Does Rafe compare?

Thinking I found my mothership in Nameberry - being that my boys are [name]Theo[/name] and [name]Max[/name] and I daydream of adding little [name]Gus[/name], [name]Ike[/name], [name]Caspar[/name] or [name]Felix[/name] to the mix.

One other name we adore, and I’m rather surprised that it isn’t listed on the top 100 searched boys names - or mentioned much at all anywhere on the site is [name]Rafe[/name]. What gives? Is it not in the same realm as the others I list?

WDYT of [name]Rafe[/name]?

[name]Rafe[/name] is usually short for [name]Raphael[/name], not a name in its own right.

I dont like [name]Rafe[/name], it sounds too much like rape or raft to me. I suppose it would make an okay nn for [name]Raphael[/name] though, like the previous poster said. I love your boys names!

My son’s name is [name]Raphael[/name], and our other son is [name]Jasper[/name] (similar to your [name]Caspar[/name]). We call him [name]Raffy[/name], partly because he is a baby, so needs a sweet name, and partly because I personally am not so fond of [name]Rafe[/name].

To me, [name]Rafe[/name] does seem to fit with the other names that you like, especially [name]Ike[/name].

I like [name]Rafe[/name]! I think it sounds like a dashing character from a romance novel. I also like it as a nickname to [name]Raphael[/name].

[name]Hi[/name],
I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Rafe[/name]! I don’t think it’s short for [name]Raphael[/name]… I think it’s a different spelling of [name]Ralph[/name] (which is pronounced [name]Rafe[/name] in some cultures). We didn’t use it because, exhausted and hormonal, I thought it looked like “rape”, but now I just think I was being an idiot! I would definitely have it on my top ten list again for future babies.

I love [name]Theo[/name] and [name]Max[/name]. I also [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Gus[/name]! However, I do not like [name]Rafe[/name] at all. Sorry, its way too close to rape for me and makes me very uncomfortable to hear said outloud. [name]Rafe[/name], like a previous poster said, also reminds me of raft and raff (like riff-raff). I do not mind the name [name]Raphael[/name], but the nn [name]Rafe[/name] bothers me. [name]Love[/name] your other boys’ names!

I’ve seen [name]Rafe[/name] as a nickname for [name]Raphael[/name]. And yes, the old pronunciation of [name]Ralph[/name] is rayf. I have seen variant spellings (in fiction, but I assume they’re real) of Raef and Rayf that ensure that pronunciation.