Dreamer

I met a girl named Dreamer the other day. I had two conflicting thoughts: “That’s cool and creative without being kre8tive” and “What a weird hippie name.” But alongside names like [name_f]Reverie[/name_f], it didn’t seem quite so weird. (And it sounded prettier than something like [name_f]Precious[/name_f], which I also saw recently.) WDYT?

I quite like it, but then I also like [name_f]Reverie[/name_f]. It’s kind of cool actually, this may be a new crush.

I like it for a horse, not an actual child.

Eh, it’s definitely not my thing. [name_f]Reverie[/name_f] is nice enough although it reminds me more of the [name_m]French[/name_m] word rêver than it’s English meaning.

I can’t really get on board with many ultra-hippy names though… they always seem like they’re trying too hard to pull off the whole boho thing, when in reality I get stronger bohemian imagery from more subtle names like… [name_f]Verona[/name_f], [name_f]Hebe[/name_f], [name_u]Seren[/name_u].

I don’t know about other countries, but we use the term “she’s such a dreamer!” either referring to someone who is a real daydreamer, or someone who has unrealistic ideas they could never pull off. Completely rules it out for me, it would be like calling someone Crazy or Wafty (but who knows, maybe some would use those too!)

I definitely agree with this. I also love [name_f]Verona[/name_f] and [name_u]Seren[/name_u] :wink: I think my ultra-hippy GP is probably [name_f]Blossom[/name_f] though.

Ugh. Parents were trying to be sensitive and passionate and special, but they just come across as flaky. I feel bad for the kid.

I wouldn’t choose Dreamer myself, but I like these types of “hippy-dippy” names far more than regular sounding names…so, overall, I do think it’s a great fresh sounding name. :slight_smile:

I really like it. Although I do find it a touch unsubstantial in a way (this is based more on societal expectations than my own ideas), I do enjoy the imagery and connotations I get upon hearing/seeing it. I imagine a happy, wise, confident and friendly little free-spirit with the name of Dreamer…I don’t feel like there’s anything negative in such a name myself. I do understand that some might lean towards dreamer in the sense of being ‘naive’ or the like, but to me being ‘off with the fairies’ or ‘forever hopeful regardless of circumstance’ is far from negative.

I love many names in this kind of style (I’m a huge [name_f]Reverie[/name_f] fan myself) but I do fear using them due to a lot of people’s tendencies to see/believe them to be weak or trying to hard and how that might affect a child/adult with the name. It’s very unfortunate.

Yep!

I used to work with a woman named Dreama, which is at least somewhat more name-like (to me).

Now I don’t feel so crazy for liking it initially :slight_smile:
But in reality, it would probably be a better name for a pet - I must keep this in mind for my next cat!

Is that because of the movie? That’s immediately what I thought of, too.