Don, Yes or No?

Oh and my grandfather in law’s only name is [name_m]Donald[/name_m]. He came from a very big family and they only gave their kid’s first names. I hate to sound picky but I feel like if I’m going to honor him I want to do it in a way that’s obvious and not use a name that has the same meaning. If I wasn’t honoring him I would love to use [name_m]Henry[/name_m]. I think it’s a lovely name, but [name_m]Don[/name_m] has done so much for us. Growing up I had terrible male figures and he has been an angel… An absolute answered prayer. Because of that I wouldn’t want to use his name in the middle spot either. It just feels like a disservice especially putting first the name of someone I’ve never met. I may have to rethink or brainstorm some ideas but probably going to just take my chances and go for it. 10 years from now [name_m]Donald[/name_m] Trump will be the past but [name_m]Don[/name_m] will always be a hero to us.

3 Likes

I understand where you’re coming from, and using [name_m]Don[/name_m] would be a great way to honor him. I also understand not using the full name when honoring a [name_m]Donald[/name_m]. Good luck in deciding, but I do think [name_m]Donald[/name_m] [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] would be great.

[name_f]My[/name_f] Papa was named Dønąłd, and while I have it as a definite honor name on my list, I have been taking the time to find nicknames that will give him separation from the negativity of those around him. I also don’t believe another Døn- name or name of the same meaning would honor him as I want, but Døn (his nickname) or a international variation/translation (such as Køną) would work.

Excellent point by the way… one bad apple in the bunch should not be able to ruin the name’s image for everyone, especially. in the long run.

1 Like

What a lovely way to phrase it! I think you know in your heart [name_m]Don[/name_m] is the right name for your family. Sometimes hearing different opinions reveals how strongly we feel about something instead of changing our mind, which is just as valuable.

And FWIW I know a youngish [name_m]Don[/name_m] (full name [name_m]Donald[/name_m], though he NEVER uses it) and it doesn’t seem weird.

1 Like

I think with the meaning for you it’s ok. Hopefully Trump will end up being an unfortunate blip in history, quickly forgotten. In the country where I live, the lingering association with the name Don is a now dead ex-cricketer (basically a national demi-God, considered the greatest athlete who ever lived Don Bradman - Wikipedia).