elena - how do you pn it?

See the results of this poll: How do you pn Elena

Respondents: 36 (This poll is closed)

• Eh-ley-nuh : 26 (72%)
  • Elena Tarmago (pn guide in first post) : 4 (11%)
  • other: 6 (17%)

I pronounce it so it almost sounds like [name]Alayna[/name].

It depends on if I’m saying it in Spanish or English. :slight_smile: When I say it in English, it’s more ah-[name]LAY[/name]-nah, but when I say it in Spanish, it’s more like ehy-lehy-nah–almost eh-leh-nah/eh-[name]LEN[/name]-ah, but a bit of the “AY/EY” sound, too. Pronunciation guides for other languages are complicated. lol. If I actually used [name]Elena[/name], I would probably call her a bit of both, and I’d probably use the nn [name]Leni[/name] ([name]LEN[/name]-ee).

I say it as [name]El[/name]-in-uh

I know it’s supposed to sound like [name]Elaina[/name] so I try to read it like that, but I automatically think E-lee-na.

I knew a few girls named this growing up, all of them pronounced el-eh-nah

[name]Elena[/name] is traditionally an ancient Greek diminutive of [name]Helena[/name]. [name]Both[/name] e’s are epsilons so they are both pronounced the same. eh-leh-nah.

If you’re going for Spanish, I think it’s eh-lay-nah…but I now that in Greek it’s eh-leh-nah because both e’s are epsilons.

[name]El[/name]-eh-na (the eh is a cross between eh and ay)

[name]Both[/name] the Elenas I know pronounce it eh-len-ah.

I’d pronounce it [name]El[/name]-ay-nah.

I’d want to pronounce it [name]El[/name]-AY-Nah but I know that it depends on which nationality your focusing on. It’s quite common in Romania (where my family is from;) but I’m not sure of the pronounciation for different countries. I definitely prefer [name]El[/name]-AY-Nah compared to [name]El[/name]-EE-Nah. Good luck!

I pronounce it el-in-ah

I say it ay-[name]LAY[/name]-nah.

I pronounce it [name]Elaina[/name]. I think the [name]Elena[/name] spelling is gorgeous, but took it off my favourites list because of pronounciation problems…Still think its lovely though :slight_smile: