Don, Yes or No?

So after 3 years of trying I am finally pregnant with baby #3. Most likely my last… REALLY hoping for a girl this time since I have two boys but I’m not counting on it. :sweat_smile:
DH granddad’s name is [name_m]Don[/name_m] and he is an amazing man. I really think I want to name the baby after him if it is a boy. I’m not a fan of any long version of the name, his name is [name_m]Donald[/name_m], and I’ve looked at every other option. [name_m]Just[/name_m] love [name_m]Don[/name_m]… which is what they call him.
His wife’s father’s name was [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] and the family talks about him like he was a super hero. They’ve mentioned before in previous pregnancies how much they would love for us to use his name but I don’t like the name [name_m]John[/name_m] at all. So I’m thinking [name_m]Don[/name_m] [name_m]Calvin[/name_m].
Thoughts on the combo??

This is a name Americans today would either love or hate, I think.

I understand wanting to honor this extraordinary family member, but it’s hard to imagine a newborn named [name_m]Don[/name_m] these days.

What about Donnelley or something like that and those who wanted to could call him [name_m]Don[/name_m]? I love names that offer multiple nn choices. Like [name_m]Donovan[/name_m] or [name_m]Dante[/name_m] or Donalbain or something like that?

Good luck!

My second association is Trump, but my first one is [name_m]Don[/name_m] from The Newsroom (who’s totally awesome).

I say, go for it if you want.

I would go for it.

I second the suggestion of [name_m]Donovan[/name_m] as a longer form but if you just love [name_m]Don[/name_m] I say go for it! :blush: [name_m]Don[/name_m] [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] sounds nice.

Congratulations and good luck!

1 Like

Congratulations!

I’m sorry to say it but I really struggle to see Don on a child. I’m also just not a fan of the name; it feels very dated to me and the association to Donald Trump is, to me at least, extremely negative. But obviously if you love it, go for it!

Other ideas: What’s Don’s middle name? And also, if you don’t like John, how about Jack to honour John Calvin? Calvin is quite cool though; Calvin as a first name with Don’s middle name (or even Calvin Donald) would be a better option to me.

Or you could even use a name that means ‘ruler’ like Donald does: Konrad, Enzo, Henry, Roark, Hendrix, Rory, Harry, Duke… I think Henry Calvin or Rory Calvin would be awesome!

1 Like

A variation of [name_m]Don[/name_m] in [name_f]English[/name_f] and Scottish and the translation of it in Hawaiian is [name_f]Kona[/name_f]. [name_f]Kona[/name_f] may be a nn you can use while he is a child. Then, when he’s older, he could go by [name_m]Don[/name_m].

I like the previous suggestions of [name_m]Donovan[/name_m]!

Are you in US? While the Trump association may be polarizing in US-probably less of an issue elsewhere.

I think [name_m]Don[/name_m] [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] flows nice enough and is a solid combo.

I do like previous suggestions of possibly [name_m]Donovan[/name_m] with nn [name_m]Don[/name_m] as an alternative.

Good luck

I think it would work, especially as it is so meaningful in your family, and I can imagine him being called [name_m]Donnie[/name_m] as a child. I like the suggestion of [name_u]Donnelly[/name_u] too.

I highly suggest [name_m]Don[/name_m], rather than [name_m]Donald[/name_m]. [name_m]Don[/name_m] [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] is very handsome! Ohhh I also love [name_m]Donovan[/name_m]! But perhaps your grandfather-in-law’s middle name is usable to honor him?

Donal or [name_u]Donnelly[/name_u] would work better.

Congratulations!
I think [name_m]Don[/name_m] is a great name with special significance for you. I can totally see a baby, or young kid being [name_m]Don[/name_m]. An obvious nickname is [name_m]Donnie[/name_m] as another person suggested which is really cute.

For me there’s no real association between the name [name_m]Don[/name_m] and Trump. That’s like saying the name [name_m]Joe[/name_m] is too closely associated with Biden. Where I live in the US no one would be bothered by a child being named [name_m]Don[/name_m].

I think [name_m]Don[/name_m] [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] is a great strong name combination. I do think it sounds nostalgic but in a good way.

2 Likes

I really love the significance [name_m]Don[/name_m] holds for you. And I really like [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] as they middle name ! It flows together so well!

I am Canadian and my first thought of [name_m]Don[/name_m] was [name_m]Donald[/name_m] Trump but seems as you aren’t using [name_m]Donald[/name_m] I would say go for it .

For me especially this year [name_m]Donald[/name_m]’s and [name_f]Karen[/name_f]’s are pretty off limits

2 Likes

I love the significance of [name_m]Don[/name_m] but for me as a [name_u]Brit[/name_u] I thought [name_m]Donald[/name_m] Trump or the mafia as in the head of the mafia being the ‘don’ both not great associations :woman_facepalming:t3:

Could you switch the name up maybe [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_m]Don[/name_m]? Then you would still be honouring [name_m]Don[/name_m] but you wouldn’t have the awkwardness of [name_m]Don[/name_m]. I also like the suggestion of [name_m]Donovan[/name_m].

Good luck

I know you said you don’t like any full versions, but [name_m]Donovan[/name_m] is kinda like a mix between [name_m]Don[/name_m] and [name_m]Calvin[/name_m]. Maybe that could be an option? If not, [name_m]Don[/name_m] [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] is fine.

1 Like

I actually think [name_m]Don[/name_m] is quite handsome! It has the laid-back retro feel of old-school nicknames like [name_u]Gus[/name_u] and [name_u]Gene[/name_u] and [name_u]Ray[/name_u], which all feel pretty ahead-of-the-curve cool right now.

Donald makes me think of Trump and the duck, but neither of them is ever called [name_m]Don[/name_m] so it isn’t a particularly strong association for me.

Don [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] is a nice combo, and sounds perfect for you :+1:

Good luck!

1 Like

Don [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] is really cool

1 Like

Thank you all so much for your advice and opinions! I honestly had not considered anyone relating [name_m]Don[/name_m] to [name_m]Donald[/name_m] Trump because I’ve never known him to be called that. I definitely wouldn’t use the name [name_m]Donald[/name_m]. I just don’t care for it aside from the obvious. I have been looking for months for longer versions of [name_m]Don[/name_m] and haven’t loved anything. I’m somewhat coming around to [name_m]Donovan[/name_m] but I don’t think it works well with [name_m]Calvin[/name_m]. The only other middle name I would want to use is [name_u]Ray[/name_u]. It’s my husbands late father’s name and its very special to him. The only issue is the new show [name_m]Donovan[/name_m] [name_u]Ray[/name_u]. The character isn’t a good one lol. I just loved the way [name_m]Don[/name_m] [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] sounds like [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] and I love the old school masculine feel of [name_m]Don[/name_m]. I feel like [name_m]Don[/name_m] [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] sounds like a timeless business man like [name_m]Don[/name_m] [name_m]Draper[/name_m] lol. I have always loved traditional but not popular names so this one felt right. Alot to think about! Thank you all! :heart:

3 Likes

Definitely! [name_m]Don[/name_m] [name_m]Draper[/name_m] is a handsome image for the name for sure.

I think mid-century names are the next cutting edge of cool, so you’ll be right there with this one :sunglasses: :wink:

1 Like