Eiza

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I are expecting our first baby. I’m American and he is Mexican. We don’t know the gender yet and are looking for names that work in Spanish and [name_f]English[/name_f], are unique, and not too difficult to pronounce in either language. We both agree that we like the name [name_f]Eiza[/name_f] (Ay-za) for a girl. It is the name of a popular Mexican actress so it is well known in Mexico, but will it work in the US? [name_u]Will[/name_u] everyone end up pronunciating it eye-za? What are your thoughts when you hear this name?

We are stumped on boy names. We are looking for the same criteria. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated!

I would’ve pronounced it eye-za on first glance but it’s an easy correction. I much prefer ay-za to eye-za though! I think it’s a really pretty name.

3 Likes

I pronounced it eye-za on first glance. What if you spelled it [name_f]Aiza[/name_f] or Ayza instead? It wouldn’t necessarily match the original Mexican spelling but it would add to the uniqueness of the name and make it easier for [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers to pronounce.

For a boy’s name, the name [name_m]Aurelio[/name_m] has been on my radar lately. [name_m]Elio[/name_m] could be the nickname!

Good luck!! [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps! :relaxed:

1 Like

I would’ve said eye-zuh or ay-ee-zuh. But if you don’t mind correcting people I do think ay-zuh is adorable.

Some other suggestions… (idk popularity in mexico so forgive me if these are too popular)

Irais- ee-dye-ees another that might require some correction but I love it.
[name_f]Araceli[/name_f]
[name_f]Belen[/name_f]
Azaroa
[name_f]Beata[/name_f]
[name_f]Berezi[/name_f]
[name_f]Dayana[/name_f]
[name_f]Esti[/name_f]

For boys the only one I can think of off the top of my head is [name_m]Esai[/name_m] (ee-sigh)

Sorry I didnt see you were looking for mainly boy names. Looking through my list some other boy names might be…

[name_m]Alonzo[/name_m]
[name_m]Ander[/name_m]
[name_m]Benoni[/name_m]
[name_u]Cato[/name_u]
[name_m]Elio[/name_m]
[name_m]Eliseo[/name_m]
[name_m]Eneko[/name_m]
[name_m]Ezio[/name_m]
[name_m]Faro[/name_m]
Hodei
Iah
[name_m]Isandro[/name_m]
[name_m]Itzal[/name_m]
[name_u]Liron[/name_u]
[name_u]Mio[/name_u]
[name_m]Nazaire[/name_m]
Ortzi
[name_m]Osias[/name_m]
[name_m]Sendoa[/name_m]
[name_m]Tulio[/name_m]
[name_m]Ulysses[/name_m]
[name_m]Xanti[/name_m]

On first glance I would have pronounced it eye-za, but I think that it would be easy to correct and I don’t think it would cause much of a problem. If you love the name and it’s special to you, I would definitely use it, it’s lovely!

It might get mispronounced or misread as [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], but I think they would be easy corrections. It’s a lovely name! Warm and bright!

Some boys names:

[name_m]Amadeo[/name_m]
[name_m]Hector[/name_m]
[name_m]Ignacio[/name_m]
[name_m]Rico[/name_m]
[name_m]Leandro[/name_m]

[name_f]Eiza[/name_f] is lovely - people might guess the pronunciation wrong but once you know it’s Ay-za that’s easy to remember. To me it sounds familiar (thanks to other names it shares sounds with) yet unexpected and refreshing. All around a beautiful name.

[name_f]Eiza[/name_f] is pretty. I’ve never heard it used before , instinctively I mispronounced the name

[name_m]Boy[/name_m] names you might like

[name_m]Arturo[/name_m]
[name_m]Miguel[/name_m]
[name_m]Julio[/name_m]
[name_m]Luis[/name_m]

i originally read it as eye-za and i think in the US it could be mistaken for eliza however i do prefer the ay-za pronunciation

Its very close to [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] in spelling and yeah it would be pronounced and spelled wrong but a lot of names are. It wouldnt be a big deal.

Ay-za was my instinctive pronunciation. I like it, it’s sweet

Thank you everyone! This was super helpful. I think by going with the alternative spelling [name_f]Aiza[/name_f], we will clear up the pronunciation issue and the similarity to [name_f]Eliza[/name_f].

1 Like