Does spelling change the gender?

Hello! I’m expanding my baby name list and I really like [name_u]Rylan[/name_u], but for a girl. Does spelling it [name_f]Rilynn[/name_f] make it more feminine? How else could it be spelt to make it a “girls” name?

Personally I don’t believe spelling really does change the name. I know that some girls names have more y’s or other changed letters to make it more feminine but overall I don’t think it changes much. If you like [name_u]Rylan[/name_u] for a girl just use the name you love.:wink:

5 Likes

Rylan sounds and looks unisex to me. I don’t think you need to change the spelling in order to make it appropriate for a girl.

6 Likes

Rylan reads as unisex. I’d say [name_f]Rilynn[/name_f] like rill-en not ry-len.

4 Likes

[name_u]Rylan[/name_u] looks cleaner for either gender!

2 Likes

To be honest [name_f]Rilynn[/name_f] seems just odd to me, rather than feminine. I’d stick with [name_u]Rylan[/name_u] which is usable on a girl too.

3 Likes

Honestly, I don’t believe that changing the spelling to [name_f]Rilynn[/name_f] is the best option. It may look more feminine, but at the same time, the name loses its elegance. [name_f]Rilynn[/name_f] will probably be mispronounced and mispelled sometimes.

1 Like

Hi there.

I’m not a huge fan of unisex names, but I think if you’re going to do it, stick w/the original spelling. It just makes things easier. [name_f]Rilynn[/name_f] just seems like trying too hard, you know?

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Rilynn just looks a bit over complicated. [name_u]Rylan[/name_u] feels unisex to me

2 Likes

In some cases, I think different spellings make me think of it as a certain gender, but I don’t think it’s always necessary. [name_u]Rylan[/name_u] is fine as it is, no need for the extra feminization of [name_f]Rilynn[/name_f] (unless you’d looking for feminization of [name_u]Rylan[/name_u]). While I do think of [name_u]Rylan[/name_u] as a boy’s name, I can see it being unisex and wouldn’t be too surprised to meet a girl named [name_u]Rylan[/name_u].

Also, I agree with PPs that [name_f]Rilynn[/name_f] does look a little complicated. You could always do Rylyn or Rylin if you really want to set it apart from the usually-used-for-boys [name_u]Rylan[/name_u].

1 Like

Personally I think this works much better for a girl than [name_u]Ryan[/name_u]. To me [name_u]Ryan[/name_u] the meaning and sound is purely male. But the L in [name_u]Rylan[/name_u] makes it softer and Island [name_f]Meadow[/name_f] seems like a very unisex meaning to me. I don’t think you need to change it at all.

1 Like