Does Tess Elizabeth seem like a duplication of the same name? Some people think Tess is a nickname for Elizabeth

• Yes, Tess Elizabeth sounds ridiculous (like Betsy Elizabeth, Liz Elizabeth, or Beth Elizabeth)
  • No, Tess Elizabeth sounds fine. No one actually thinks Tess is a nickname for Elizabeth
  • Not really sure…somewhere on the border

0 voters

[name_f]Tess[/name_f] is technically a nickname for [name_f]Teresa[/name_f]. I’ve seen it listed as a nickname for [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], but it seems like a huge stretch, IMO.

7 Likes

I think of [name_f]Tess[/name_f] as a nickname for Theresa/Teresa. I guess it makes sense for [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] but it’s definitely not my first thought at all

4 Likes

This kind of falls under the same category as the name [name_u]Kit[/name_u] [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] for me. I view [name_u]Kit[/name_u] as a nickname for [name_f]Clementine[/name_f], but it’s not technically from [name_f]Clementine[/name_f], nor do most people connect the names that way. I think it’s the same with [name_f]Tess[/name_f] and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. I see [name_f]Tess[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], but so few people do and it’s not actually from [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], so I think most people wouldn’t notice/think anything of it for it to really be a problem.

3 Likes

[name_f]Tess[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is gorgeous

1 Like

I’m on the fence only because I think of the very similar [name_f]Bess[/name_f] as an intuitive nickname for [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and do think that [name_f]Tess[/name_f] is a workable nickname for [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] that I’ve considered using. But I think [name_f]Tess[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] does work, is pretty, and likely wouldn’t cause that issue with most people! If you love it, go for it :slight_smile:

1 Like

[name_f]Tess[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] doesn’t seem natural to me. [name_f]Tess[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is a wonderful choice!

1 Like

I know I already mentioned this on your other thread, but just wanted to voice my support for [name_f]Tess[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] here too! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I honestly think it’s a non-issue–so few people will recognize [name_f]Tess[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] that the odds of your daughter encountering one who also happens to know her middle name feel very slim. [name_m]Even[/name_m] as a professed (obsessed) name lover, this one doesn’t bother me!

2 Likes

I don’t see the connection from [name_f]Tess[/name_f] to [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. Unless you’re thinking [name_f]Bess[/name_f], but switch the T for a B? I’m not sure. [name_f]Remember[/name_f], nameberry members think way more about names than the general public, so if 11% of berries make the connection, I would guess that that’s actually closer to 1% of the public would think [name_f]Tess[/name_f] is too close to [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. If you were talking about [name_f]Elle[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] or [name_f]Betsy[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] etc. I would think it was too close. But I really don’t see how [name_f]Tess[/name_f] could be a nn for [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. I know 2 Tess’s, both of them just have [name_f]Tess[/name_f] as their first name, not short for anything.

I think [name_f]Tess[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is a beautiful name that you should use if you love!

2 Likes

Nope! [name_f]Tess[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] sounds great. [name_f]My[/name_f] only concern would be that it sounds almost exactly the same as [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] [name_f]Lizbeth[/name_f] when said quickly. If you don’t plan to use the full name in daily life, I have a feeling there’d be 0 problems. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if you do though, it’s not really a problem because that would be easy to correct. It’s just something I’d think about if you really hate being called the wrong name.

1 Like

I know a [name_f]Tess[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]!

1 Like

How in the world could [name_f]Tess[/name_f] be an [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] nickname? Somebody please explain to me.

1 Like

I knew a [name_f]Tess[/name_f] and it was short for [name_f]Theresa[/name_f]. Never heard it for [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and I wouldn’t think twice if I saw the combination.

1 Like

I have considered both the combo [name_f]Tess[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and using [name_f]Tess[/name_f] as a nn for [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Tess[/name_f] as a nn is a stretch, so the combo seems lovely to me!

[name_f]Tess[/name_f] is a nn for [name_f]Teresa[/name_f], not [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f].

1 Like