Ebony & Beya

My husband and I are nearing the final stage in our adoption of beautiful twin girls from Ethiopia. Since it was a very long process, we’ve had plenty of time to argue over first names, and have finally settled on [name]Ebony[/name] and Beya. For the middles, I’d like to honor my grandmother, [name]Lillian[/name] [name]Wilhelmine[/name] Oliversen (Oliversen being her maiden name). We’re not sure what we like best, but here are the options:

[name]Ebony[/name] [name]Lillian[/name]
[name]Ebony[/name] [name]Wilhelmine[/name]
[name]Ebony[/name] Oliversen
[name]Ebony[/name] [name]Annabelle[/name] (DH’s grandmother)

with

Beya [name]Lillian[/name]
Beya [name]Wilhelmine[/name]
Beya Oliversen

We don’t like [name]Annabelle[/name] with Beya, but otherwise, we’re unsure of which combo to choose. Any suggestions? Last name is [name]Brookes[/name].

Also, do you think Oliversen is too masculine, even for the middle?

Thanks so much!
[name]Ngozi[/name]

Omg! Beya is one of my all time favorite names! I’ve never heard anyone else use it before! It’s so pretty and soft! Definitely Beya [name]Wilhelmine[/name]!

Congratulations! [name]Ebony[/name] and [name]Baya[/name] are beautiful names, and they sound lovely with [name]Brookes[/name].

[name]Ebony[/name] [name]Lillian[/name] - very pretty, with a nice flow.
[name]Ebony[/name] [name]Wilhelmine[/name] - [name]Wilhelmine[/name] generally gives problems with flow, but it is a great name, so don’t rule it out purely on that basis. Relatively, it goes quite well with [name]Ebony[/name], too.
[name]Ebony[/name] Oliversen - something about the flow of this just seems a little off. With regards to Oliversen being too masculine, I’d say that while I hate very masculine names on girls, for a mn it is fine. Lots of people use maiden names as mns, and it really is the place to do anything like that which you wouldn’t do for a first name.
[name]Ebony[/name] [name]Annabelle[/name] - I think this flows brilliantly, and they are both such beautiful names!

Beya [name]Lillian[/name] - lovely.
Beya [name]Wilhelmine[/name] - I prefer [name]Ebony[/name] [name]Wilhelmine[/name].
Beya Oliversen - the flow of this is very difficult, because of the two vowel sounds next to each other.

I think it would be lovely to name them [name]Ebony[/name] [name]Annabelle[/name] and Beya [name]Lillian[/name], to honour both you and your husband’s grandmothers.

Good luck!

I say go with [name]Ebony[/name] [name]Annabelle[/name] ( though I’d like [name]Annabella[/name] even better with [name]Ebony[/name]) [name]Brookes[/name] and Beya [name]Lillian[/name] [name]Brookes[/name]. They’re both beautiful!
Congrats on the Girls! Good [name]Luck[/name]!

Wow! Congratulations to you! :slight_smile:

[name]Ebony[/name] [name]Lillian[/name]: I think this is pretty…
[name]Ebony[/name] [name]Wilhelmine[/name]: This, too…
[name]Ebony[/name] Oliversen: I prefer the flow of the previous two combos, but that’s just me. :slight_smile:
[name]Ebony[/name] [name]Annabelle[/name]: [name]Annabelle[/name] is one of my all-time favorite names, but something about the flow sounds “off” to me. Hmm…

From this group, I’m voting for either [name]Ebony[/name] [name]Lillian[/name] or [name]Ebony[/name] [name]Wilhelmine[/name].

with

Beya [name]Lillian[/name]: I think this is stunning!
Beya [name]Wilhelmine[/name]: Ditto…
Beya Oliversen: I prefer the other combos…

From the Beya group, I really love Beya [name]Lillian[/name] and Beya [name]Wilhelmine[/name].

I think I’d personally go with [name]Ebony[/name] [name]Wilhelmine[/name] [name]Brooks[/name] and Beya [name]Lillian[/name] [name]Brooks[/name].

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the replies! Your input is very helpful :slight_smile:

Thanks, grace! I fell in love with Beya the minute DH suggested it.

I agree, twinkle, [name]Wilhelmine[/name] has never been my favorite name, but I loved my grandma and I wanted to consider her full name just to give me more mn choices.

It seems as if the majority of you guys seem to like [name]Ebony[/name] [name]Annabelle[/name] the best - but I can see where jill gets the slightly “off” flow. [name]Both[/name] [name]Ebony[/name] and [name]Annabelle[/name] have stress on the first syllable and have the same amount of syllables, so it creates a sort of bounciness in the name that some might like and some might not like.

Ok, so far, Beya [name]Lillian[/name] has 3 votes and is definitely in the lead, [name]Ebony[/name] [name]Annabelle[/name] has 2, and both [name]Ebony[/name]/Beya [name]Wilhelmine[/name] have 1. I’ll show the results to DH and see what he thinks.

Thanks again!

Congratulations! [name]Lovely[/name] name choices!

My vote goes to [name]Ebony[/name] [name]Annabelle[/name] and Beya [name]Lillian[/name].
I think they flow/look best, plus this way you get to honour both grandmothers and not just one :slight_smile:

Thanks you! That’s 4 for Beya [name]Lillian[/name] and 3 for [name]Ebony[/name] [name]Annabelle[/name].