Elective C section?

I am not pregnant we are TTC our third from [name_f]May[/name_f].

I was thinking a lot about c sections and that I would probably ask for one this time round due to the following reasons.

-I have higher end of normal Blood pressure, which is likely to be elevated more from the 2nd trimester onwards, which of course puts me at risk for pre-eclampsia.

• I had post partum hemorrhages with my previous boys. One resulting in two blood transfusions.

• I have sinus tachycardia in my pregnancies ( high resting pulse) which is a lot on my heart as my resting pulse is equivalent to running a marathon.

Do you think it’s reasonable for me to ask for a c section given the above?
I am in the UK so I’d be interesting in hearing experiences with asking for an elective C section? And would this be classed as an elective C section or does it just get classed as scheduled/warranted one lol due to my health??

What happens exactly, do they call and schedule and let you chose from some dates?

Was the recovery ok?
Would you recommend it?

Thanks

1 Like

Totally reasonable. You need to advocate for your own health. Don’t ‘ask.’ You don’t need permission to deliver your baby from your body in a medical event the way that you want and feel is best for your health.

My c section recovery was great, much better than my friends’ vaginal recoveries. That said, I had an amazing surgeon who focuses on minimally invasive…well, everything. You won’t want just any OB to do the csection. You’ll find that recovery experiences vary greatly. A great surgeon will do a much better surgery and incision/closure, which will affect recovery experience greatly.

1 Like

Do you think I am likely to get one if I ask? I would honestly be so worried a third time. I have the emotional/mental resilience it’s just the physical lets me down lol

I’m not a medical professional, but it sounds like you have some very legitimate medical reasons why a c section would be a better choice, even if it was just for your mental health. Plus it’s your body and your baby, you definitely have a say on how you want to Bring them into the world! (And I know people who have had elective c section for way less medically important reasons.)

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Thank you for your feedback. The thing is I am in the UK. As you know we have the NHS so we can’t really seek out a surgeon. We get whoever is working that day so to speak. I’d imagine they would be very experienced in their field though.