Donna?

I’m a huge Full House fan (partially why I LOVE [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] so much!) and a few family members have jokingly suggested [name_f]Donna[/name_f] and [name_f]Michelle[/name_f] for me (as a cute idea because the names do sound nice together - my mom and SIL both said it’d be adorable). So, I’ve been thinking about the name [name_f]Donna[/name_f] (DJ [name_u]Tanner[/name_u]'s actual name) lately.

Another bonus for [name_f]Donna[/name_f] - it’s a character in another show I love, That 70s Show. Both characters are pretty cool, I looked up to both for different reasons growing up.

What are your thoughts on the name [name_f]Donna[/name_f]? Is it too old to work with my other faves ([name_f]Stephanie[/name_f], [name_f]Bethany[/name_f], [name_f]Gemma[/name_f], [name_f]Christina[/name_f], [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f], [name_f]Joanna[/name_f], [name_u]Kelly[/name_u], [name_f]Robyn[/name_f], [name_f]Erin[/name_f], [name_u]Louise[/name_u] & [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f])?

Thank you! :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

I’ve never watched Full House, but I definitely associate it with That '70s Show, as well as the Mamma [name_f]Mia[/name_f]! musicals.

I think it’s a little outdated, tbh. But it’s a nice name, and I do like it. It fits in really well with the other names on your list for sure. Overall, [name_f]Donna[/name_f] is very retro in a pretty, likeable way, I think. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it’s too outdated to be usable. Maybe [name_f]Dina[/name_f] or [name_f]Deborah[/name_f] could work? I love [name_f]Joanna[/name_f] from your list.

1 Like

How about [name_f]Madonna[/name_f], nickname [name_f]Mae[/name_f]?

1 Like

I find it extremely dated TBH. I just can’t imagine it on a baby nowadays… Sorry. I love [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] from your list BTW, it’s a great name!

1 Like

Your fondness of the name is influenced by positive associations, and both characters (especially [name_f]Donna[/name_f] from that 70’s) are great, but some like myself see this name simply as the female form of [name_m]Don[/name_m] or [name_m]Donald[/name_m], which to my ears is extremely unappealing. even if you support the president with said name, he is controversial enough to stir up those negative emotions in others.

1 Like

Just adding that I’m not sure if my association is a stretch or not, just offering some insight into how others may perceive the name.

1 Like

I find it extremely dated like other posters have said.
I like [name_f]Erin[/name_f] and [name_f]Robyn[/name_f] from your list.

1 Like

It is very dated but i think that gives it a bit of charm. Im kind of liking it and i think it fits with your list

1 Like

Thank you all so much! I did wonder if it was a bit too dated, and I hadn’t thought of the [name_m]Don[/name_m]/Donald thing. I do love the 90s pop culture connections, but they may not be quite enough for me to use the name. Unfortunately as beautiful as [name_f]Madonna[/name_f] is, it’s just not me :thinking:

I do love [name_f]Donna[/name_f] [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] as a combo though!

I don’t know how other people feel about this, but I can appreciate a lot of 80s/90s “dated” names like [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f], [name_f]Christina[/name_f] and [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] since those of the names of my peers. Whereas 50s/60s names for me are a bit too associated with my parents’ generation. I’d say [name_f]Donna[/name_f] falls into the latter category. It’s just a bit too out of style for me.

1 Like

Watching Mamma [name_f]Mia[/name_f] 2 completely changed my perception of this name. I now associate it with the carefree, vivacious character [name_f]Donna[/name_f] [name_u]Sheridan[/name_u] played by [name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_u]James[/name_u] (and [name_f]Meryl[/name_f] Streep), now I think it’s beautiful!

1 Like

I actually quite like it! It’s definitely dated, but on the right person it could be great.
Also, I barely recognized you with your new profile! I was like “Is this @leafsgirl44? The style seems like her” :joy:

1 Like

It feels dated to me, but I’m not sure that’s a good reason not to use it. A lot of people find my daughter’s name ([name_f]Gloria[/name_f]) dated when they think about it in the abstract, but when they encounter the name attached to an actual person their reactions are often very different. I also think [name_f]Donna[/name_f] fits the other names on your list really well.

1 Like

It’s very hard for me to picture it on a little girl, but I’m sure I’d still be delighted to meet one! Could be a refreshing choice.

Also, I didn’t recognize you at first bc of your new profile pic!

I wasn’t too keen but now I’ve thought about it, I really like [name_f]Donna[/name_f]! I think it’s cute and definitely fits with your other names. It is an older name but I think it sounds fresh nowadays!

1 Like

Way too dated for me. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom also had a friend named [name_f]Donna[/name_f] when I was growing up who once hit my sister so I hated the name for good after that. So not entirely objective. If I liked [name_f]Donna[/name_f] and wanted a DJ vibe, I’d go with [name_f]Deanna[/name_f] or [name_f]Diana[/name_f]. Could even make her middle name [name_f]Joy[/name_f].

I really like [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] in your list. If I remember correctly, [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] had a friend named [name_f]Gia[/name_f]. I’ve always loved that name. I’d go with that if you want to give a nod to Full House.

1 Like

[name_f]Donna[/name_f] is too dated imho.
As a learner of Italian, all I think of when I see the word donna is “woman.”
If you really want to include [name_f]Donna[/name_f], how about [name_f]Belladonna[/name_f]? Definitely an extra name that I wouldn’t use, but I think it’s a bit better than [name_f]Donna[/name_f].

1 Like

I wouldn’t use [name_f]Donna[/name_f] personally, it is too dated for me, but it completely goes with the other names on your list, and if you love it, go for it!
[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite [name_f]Donna[/name_f] association is [name_f]Donna[/name_f] [name_u]Noble[/name_u] from [name_u]Doctor[/name_u] Who, but I’m a big Full House fan too :blush:

1 Like

Thanks everyone, I think I might leave [name_f]Donna[/name_f] as a guilty pleasure!