Dominic

Talk to me about [name_m]Dominic[/name_m].
Pros/cons of the name.

Thanks

1 Like

Dominicā€¦

Pros:

• classic
  • universal internationally used
  • sounds strong
  • ageless works for people of all ages which is a great quality to have
  • Love the meaning ā€˜belonging to the lordā€™

Cons:

• Iā€™m not a massive fan of the nickname [name_m]Dom[/name_m] or [name_u]Nick[/name_u] both of them feel inevitable
  • Itā€™s a nice name but it lacks that sparkle for me I just think there are better classics out there I prefer [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m], [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] too [name_m]Dominic[/name_m]

Overall I think [name_m]Dominic[/name_m] is a good choice, great meaning and internationally used easy to translate. I honestly donā€™t think you can go wrong with [name_m]Dominic[/name_m] but itā€™s not a favourite.

1 Like

Thank you for your thoughtful analysis. All your points echo exactly how I feel about it! Although my partner really likes it. Funnily enough he is a D@niel also.

1 Like

I love this name, so I might be biased, but here we go!

Pros

• classic
  • no problems with spelling
  • never out of style
  • good meaning

Cons

• nn potential isnā€™t great
  • not very unique
  • isnā€™t a ā€˜Wow [name_m]Factor[/name_m]ā€™ name for me

I love the name [name_m]Dominic[/name_m], though Iā€™m not ever going to use it.
xx - [name_f]Aleksandra[/name_f] ā€œ[name_f]Aleksa[/name_f]ā€ Y.

1 Like

@anon25197097 glad I could help all I can say is great minds think alike I definitely prefer [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] to [name_m]Dominic[/name_m] predominantly because I really like the nickname [name_u]Danny[/name_u]!

1 Like

Dominic is classic but underused. I quite like it

1 Like

Thatā€™s what my partner gets a lot of the time :slightly_smiling_face:

Pros:
ā€¢Variety of nicknames: [name_m]Dom[/name_m], [name_u]Domino[/name_u], [name_u]Nick[/name_u], [name_u]Nicky[/name_u], [name_u]Nico[/name_u]
ā€¢great meaning- ā€œbelonging to the [name_m]Lord[/name_m]ā€
ā€¢great history- Latin, saint name
ā€¢fast and furious character (if you like that movie)
ā€¢masculine and mature-sounding

Possible Cons
ā€¢#85 on U.S. list (depending on your feelings about popular names)
ā€¢Sounds like the country, the Dominican Republic, which isnā€™t a necessarily a bad thing, it could just be an association for some people
ā€¢the first syllable ā€œdomā€ isnā€™t a pleasant sound for me. It sort of reminds me of the word ā€œdumbā€

1 Like

Alas, as a teacher, Iā€™ve taught quite a few Dominics and I could not abide any of them. All quite dominating, pushy males, so much so that I now associate the nn [name_m]Dom[/name_m] with domination.

But that is probably just my bad luck and I am sure there are scads of very nice Dominics out there too (just not near me so far!).

I do like beyond the [name_m]Dom[/name_m] nn which I dislike, there is [name_u]Nic[/name_u] or [name_u]Nick[/name_u] or [name_u]Nico[/name_u] as nns. Of course if I wanted a [name_u]Nick[/name_u], Iā€™d name him [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] or [name_m]Nikostratos[/name_m] or [name_m]Nickleby[/name_m], all of which I love.

I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything wrong with the name for others, but I do associate it with arrogance personally.

2 Likes

I adore [name_m]Dominic[/name_m]! Itā€™s on my list. I think itā€™s full of personality and charm, and I like that it suits both a baby and an adult.

1 Like

I like [name_m]Dominic[/name_m]! Itā€™s handsome, classic, versatile, good nicknames, sturdy and everymannish but also a little pizzazz.

1 Like

I love [name_m]Dominic[/name_m]! Itā€™s such a cool and underused classic. The only con for me is that Iā€™m not in love with the potential nicknames, but I wouldnā€™t say I dislike them, and they certainly donā€™t take the name off the table for me.

1 Like

I think itā€™s fantastic and way underused. I guess it was a lot more popular 30-40 years ago? Funny storyā€¦ I know half-brothers both named D0minic. The second wife must have liked the name so much that she was willing to be that awkward!

1 Like

My mom loves this and was trying to convince me to use it. [name_f]My[/name_f] problem with [name_m]Dominic[/name_m] is that I cant picture it for a baby or child. It seems like an adult name to me. I actually donā€™t mind the nicknames [name_m]Dom[/name_m] or [name_u]Nick[/name_u] - although [name_u]Nick[/name_u] seems too popular. It didnā€™t feel right for me personally but theres nothing wrong with the name.

1 Like

I love it. An under-used classic for me. [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_u]Nic[/name_u], [name_u]Nicky[/name_u] and [name_u]Nico[/name_u] as nicknames.

1 Like

I see no significant cons with [name_m]Dominic[/name_m]. An underused classic, traditionally given to babies born on [name_f]Sunday[/name_f], multiple nickname options, works well with a longer surname.

3 Likes

I really like [name_m]Dominic[/name_m]. Itā€™s a strong, timeless, international name imo. I would use [name_u]Nico[/name_u] as a nickname.

2 Likes

I like it!

1 Like

I think [name_m]Dominic[/name_m] is very handsome and timeless- the only cons I can think of are connotations and sound alike for the word.

1 Like

I like [name_m]Dominic[/name_m]. Itā€™s classic and masculine, without sounding overly common/popular. [name_m]Damian[/name_m] has a similar vibe.

Iā€™m not really keen on the nickname [name_m]Dom[/name_m] (it has some awkward connotations :grimacing:) but itā€™s not a huge issue for me.

1 Like