Does this honor name work?

I would like to use honor names with as many of my children as possible. Does the name [name_f]Fern[/name_f] work to honor my grandfather, [name_u]Vernon[/name_u] ([name_u]Vern[/name_u])? Traditionally we use the first initial to honor a relative but I don’t like any V names.

I think it works.

Nova or [name_f]Noor[/name_f] could be other options based on the letters

2 Likes

Personally, I think the intent to honor is the most important part. It’s a bit of a stretch for me but if [name_f]Fern[/name_f] reminds you of [name_u]Vernon[/name_u], then I think the honor is successful.

3 Likes

I know you said you don’t like V names but have you thought of [name_f]Vera[/name_f]?

Yeah I’ve never been fond of [name_f]Vera[/name_f] :confused: if I had to use a V name it would probably be [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f].

2 Likes

Yes, I think it works.

1 Like

Fern is lovely and definitely works! Personally, I think any name works as an honor name if you’re naming the child in honor of someone (or multiple someones.) For example you could say that the meaning of [name_u]Vernon[/name_u] makes you think of [name_m]Alder[/name_m] as a name and that would still work as an honor name, or even if you kept going on that track until the name you ended up with sounded nothing like [name_u]Vernon[/name_u]. I think it’s the emotional connection to the one(s) you wish to honor that matters!

1 Like

Fern works but I also love [name_f]Vera[/name_f]! Or even [name_f]Veronica[/name_f]?

2 Likes

I think it works.

1 Like

It definitely works!

1 Like

I think it depends! If the person you want to honor was known primarily by his full first name, I think it’s a stretch. But if he was frequently called [name_u]Vern[/name_u], I think [name_f]Fern[/name_f] works beautifully.

1 Like

He goes by [name_u]Vern[/name_u] 99% of the time!

1 Like

Generally I like keeping honor names as authentic as possible, but that’s just personal preference. If your tradition is keeping the first letter, then I’d try for that, I suppose. But if it’s just a loosely held to idea than [name_f]Fern[/name_f] is lovely, and is certainly close to [name_u]Vern[/name_u].
Might I suggest:
[name_f]Verona[/name_f], nn [name_f]Rona[/name_f]?
[name_f]Verbena[/name_f], nn [name_u]Bean[/name_u] maybe
[name_f]Virginia[/name_f], nn [name_f]Gia[/name_f]?
[name_f]Vita[/name_f]

It really depends who you ask. It’s encouraging to hear from so many open minded people on this forum but I’d suggest thinking about how important it is for other people to see the name as an honour to your grandfather and how well it sits with you if they don’t see it as one. [name_m]How[/name_m] important is it that your grandfather sees [name_f]Fern[/name_f] as a reference to him, or the views of other family members, or indeed your would-be daughter. I would also consider how it compares to the other honour names you’d like to use for siblings, if they carry similar significance.

It can be really hard to weigh up competing desires. The desire to use a particular style, the desire to use names you love, the desire to honour loved ones, the desire for meaning, compatibility, fairness, flow and so on. But it sounds to me that you’ll be able to strike the right balance when the time comes.

2 Likes

I agree with @SparkleNinja18

1 Like

Yes. The only requirement for honor names is that it is meaningful to you and the person being honored. It doesn’t matter if no one else gets it.
That said I love [name_f]Fern[/name_f] and I feel that the connection between [name_f]Fern[/name_f] and [name_u]Vern[/name_u] is clear.

Think it’s good have you considered [name_f]Verity[/name_f] it’s Latin and means truth. [name_u]Love[/name_u] that

I think [name_f]Fern[/name_f] definitely works!

Fern works well!