Donnelly?

Thoughts? Donnelly appeals to me we already have a Donna in the family but I can get the same feel with a very different sounding nickname I equally love, Nelly. It does feel long for my taste, but idk I do like it.

ETA: Suggestions for a 3-4 letter middle name to put here:

Donnelly ____ Renée S*****

Greatly appreciated.

Donly also comes from the same root, in case you were looking for something shorter :blush:

Thank you for the suggestion, I just feel like it looks a bit weird that short. I keep wanting to type Donelly but that sounds entirely different and realistically, [name_u]Donnelly[/name_u] is only 8 letters, that’s not bad it just looks long because of the multiple double letters I think.

I really like it - it has that surname as a first name cool and comes with a sweet, intuitive nickname.

I like it, it has a fun & sweet sound! The nickname [name_u]Donnie[/name_u] or [name_f]Dolly[/name_f] make it feel spunky and retro, while [name_f]Nell[/name_f], [name_u]Nelly[/name_u], or [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] make it feel sweeter. It gives you a lot of options!

I like [name_u]Donnelly[/name_u] nn [name_f]Dolly[/name_f] or [name_f]Nell[/name_f]!

1 Like

I like that it’s an honour name and a way to get to [name_u]Nelly[/name_u], but I just don’t like the name - there are other last names I like but not this one, the “Donnell” part isn’t appealing to me. But take or leave, just how I hear the name. I would use [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] or Leonore/Lenora to get to Nelly/Nellie.

I just don’t love any of those. [name_f]Lenore[/name_f] is okay but then I think of [name_m]Edgar[/name_m] [name_m]Allan[/name_m] [name_u]Poe[/name_u] and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] idk I like the name just don’t love how it looks, [name_f]Elinor[/name_f] looks more “correct” to me but I don’t want to give unpopular spelling. And idk [name_u]Donnelly[/name_u] has a playful quality I like while still sounding normal

I think [name_u]Donnelly[/name_u] is delightful—especially for a girl! That’s a playful, pretty name. [name_f]Dolly[/name_f] and [name_f]Nell[/name_f] would be my nickname choices; I love mismatched surname-and-vintage picks between full name and nickname. :white_heart:

1 Like

Does it work with [name_u]Arthur[/name_u]? All the names ive considered are more vintage traditional so it’s hard for me to tell if [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] & [name_u]Donnelly[/name_u] seem totally mismatched or not.

I think they’re gorgeous together! [name_u]Donnelly[/name_u] is certainly less traditional than [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] (whose sister I might expect to be an [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], or [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] stylistically), but I don’t think that makes them any less lovely together. Especially with [name_u]Nelly[/name_u] or something so vintage and sweet as a nickname. They’re fun together!

3 Likes

Good points here that I agree with (the positive points). I think [name_u]Donnelly[/name_u] and [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] are catchy! And [name_u]Nelly[/name_u] and [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] are extra congruent.

[name_u]Donnelly[/name_u] ____ [name_f]Renee[/name_f] S.
[name_f]Tamsin[/name_f], [name_f]Etta[/name_f], [name_f]Katrin[/name_f], [name_u]Drew[/name_u], [name_f]Gemma[/name_f], [name_u]Bell[/name_u], [name_f]Vita[/name_f], [name_f]Portia[/name_f], [name_u]Dana[/name_u], [name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_u]Clove[/name_u], [name_u]Ivah[/name_u], [name_u]Sloane[/name_u], [name_f]Dot[/name_f], [name_u]Noa[/name_u], [name_u]Briar[/name_u], [name_f]Rita[/name_f], [name_f]Lilac[/name_f], [name_f]Ouida[/name_f], [name_f]Maude[/name_f], [name_u]Julep[/name_u], [name_f]Bee[/name_f], [name_u]Noor[/name_u], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_u]Essa[/name_u], [name_u]Zoe[/name_u], [name_u]Chase[/name_u], Wind, [name_f]Bloom[/name_f], [name_u]Jett[/name_u]

I like it. I think people hearing it will think it is [name_f]Donna[/name_f] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] though.

[name_u]Donnelly[/name_u] is charming and sort of edgy. I quite like it