Elena, Alaina or Alina

What are your thoughts on [name]Elena[/name], [name]Alaina[/name] and [name]Alina[/name]?

Which do you prefer and why?

[name]Elena[/name]: “[name]Elle[/name]-lain-ah”
[name]Alaina[/name]: “ah-lain-ah”
[name]Alina[/name]: “ah-leen-ah”

It’s between [name]Elena[/name] and [name]Alina[/name]. [name]Alaina[/name] feels made-up, [name]IMO[/name].
I prefer [name]Elaine[/name] or [name]Helena[/name].

I love [name]Elena[/name]. She looks so much classier than the others. [name]Lucia[/name] and [name]Elena[/name] are so beautiful together as well :slight_smile:

Agree 100% with the above. Great names!

I like [name]Elena[/name] and [name]Alina[/name]. [name]Even[/name] though they sound so similar, they give off completely different images to me. [name]Elena[/name] has darker coloring and is more modern while [name]Alina[/name] has lighter coloring and is more vintage. [name]Alaina[/name] doesn’t necessairly sound made up to me, but there’s just something off about it.

I think both [name]Elena[/name] and [name]Alina[/name] would match [name]Lucia[/name] well, but I especially like [name]Elena[/name] with [name]Lucia[/name].

My first choice is [name]Alina[/name]. Second would be [name]Alaina[/name]. I’ve never been a fan of [name]Elena[/name] because it is Spanish and doesn’t follow the English rules of pronunciation, which I think could get confusing to uninformed people. You may also like two of my favorite names, [name]Alana[/name] (uh-LAWN-uh) and [name]Alisa[/name] (uh-[name]LEE[/name]-suh).

I like the [name]Elena[/name] spelling the most. [name]Alaina[/name] does come in second, but it does look kind of “made up” to me for some reason. [name]Lucia[/name] and [name]Elena[/name] sound awesome together too!

I like [name]Alina[/name] the best. Its really been growing on my lately!

I like [name]Elena[/name] and [name]Alina[/name]. [name]Elaina[/name] is ok and so is [name]Alaina[/name], but I think the -aina spelling looks kind of trendy, to be honest - kind of reminds me of [name]Kailey[/name], [name]Hailey[/name], [name]Bailey[/name]…

[name]Elena[/name] is the more classical spelling in terms of the first two, I think (it’s a spanish variation of [name]Helen[/name], and is well-known). [name]Alina[/name] is nice, but I really like [name]Elena[/name] better.

I like [name]Elena[/name]. That would have been my preferred spelling of my daughter’s name ([name]Elaina[/name]), but her dad was concerned that people would pronounce it wrong. It has worked out. People usually get it right.

I really love [name]Elena[/name]! So lithe and fluid and feminine. [name]Alaina[/name] sounds so similar but is nowhere near as beautiful, imo! I have an adorable second cousin named [name]Alaina[/name], and I’ve wanted to love her name, but it just doesn’t compare to [name]Elena[/name] to me. [name]Alina[/name] is cute, but I like [name]Elena[/name] much more, personally. :slight_smile: I think [name]Lucia[/name] and [name]Elena[/name] would be gorgeous for sisters!

All of these names seem pretty overused to me. They feel very tired and worn out. If I had to choose it would be [name]Alina[/name].

For whatever it’s worth, I would pronounce as:

[name]Elena[/name]: eh-[name]LAY[/name]-nuh
[name]Alaina[/name]: uh-[name]LAY[/name]-nuh
[name]Alina[/name]: uh-[name]LEE[/name]-nuh

I know a lot of people on Nameberry use “ah” and “uh” interchangeably, but to me they’re really different. People using a truly open “ah” in name pronunciation is really unrealistic in most regions.

With that out of the way, [name]Elena[/name] and [name]Alaina[/name] will be pronounced identically by a large majority of the US population (uh-[name]LAY[/name]-nuh). [name]Alina[/name], of course, is a very different name, so it seems like the bigger question here is the “ay” vs. “ee” sound and which YOU prefer.

Personally, I prefer the “ay” sound, and of the two spelling options, [name]Elena[/name]… largely because I prefer the “eh” to “uh” beginning. [name]Even[/name] if a majority of people will pronounce [name]Elena[/name] as “uh-[name]LAY[/name]-nuh,” the “eh” sound would still filter through in my brain, I think.

I like [name]Elena[/name] and [name]Alaina[/name]. [name]Alain[/name] is a family name, so we are considering using [name]Alaina[/name] for out next if it is a girl. It annoys me when people say it looks made up. Where I live it is the female version of [name]Alain[/name], which is a common name here.

I like them in that exact order.

[name]Elena[/name]'s classy, a touch exotic, and gorgeous.
[name]Alaina[/name] feels like [name]Elena[/name]'s trendy younger sister.
[name]Alina[/name] feels like the whiny baby sister.

[name]Elena[/name] looks the most sophisticated.

I pn [name]Elena[/name] and [name]Alaina[/name] the same, prefer the [name]Elena[/name] sp. I don’t mind [name]Alina[/name], but much prefer [name]Elena[/name]. I’ve also seen it spelled [name]Alena[/name], but I still prefer [name]Elena[/name].

I hadn’t seen [name]Alena[/name] before… Interesting.
I like how bit looks but feel it might confuse
people for spelling?

I am leaning toward [name]Elena[/name] moving up the list… I like th nn potential of [name]Leni[/name] :slight_smile: