Eero vs Eiro in english-speaking countries

The Finnish versions of [name_m]Eric[/name_m] and [name_m]Eirik[/name_m],

[name_m]Eero[/name_m]
or
[name_m]Eiro[/name_m]

Which do you feel is the best choice when living in an [name_f]English[/name_f] speaking country?

2 Likes

I’m not from an [name_f]English[/name_f] speaking country, although I have lived in one! [name_f]My[/name_f] first thought was that [name_m]Eero[/name_m] may remind [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers of the word “eerie”, which isn’t a very good association. I think you’d have to explain the pronunciation of both names, but with [name_m]Eiro[/name_m] people would probably pronounce it more like the original than they would with [name_m]Eero[/name_m]? So [name_m]Eiro[/name_m] is my pick! It’s a really lovely name, by the way :yellow_heart:

1 Like

thank you for your perspective! :white_heart:

Uk perspective here!

I feel like I’d instuitively pronounce it wrong either way :person_shrugging:

I don’t think [name_m]Eero[/name_m] is EER-o. I don’t think [name_m]Eiro[/name_m] is EYE-ro. I feel like it should be EH-ro / air-o (depending on your accent)

So, I’d say, read what other people here have to say, see if this is just a me thing, getting both wrong, - but if not, I’d just go with whatever spelling you like best

2 Likes

US English speaker here! I’d most intuitively pronounce Eiro as air-o, which I believe is the correct pronunciation - correct me if I’m wrong, so I’d go with Eiro. Eero definitely makes me want to say Ear-o.

I could see the Eye-ro pronunciation happening every now and then for Eiro, but I think it’s more likely to be pronounced correctly in comparison!

1 Like

USA Midwest raised/East coast currently

How are you wanting this pronounced? Eero would be said (at least here) more like “arrow” and Eiro would be said more like eye-row. (Iroh, the character from Avatar, comes to mind).

2 Likes

I like [name_m]Eero[/name_m]! I actually know an [name_m]Eero[/name_m] in the US.

1 Like

Pnw USA. Here I feel like [name_m]Eero[/name_m] would get the arrow prn. Where as [name_m]Eiro[/name_m] might get Eye-ro. However I feel people here would be slightly hesitant with either of them and open to correction as they arent common.

1 Like

For an English-speaking Aussie, Erro would get you closer to the pronunciation but that’s not helpful. I would go with whichever spelling and pronunciation you like best and it’ll be a quick correction for most speakers but that’s OK! It’s a cool name either way! If I had to choose, I’d say Eiro looks a bit better and will probably get you closer though I think you’ll get a lot of “Air-oh”‘s.

1 Like

[name_m]Southern[/name_m] USA here!

I would say [name_m]Eero[/name_m] ear-o and [name_m]Eiro[/name_m] eye-ro. I think that [name_m]Eiro[/name_m] would work better in an primarily english-speaking country.

2 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] vote is [name_m]Eiro[/name_m]. As a [name_m]New[/name_m] EnglandUSA [name_f]English[/name_f] speaker [name_m]Eero[/name_m] just looks like someone forgot the Z in [name_m]Zero[/name_m]. So I’d be saying it like zero without the z.

1 Like

Midewest/Great Lakes area speaker

I would pronounce [name_m]Eero[/name_m] as [name_m]Arrow[/name_m] / air-oh and [name_m]Eiro[/name_m] would be Eye-row (or like Uncle [name_m]Iroh[/name_m] from ATLA)

3 Likes

I prefer [name_m]Eero[/name_m], except that every time I see the name I think of the [name_m]Aero[/name_m] chocolate that i’m obsessed with.
It’s actually a cute name though, great choice!

1 Like

I live in an English speaking country (the US).
I have never heard of either name. I don’t think one would necessarily be easier or a better choice than the other. I would guess Eero’s pronunciation to be “ee-row” and and Eiro is “eye-row”? Or are they pronounced the same?

1 Like

To be honest, I’m not familiar with [name_m]Eiro[/name_m], so I would say [name_m]Eero[/name_m] (which I am a massive fan of!)! Because I’ve been a fan of [name_m]Eero[/name_m] for so long, I would say it right, but when I first saw it I thought it was ear-row. [name_m]Eiro[/name_m] I think I would think is eye-row. I feel like I’m too biased to say—I think [name_m]Eero[/name_m] is perfect!—but I think either is an easy correction to the correct pronunciation.

1 Like

English speakers will constantly mispronounce both in a variety of ways. Eiro might be butchered more, but the spelling of Eero is not intuitive - “Two Es?” They’re cool names, I like Eero more, but consider carefully the potential irritations or frustrations for you and child if you plan to stay in the English speaking country a long time.

1 Like

I’m in [name_f]England[/name_f] so you can’t get much more English-speaking, and I’d go for [name_m]Eiro[/name_m]. [name_m]Eero[/name_m] is too close to eerie for me and I like how [name_m]Eiro[/name_m] looks.

1 Like