Dot/Dottie

Hello! I came across the name [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] in a names I love but won’t be using, videos. And I fell in love with it, especially with the nn [name_f]Dot[/name_f]. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] be a stand alone name like; [name_f]Emmy[/name_f] or [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], as long as it’s paired with a traditional mn; [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]? [name_u]Or[/name_u] would it be a better nn for [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] or [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f]? TIA!

I like it better as a nickname but it’s a personal preference thing. I absolutely love [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] though

1 Like

I think it’s usable for sure, but personally I much prefer it as a nickname. [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] is gorgeous but [name_f]Peridot[/name_f] or [name_f]Bardot[/name_f] could also be fun options!

@leafsgirl44 has had [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] on her list as a standalone, I think?

3 Likes

I think it could stand alone, but I definitely prefer it as a nickname. [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]/Dorothea nn [name_f]Dot[/name_f]/Dottie is super cute!

1 Like

It could definitely work by itself, but I prefer it as a nn for [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f].

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] as a stand-alone name with nn [name_f]Dot[/name_f]! I also live [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] and [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] with nns [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] and [name_f]Dot[/name_f]. [name_m]Can[/name_m]’t go wrong here

1 Like

Yes! I’m all for just naming children what you’ll call them. I like [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] over [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] anyways. On the contrary, nicknames for longer names can be super sweet, so really just preference.

1 Like

I definitely prefer it as a nn for [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]/Dorothea. [name_f]Dottie[/name_f]/Dot is super cute for a little kid, but not so much for when they’re adults.

1 Like

I think it can stand alone! It’s one of my favorites. I like [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] but can’t use it because of a bad family association. [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] is lovely and elegant. [name_f]Theodora[/name_f] would also work! Another berry suggested [name_f]Peridot[/name_f] to me as well.

2 Likes

While I’d personally prefer [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] or [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] and [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] as a nickname, I do think it’s capable of standing up on it’s own.
I used to find [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] too cutesy for a formal name, but there’s a cashier at the grocery store I frequent named [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] whose in her 60s and it really suits her. That changed my perspective a bit.

2 Likes

I just posted about [name_f]Dodie[/name_f], another nickname for [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]! I think [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] is fine on its own but I do worry about it being too cutesy. For some reason that long O in [name_f]Dodie[/name_f] feels more mature than the short O sound in [name_f]Dottie[/name_f], to me anyway.

I’d thoroughly enjoy meeting a [name_f]Dottie[/name_f], whether you decide to use it as a stand alone or nickname. [name_f]Honesty[/name_f], if you love it, that’s what’s most important!

1 Like

I would personally use a formal name, but I still think it could work on its own. Definitely agree with using a longer, less cutesy mn – [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] sounds perfect! ([name_f]Dottie[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] or [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] [name_f]Belle[/name_f] or something might be a little much, for example.)

I do love [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f], and I think that if you did decide to keep [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] as a nn, that would be perfect. (If I didn’t love [name_f]Dolly[/name_f] so much atm, [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] would definitely be my go-to nn for [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] because I think it’s just darling!) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dottie is so lively, sweet, and charming! [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] and [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] are beautiful and I’m also drawn to the previous suggestion of [name_f]Peridot[/name_f] (although the ending doesn’t sound like [name_f]Dot[/name_f], I think it still works!). That said, I love nickname-names and I do think [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] can stand on its own. I’d be so happy to meet a [name_f]Dottie[/name_f]!

1 Like

Yes I have!! It’s still one of those names i love for someone else too! :stuck_out_tongue: I prefer it to its longer forms to be honest, and I think [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is gorgeous, personally!

1 Like

I think it works as a stand alone, and it’s lovely :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a friend with twins named [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] and [name_f]Dot[/name_f] and the are soooo much fun ! Spunky little girls! I love it on them !

3 Likes

I think [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] could stand alone but i prefer it as a nickname for [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]

2 Likes

I think [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] can stand alone with all the Freddies, Alfies, [name_m]Nicos[/name_m], Maggies… I personally prefer longer names with cute, cozy nicknames like [name_f]Dottie[/name_f]. [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f]/Dorothy would be my choice.

Dottie [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is cozy and charming!

1 Like

I think it would be better as a NN. :slight_smile:

Dorothy, [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f], and [name_f]Theodora[/name_f], maybe?

I personally prefer [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] as a nickname, but it can totally stand alone like the rest of the nickname names! If you like [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] more than [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] or [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f], go for it on it’s own! [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is delightfully classic and wonderful!

2 Likes