Dumb Question about Everett

Is it 2 syllables or 3? Ev-rett OR Ev-er-ett? Thanks!

I think this is a really good question! I also think it varies by person, so it will be interesting to see what everyone says. I tend to condense it to Ev-rett.

I say it as Ev-er-ett

Personal choice. If you choose a name like this, just know that you’ll get a mix of pronunciations, regardless of how you personally prefer it to be pronounced. As for me, if I were reading it out loud my first instinct would be to pronounce all 3 syllables.

[name]Clover[/name], that’s a really good point about getting a mix of pronunciations from people. I would like to avoid that phenomenon for my son, because it happens to me constantly and I know it’s annoying (my FN is [name]Halley[/name], pronounced like [name]Halle[/name] [name]Berry[/name], but I am forever being called [name]Haley[/name] and [name]Holly[/name]).

When I read [name]Everett[/name], I do think 3 syllables. However, I think it doesn’t really roll off the tongue very well as 3 syllables, so in speaking it, I prefer to say it the 2-syllable way – it just seems cleaner to me.

This issue might allow [name]Emmett[/name] to win out over [name]Everett[/name]…I do love them both.

I was thinking the same thing as clover. That even if you have a preference, the difference is so slight that I don’t think others would pay much attention and they’d say it how they wanted. I also agree that in my head when I read it, it’s three syllables but I tend to say it in two. Especially in a hurry. I don’t think the difference is nearly as great as with your name [name]Halley[/name] though, if it were my son, I don’t think I’d mind hearing either pronunciation, I quite like both. But I also love [name]Emmett[/name] and like you said, no question there how it should be pronounced.

lol, that’s not a dumb question at all! I was actually just thinking about that. I say it EV-rett, but there’s a bit of an “ah” in the middle, like 2 and a half syllables? I don’t like Ev-er-ett, though, because it always sounds like I’m saying “over it”, like I’m so over it, and I’m not, because I adore [name]Everett[/name]. haha.

I’m glad you guys don’t think it was a dumb question :slight_smile: Thanks for the input berries!