Does Lucas work with our last name?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all! My husband and I are expecting our first in [name_u]August[/name_u], and we’ll (hopefully) be finding out the gender in three short days, at which time we’ll really be able to narrow down our name search… but in the meantime, we recently discussed the name [name_m]Lucas[/name_m], and discovered that we both really like it (which doesn’t happen too often with us). I know that there could be unfortunate nicknames with [name_m]Lucas[/name_m]/[name_m]Luke[/name_m], such as Mucous ([name_m]Lucas[/name_m]) or Puke ([name_m]Luke[/name_m]), so my question is whether or not you think our last name might make that more likely or too unfortunate? Our last name is Grossman.

Our other “maybes” at this time are [name_m]Adam[/name_m], [name_m]Samuel[/name_m], or perhaps [name_m]Calvin[/name_m]… if we didn’t go with [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] as the first name, it would definitely be the middle name, to honor my late father in law.

Mmm that’s tricky, I don’t think I would do it. I really like [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] Grossman though :slight_smile: Goodluck.

[name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_m]Adam[/name_m] Grossman or [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] Grossman!

I think [name_m]Luke[/name_m] and [name_m]Lucas[/name_m] are fine, even with Grossman. Kids will find ways to tease no matter what. [name_m]Lucas[/name_m] and [name_m]Luke[/name_m] are solid names. I also really like [name_m]Samuel[/name_m].

I’m not sure… normally I’d say that [name_m]Lucas[/name_m] or [name_m]Luke[/name_m] would be very unlikely to get teased in that way, but I do think your surname makes it a tiny bit more likely. I still don’t think it’s a deal-breaker through. [name_m]Lucas[/name_m] [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] sounds nice, if a little s-heavy.

I like your other options, too. I think my favourite on pure quirk and unexpectedness would be [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] - very cool! :cool:

I think it’s fine. I love [name_m]Adam[/name_m], do that would be my pick.

I don’t think it’s a deal breaker. I agree that kids will make up a way to tease if so inclined anyway, and usually aren’t even that clever. Personally I like [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] and [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] the best!

I’m not a fan of [name_m]Lucas[/name_m] [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] Grossman, only because it seems very hissy and S-heavy. [name_m]Luke[/name_m] [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] Grossman is better, but I would be more wary of “Puke Grossman.” (For the record, I don’t think kids focus as much on name teasing as they once did - really, I’ve seen more of it in high school students, and that is the age I would be worried about.)

I probably wouldn’t put [name_m]Adam[/name_m] or [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] in the first name spot, or use them together (either as [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_m]Adam[/name_m] Grossman or [name_m]Adam[/name_m] [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] Grossman) because I feel like they repeat a lot of the sounds in Grossman and sound very repetitive and, again, a little hissy. Also, the initials for [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_m]Adam[/name_m] Grossman are SAG, and it comes very close to the beer name.

I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] Grossman - and I cannot think of one negative nickname for [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] Grossman, and I think it flows really well.

Another vote for [name_m]Calvin[/name_m]! It’s one of my favorite names!! And [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] is incredibly handsome.

To be frank, I think your surname will encourage teasing regardless of the first name. If you both love it, I would use it. Why use a name that you think will minimize teasing at the expense of eliminating the name you love?

Well, we found out at my ultrasound this morning that it’s definitely a BOY! So the name game has begun in earnest. [name_m]Lucas[/name_m] isn’t necessarily a name that we both [name_u]LOVE[/name_u], more just a name that we realized that we both like, and are considering it as an option. The name teasing thing isn’t necessarily a deal breaker for me, just another thing to consider while choosing a name. I agree with a lot of you that I think [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] is the best of the group, and I think it’s the front runner for me… DH is trying to decide how much he likes it, so I guess we’ll see on that one. :slight_smile: His hangup is that everyone would just associate it with [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] & [name_m]Hobbes[/name_m] and ask him where his pet tiger is. We both actually love that comic, and I would totally buy my kid a stuffed tiger, so I think it’s totally fine!