Eh-va

I love the name pronounced Eh-va, but I have found no acceptable way to spell it that forces this pronunciation. [name_m]How[/name_m] would you spell it? (I live in the States.)

If you are British then maybe [name_u]Ever[/name_u]? If you are American like me that doesn’t work though sadly…maybe [name_f]Evva[/name_f]?

[name_f]Evva[/name_f] or [name_f]Evah[/name_f]

i love this pronunciation and would probably go with ehva. i honestly love that. other options are eva and just correct people (will definitely get annoying fast), evah or evva

I like [name_f]Evah[/name_f]. Ehva makes me focus on the “Eh” beginning.

1 Like

A friend of mine pronounces her name Eh-va, but spells it [name_f]Eva[/name_f].

You’d have more look with Ehva, [name_f]Evva[/name_f] or [name_f]Evah[/name_f]. But honestly some people will stay Ee-va.
[name_f]Do[/name_f] you like Evra? That seems to be more often pronounced properly as Ehv-rah.

[name_u]Ever[/name_u]?

1 Like

I live in the States and have no problem pronouncing [name_f]Eva[/name_f] as Eh-va. I have an unusually spelled name and have found, those that care will learn how to say it properly. Most of the people who don’t say it properly I won’t see again anyway. Also, with an unusual spelling, I would spell [name_f]Eva[/name_f] more mainstream… having to correct people on how to spell it will be almost as bad as it possibly being pronounced incorrectly, if not worse.

2 Likes

It’s how I pronounce [name_f]Eva[/name_f] in Portuguese. I think that this pronunciation is also used in Spanish, Italian, Swedish, [name_m]Dutch[/name_m],…

I’d just spell it like [name_f]Eva[/name_f]

[name_f]Ava[/name_f] is the first that comes to my mind.

In Australia, [name_u]Ever[/name_u] is said like this. Not sure in the US though.

[name_f]Eva[/name_f] can be pronounced as Eh-va, I believe that’s the Spanish pronunciation? I like it, and [name_f]Evah[/name_f] for you!

@Kipperbo1 I’m intrigued, how do Americans pronounce [name_u]Ever[/name_u]?

Ditto! The only [name_f]Eva[/name_f] I personally know pronounces her name like this.

All the Evas I know pronounced their name like that, but keep in mind that I dont live in a [name_f]English[/name_f] speaking country.
I would use [name_f]Eva[/name_f] and just told them the pronunciation I want them to use. Or use Ehva if you want to avoid pronunciation problems.

@floatinthesky
I think she means that Americans say [name_u]Ever[/name_u] as ev-err and Aussies say [name_u]Ever[/name_u] as ev-uh.

@AlisonMarie I would suggest [name_u]Ever[/name_u], as that would work in Australia, but otherwise [name_f]Evva[/name_f] seems to be the most realistic option, it reminds me of [name_f]Etta[/name_f].

I would suggest [name_f]Evva[/name_f] or Ehva… but personally those spellings don’t look that nice to me. I would just spell it [name_f]Eva[/name_f] and correct people who use a different pronunciation. Admittedly, I would automatically pronounce [name_f]Eva[/name_f] as EE-va but I don’t think EH-va would be overly confusing or hard for [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers to grasp. I mean, it’s how the beginning of [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] is pronounced.

1 Like

I have two friends called [name_f]Eva[/name_f], one pronounced ee-va and the other eh-va. If you were in the UK [name_u]Ever[/name_u] would be the best spelling to make sure people pronounced it right. If [name_u]Ever[/name_u] doesn’t work though I’d just go with [name_f]Eva[/name_f] and correct those who get it wrong.

I was introduced to my friend as ‘eh-va’ and have never called her ‘ee-va’. The people who matter will pronounce it correctly!