Edgar? Alasdair? Good... or not so good?

In the eternal search for a boy’s name we both like, my husband keeps suggesting [name]Edgar[/name]. Not [name]Edward[/name] or [name]Edmund[/name] or any other [name]Ed[/name]-name, just [name]Edgar[/name].

[name]Edward[/name] is obviously very popular for boys, but [name]Edgar[/name] doesn’t seem to be up there at all… which is interesting because they both have the same nickname possibilities ([name]Ed[/name], [name]Ned[/name], [name]Eddie[/name] etc).

The other name he likes is [name]Alasdair[/name]. This one is tricky, because while I love it for a grown man, but I’m not sure I can see it on a little boy…? Am also not a fan of the nickname [name]Al[/name]. Although [name]Dair[/name] is quite cute. I can also foresee a lot of spelling/pronounciation problems with this one… i.e. it’s [name]Alasdair[/name], not [name]Alistair[/name], etc.

If baby is a girl she will be [name]Clementine[/name]. So I guess we want something that works with that style of name, in case we go on to have a girl next time.

So what do you think Berries? [name]Edgar[/name] and [name]Alasdair[/name]… yay or nay?? thanks :slight_smile:

I like [name]Edgar[/name], it’s a favorite of mine.

I’m a big [name]Edgar[/name] [name]Allan[/name] [name]Poe[/name] fan, so I kind of have a soft spot for [name]Edgar[/name]. If you’re in the US though, you may want to consider that [name]Edgar[/name] is extremely popular in the Hispanic community. That may not bother you though. [name]Alasdair[/name] would definitely be a bold choice, but I don’t think it’s anything a little boy couldn’t handle.

[name]Both[/name] seem perfectly usable to me(though I like [name]Alasdair[/name] a bit better), and I think they go well with [name]Clementine[/name] too.

I love [name]Edgar[/name]. It’s on my list of favorites.

I like [name]Alasdair[/name] better than [name]Edgar[/name] but both are definitely usable. If you choose [name]Alasdair[/name], there may be problems with pronunciation depending on where you live but I wouldn’t worry too much about that issue. Once you tell people how to pronounce it, everything will be fine. [name]Edgar[/name] is ok but I prefer [name]Edward[/name] or [name]Edmund[/name]. I can’t see a baby or boy called [name]Edgar[/name] as it sounds more like a name for an old man. [name]How[/name] about [name]Edwin[/name] or [name]Edison[/name] as a compromise?

I love [name]Alasdair[/name]. To be honest I just don’t think the spelling matters. I gave myself wacky spelling at 10 and seem to be stuck with it for life (I am now 35 and a published author, who spells my name with an i instead of a y). When it matters I correct people, when it doesn’t I just let it go. I wonder if you’d change your mind about [name]Al[/name] - when we named our daughter [name]Frederique[/name] neither of us liked [name]Freddy[/name] (preferring [name]Fred[/name]). And yet it evolved that some people called her [name]Freddy[/name] (my parents, creche) and though it rankled at first, it grew on me and now we do too occasionally.

[name]Edgar[/name] is cute! The [name]Ed[/name] names are kind of out for us because of [name]Fred[/name], but I think [name]Edgar[/name] is a great alternative to the wonderful but sadly over-popular name [name]Edward[/name]. For what it’s worth my favourite nickname is [name]Teddy[/name], and I am almost considering using it, even with the [name]Fred[/name] problem.

I like both names :slight_smile:
I do have a question, though, are you really particular about [name]Alasdair[/name] being pronounced differently from [name]Alistair[/name]? I think when said quickly, they sound almost the same.

I have to say, though, [name]Edgar[/name] is on my long list but I hadn’t payed it much attention. Now I am really glad you brought it up because it’s really growing on me!

[name]Edgar[/name] is okay, I don’t feel strongly enough about it to either like it or dislike it.

[name]Alasdair[/name], however, I love! Perfect for a baby, a boy, a teenager and a man! And [name]Dair[/name] is a great nickname :slight_smile: