Early leave from work for depression/anxiety?

I have struggled with anxiety and bouts of depression since my teenage years. I stopped medication while TTC and did pretty well. I started a new job this year that has triggered it big time. Panic attacks, bawling my eyes out from fear of going in the next day, chest pain, working myself like crazy trying to do a good job and only feeling more exhausted and anxious.
I have been in therapy for a little while now and just today my OB recommended that we try Zoloft. I’m just not comfortable taking it while pregnant. I’m 32 weeks. Is it ridiculous to try to get the doctor to give me early leave through medical leave or disability? I just feel like I don’t want to do the medication but I also need to be healthy for my baby.

Edit: My thought is that once I give birth, I can start the medication to better deal with work.

1 Like

If you are only able to take 12 weeks off, then I would suggest trying to hold out as long as possible before you go on leave. Because after the baby is born you are going to potentially be dealing with postpartum issues as well as your anxiety.

I actually only get 6 weeks off. :frowning: I’m wondering though if this would not count as maternity leave but instead a medical leave… something of that sort. I should have clarified in my post but my thought is that after I give birth I can start the medication to better deal with my job.

I am sorry you are going through this. I would definitely discuss medical leave/disability with your doctor–it would be great if you could take early leave and somehow get government assistance. I actually left work at 35 weeks for this same reason.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] lovely,
Have you tried taking magnesium and zinc daily? It will help settle the hormones that trigger anxious feelings.
I’m so sorry you are dealing with this. Anxiety attacks are just the worst.
Hugs xx

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you have an employee handbook or something that might explain your company’s leave policies? It sounds like you are not covered by FMLA if you only have 6 weeks off? :frowning: Did you talk to your doctor about the risks of taking zoloft while pregnant? Sometimes it’s hard to tell from just reading something online and the doctor might be able to point you to specific studies and explain his/her opinion of the risks.

1 Like

Maybe this is something you could ask an HR person about at work? I think there’s a lot of variation in company policies on pregnancy leave since there’s no fed law in the US :frowning: Did you talk to your doctor about the risks of taking zoloft while pregnant? Sometimes it’s hard to tell from just reading something online and the doctor might be able to point you to specific studies and explain his/her opinion of the risks.

I went off my medication with my first baby and had a really hard time, both during pregnancy and after he was born. With my second, my OB/GYN actually recommended I start taking something again since I was struggling so much. There are safe options, I’m not sure what the risks are with Zoloft, but I found them quite knowledgeable about possible options. I also called Mother Risk at Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto and was able to speak to someone who could tell me what the risk was during pregnancy and for breast feeding with each medication, which really put me at ease.

I would definitely speak to your doctor about your medical leave options and maybe to someone at your work about reducing your days or workload or taking leave early. I left at 35 weeks but things are a bit different in [name_f]Canada[/name_f]. I will say though that I think your mental health is extremely important to both you and your baby and you shouldn’t continue to suffer or feel you should have to handle this and put yourself through so much anxiety and upset. This is such a hard time emotionally as it is. So explore your options, ask lots of questions, and do what is best for you. Best wishes!

I’m not due until [name_f]May[/name_f], but trust me I know how you feel as lately my anxiety has been through the roof and at times I struggle to cope with it. I’ve been seeing a therapist, which helps, because when I have anxiety I tend to do the whole skin picking deal and that is no fun. I would suggest the same as some others and speak with your HR and be as honest as your possibly can. I know already it will be a struggle for me to try and make it as long as possible with work, but thankfully I’m due at the beginning of [name_f]May[/name_f], I’m a school teacher, so I will have the entire summer to not worry about work. I wish you the best of luck and if you ever need anything feel free to DM me! You’re definitely not alone and I hope things get better for you!

I had the same problem with high anxiety and my pregnancy just made things worse. You see, I felt like I can’t concentrate on anything and thought that if my co-workers noticed that they would be angry. The thing that I’m pregnant doesn’t mean they have to do my part of the job. So I was trying really hard to be concentrated. I left notes all over my desk to remind myself what I have to do today, used my working calendar, etc. But nothing helped. And I also was afraid to take any medication because it may not end well for my baby. Then my friend told me about the maeng da green herb tea to calm my nerves. And it worked! I felt much better!