummed. I am secretly hoping that she changes her mind, as she was initially going with something else … how terrible is that?

Anyone else have this happen ?!

I don’t blame you! I have felt this way, but mostly I am just glad my naming style is totally different than my sister’s and in-laws!

I would seriously be depressed if someone in my family used one of “my” names. I mean, unless you and your cousin are super close I think you could still have a child named [name]Emery[/name] if she has an [name]Emmy[/name] (but maybe with a different middle?). I mean, I have cousins [name]Alexander[/name] and [name]Alexandra[/name] (who both go by [name]Alex[/name], to make matters worse) on the same side of the family and it’s never really been an issue (interestingly, they’re born the same year… I wonder if that was awkward at the time…). I’ve been thinking about this a lot because my oldest cousin and his wife just announced they’re having a baby and this will be the first of my cousins to have a kid and I’m terrified that one of the family names I love will get used or another name on my list will be stolen!! I know I have no claim to any names but it would just suck. I’m kind of hoping they use something popular or relatively classic and stay away from the unusual gems I love, lol!

My cousin chose [name]Seth[/name] for a boy, which I love, so it got delegated to mn status which is good by me.

She just named her baby girl [name]Hattie[/name] [name]Isabella[/name] [name]Jean[/name], which I neither love nor hate, I think [name]Hattie[/name] [name]Jean[/name] is cooler, but that’s just me.

My other cousin has three girls-

[name]Ella[/name]
[name]Maddy[/name]
[name]Selah[/name]

too bad Diella and Sia are on my list, oh well, she won’t mind, we’ve talked about it, both those names are lower on my list.

I may marry before my cousin [name]Hala[/name], but [name]Linda[/name] is the one to watch out for. She just married my cousin [name]Wesley[/name] and we are very similar. [name]Both[/name] art students who love theatre and literature; oh please don’t take [name]Evangeline[/name] away from me! They aren’t expecting yet, and even if they do choose a name I have had on my list longer than they’ve known each other I will still use it, we’re a big family!

I get sad when celeb’s pick names I love- [name]Levi[/name] as my prime example; all I can think about is [name]Michael[/name]'s son

I felt this way when i found out that my cousin and her husband are using the name [name]Miles[/name] for their baby (due in october) I love this name (spelled [name]Myles[/name]) and had planned on using it for a little boy (if i ever have one). I feel bad now because i had secretly been hoping that they would have a girl, but now i realize that a name is just a name and that as long as their baby turns out ok (he’s unfortunately got some heart issues) that’s all that matters. I can always choose a different name if i ever have a son.